RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: CR Brophy Tie Downs?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> CR Brophy Tie Downs?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
msully

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone using these to tie down their camper? I was looking at the version that does not go in the stake pocket. I like the idea of not drilling holes in teh bed for Happijac or having the low hanging Torklifts. Any thoughts?

DiscoChicken

Lawrenceville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

these don't see too hefty to me. I like the idea, but wouldn't trust my camper on them. Maybe a smaller pop up.

Adventurer/Ford

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some clamp over the bed rail style tie downs. They may or may not be Brophy brand. I used them on my first camper on both ends and my second camper only in the front. They work fine on an older truck with thick enough sheet metal and with a camper that's not too overly big or heavy.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Gripnriprod

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msully wrote:

Anyone using these to tie down their camper? I was looking at the version that does not go in the stake pocket. I like the idea of not drilling holes in teh bed for Happijac or having the low hanging Torklifts. Any thoughts?
I suggest you put the details of you TC in your signature. It is difficult give you an accurate response without knowing which TC you have and which truck you use. Or put the info in your post if you don't want it in your sig.
A decision on tiedowns is a function of the weight of the TC and the strength of the bed of your truck. A rule of thumb is the newer the truck, the lighter the weight of the materials of construction of the bed.

'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brophy standard stake pocket tie down:

Brophy says that these will not fit on 2011 Dodge Ram trucks.

Brophy super heavy-duty stake pocket tie down (for newer pickups):

Brophy says these will not work on some double wall truck beds.

Interesting approach, however, as others have said, these may only work for lighter campers and beds/stake pockets with sufficiently beefy sheet metal. Even though I have a pop-up TC, I would not use these as I do too much off-road travel. YMMV

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DonCurley wrote:

Brophy standard stake pocket tie down:

Brophy says that these will not fit on 2011 Dodge Ram trucks.

I have a set of these, had them for years. I would only use them in newer trucks for short runs, kinda like an emergency. I have used them full time in years past, on a '69 and '71 GMC pick-up. They had more steel in the beds then.

I would be very hesitant using them in today's trucks, maybe for a real light TC, and definitely not off road. I think they would damage the pick-up box. The TC would not come off, but the damage could be costly.

Wayne

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd only do it if you have a really light camper.

'10 F450 Lariat CrewCab DRW, 6.4 PSD, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, Long Bed. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 11:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a set similar to those back int he 80's and they helped break the bed in my 1979 F-250. I went from them, after repairing the bed to a home made belly bar. Much better.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

The Salt

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I am using right now and will probably swap to a heavy duty frame based method in the next few weeks. They are solid for lighter weight TCs but my situation is less desirable.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suggestion is to use care and try to avoid those situations as much as you can that has the TC rocking side to side. Front to rear would be no problem.

Wayne

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> CR Brophy Tie Downs?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS