|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Tent Camping in Extreme Heat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zack0109

Newport dunes

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 01:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much thanks for above helpful advices. I agree that an electric fan or cooler A/C may give a hand. And absolutely I think I would like to choose the electric fan. That's enough. Thanks again and wish u can enjoy camping.

Into the wild.Pop Up CanopyPop Up Canopy

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 03:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

13 years ago when I met my wife, I took her and her son camping to Myrtle Beach in August. We stayed in a tent. During the day, we obviously were not in the tent. At night, we used an electric oscillating fan. We ended up sleeping above the covers. At night while you sleep, your body temperature drops, so you will start to cool off. Also, if there is a bathhouse, take a shower before going to bed. That will help you be more confortable. Keep airflow through the tent available at all times unless rain depicts otherwise. Keep hydrated with lots of water also. When we were camping, it was in the mid 90's and about 90-100% humidity.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Camper Bruce

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my early camping days I tent camped and used a small 12 volt fan and a cord running back to the car or truck, this power cord was also helpful when inflating/ de-flating a queen size air mattress to sleep on.

zack0109

Newport dunes

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

13 years ago when I met my wife, I took her and her son camping to Myrtle Beach in August. We stayed in a tent. During the day, we obviously were not in the tent. At night, we used an electric oscillating fan. We ended up sleeping above the covers. At night while you sleep, your body temperature drops, so you will start to cool off. Also, if there is a bathhouse, take a shower before going to bed. That will help you be more confortable. Keep airflow through the tent available at all times unless rain depicts otherwise. Keep hydrated with lots of water also. When we were camping, it was in the mid 90's and about 90-100% humidity.

Helpful, thanks. In mid 90's, I think camping must be more interesting. Sometimes I miss the old days...
Have fun and enjoy the spring time.

zack0109

Newport dunes

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper Bruce wrote:

In my early camping days I tent camped and used a small 12 volt fan and a cord running back to the car or truck, this power cord was also helpful when inflating/ de-flating a queen size air mattress to sleep on.

Seems good idea. Thanks.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can blow the fan across ice, you would be surprised how cool it will feel. Did this to survive in S&B, when AC unit went out it July. I froze gallon jugs of water, then put ice block in shallow bowl and set the fan behind it. Have camped many times in tent in summer, glad I have TT with COLD air now.

as others have said, sit tent where it is not in sun all day, tie the rain fly out far enough that air can circulate around tent and into any vents. and go ahead and get a site with electricity so you can run a fan. at Boy Scout camp, I have run 200 ft extension cord, so I could stay for the week. (Gotta have some sleep when you are trying to keep up with 15+ boys for the week)

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Options abound:

on down to all manner of fans. But to deal with humidity (which is my personal comfort issue), you're going to have employ some kind of a/c.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fans, if you have electric available. Otherwise, find trees and woods (trees respire - evaporative cooling - it's generally 5-10 degrees cooler in the woods). You already mentioned water, the other natural way to cool.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the days when the kids were small, we didn't have a camper, and still wanted to camp, the biggest difference we found was to get used to the heat by staying out of the AC for a week or so before the trip. We turned the home AC up to about 80 degrees and spent a lot of time out doors.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2011 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am partial to Vortex fans! Put some ice cubes and water in a sprayer to spritz yourself if you wake up. Wear a sweatband around your head, or one of those fancy cooling cloths they make now. Tell yourself it's a free sauna! LOL! There's a part of me that enjoys the challenge of super hot days & nights camping...I feel like I toughed it out and made it! But I can only do it for a couple nights.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Tent Camping in Extreme Heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS