|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Pros and Cons of double towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
gdsterrett

Delphi, IN 46923

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering getting a small (5x8) utility trailer to carry 2 kayaks and 2 bikes plus other assorted stuff that we seem to have to take when we go in the MH. This will be attached to the Jeep whichis attached to the Motorhome. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this or has had any issues doing this. I know some states frown on this. However, we sat in a campground in one of these states that supposedly frowns on this and watch many double toads come and go.
Always happy to hear a healthy exchange of ideas and opinions, Dan

The Motorhome is a 33'Holiday Rambler Admiral with the Ford V-10 and the Jeep will have brakes.

* This post was edited 03/21/12 04:32am by gdsterrett *

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 04:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on the MH you intend to tow with. No gasser has enough to pull all of that so what do you pull with? You will need brakes on the Jeep and be very able to stop.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

A lot depends on the MH you intend to tow with. No gasser has enough to pull all of that so what do you pull with? You will need brakes on the Jeep and be very able to stop.

The Ford V10 has more than enough power to pull the Jeep, and a additional 250 pound trailer with 2 50 pound kayaks will not phase it at all. If it does, I might suggest leaving behind 50 gallons of water, it is really that much difference - nothing overall.

Even many diesels that are 5,000 pounds heavier only have 300 - 325 HP engines, and lose 45 HP through that Allison transmission, so they have less power to the pavement than the V10 by Ford.

Yes you need to check the overall length, and that is limited to only 65' in most states, 70' in a few. You also need a commercial drivers license, and keep a current medical certificate, as well as using a log book, with time in service details already filled out in case you are stopped. It is a real bummer to get stopped 1 hour into a 2 hour drive home, and being told "You have to spend the next 8 hours here doing your rest period, because you did not document the time that you went into service, and I don't know if you have been driving for the past 14 hours or not, so spend 8 hours resting - then it will be safe for you to drive home, sometime around midnight."

Your local DMV should have all the paperwork to get a commercial drivers license. I don't know if they have a special one for drivers of RV's or not. The only 3 people that I know that double tow also drove big rigs for a living, so towing a 35' fifth wheel with a 18' boat trailer behind that was no big deal.

Fred.

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others mentioned, you really need to check the laws where you'll be driving. I know some places don't allow the 1st tow to be a bumper pool. Some places also require a different DL to double tow. And some places simply don't allow double towing.

Personally if it was just kayaks and bikes and some more stuff, I'd just put everything on the toad.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First up is the various state laws limit double towing. You will need to research it.

Second is the overall weight of the jeep, trailer and coach loaded with stuff. You hitch receiver is probably only rated to 5K and how much GCWR your coach has available is in question. Best not stress test them.

If tow laws allow and your weight is under the coach limits about the only problem is dealing with the trailer at the camp sit. Also you will need to plan all your movements. No way to back up even a few feet if you get into a tight spot without disconnecting everything.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

kcstepp1992

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the biggest issue will depend on your overall length. You should check whatever states you are visiting and see what their laws are on it.

I know others would just carry their kayaks and bikes on their jeep as well.

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Even many diesels that are 5,000 pounds heavier only have 300 - 325 HP engines, and lose 45 HP through that Allison transmission, so they have less power to the pavement than the V10 by Ford.

And those diesels have 300-500 lbs more TORQUE and more tranny gears so they can stay right in the power band

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

danoren

Where ever I Camp

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only PROS I see in double towing is having all the staff you wanted with you on the trip,All the rest is CONS like Climbing Grades,fitting into C.G and Fuel consumption.

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Good Sam,TomTom GO720
Website

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gdsterrett wrote:

. I know some states frown on this. However, we sat in a campground in one of these states that supposedly frowns on this and watch many double toads come and go. .

I just love it. somebody else gets by with breaking the law so it is now open to all. if Indiana "frowns" on this, that means it is "ILLEGAL" not just frowned on. Hit somebody while illegally towing and get your check book out. I saw somebody pull into a truck stop off I-95 in VA with a motorhome pulling a full size pickup, towing a large boat. looked impressive but I did not conclude that this was legal in VA.
bumpy

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest con I see is That Most I repeat Most if not all states will not allow you to double tow the set up you describe. You are towing with a ball hitch from MH to Towed and another ball hitch from towed to trailer it is simply not allowed. The fivers get away with it because of the Pin hitch on the truck to fiver set up.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Pros and Cons of double towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS