|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Pros and Cons of double towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

bsinmich wrote:

A lot depends on the MH you intend to tow with. No gasser has enough to pull all of that so what do you pull with? You will need brakes on the Jeep and be very able to stop.

The Ford V10 has more than enough power to pull the Jeep, and a additional 250 pound trailer with 2 50 pound kayaks will not phase it at all. If it does, I might suggest leaving behind 50 gallons of water, it is really that much difference - nothing overall.

Even many diesels that are 5,000 pounds heavier only have 300 - 325 HP engines, and lose 45 HP through that Allison transmission, so they have less power to the pavement than the V10 by Ford.

Yes you need to check the overall length, and that is limited to only 65' in most states, 70' in a few. You also need a commercial drivers license, and keep a current medical certificate, as well as using a log book, with time in service details already filled out in case you are stopped. It is a real bummer to get stopped 1 hour into a 2 hour drive home, and being told "You have to spend the next 8 hours here doing your rest period, because you did not document the time that you went into service, and I don't know if you have been driving for the past 14 hours or not, so spend 8 hours resting - then it will be safe for you to drive home, sometime around midnight."

Your local DMV should have all the paperwork to get a commercial drivers license. I don't know if they have a special one for drivers of RV's or not. The only 3 people that I know that double tow also drove big rigs for a living, so towing a 35' fifth wheel with a 18' boat trailer behind that was no big deal.

Fred.
X-2, I agree with Fred! If your gas rig does have trouble pulling hills have a Gale Banks kit installed and that will do the trick. GaleBanks.com

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:

Double towing in CA is not legal. When it was a few years back it had to be a fifth wheel trailer dragging a boat trailer, nothing else.

Sully has the cheapest, legal answer. Bike rack and a rack for kayaks.

"Double towing in CA is not legal."
Can you quote the CA Vehicle Code that says that?
I would be very interested in seeing it, since I have been told that towing two trailers IS legal, but CA residents are required to have a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement. Apparently the Class A CDL is required because the Doubles Endorsement can not be added to any other license.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 03:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when people say that "they have been told" this or that, have they been told in writing by an authorized source or just heard in casual talk? If you have a letter from the state DMV explicitly setting out that what you intend to do is legal that you can show to any law enforcement officer that is one thing, but if all you have is rumor innuendo, or water cooler talk, that is completely worthless IMHO.
I would suggest that those who claim that they "have been told" please scan and attach the document to their post. As Judge Judy always sez, "get it in writing".

bumpy

WillieD

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 04:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check this web site out, it list all 50 states requirements. For those states that do not allow - stay away, spend your money elsewhere.
This is not a goverment site, so you would neet to confirm.
http://www.wideworldrv.com/tsl/tsl.php

WillieD,MaryLee,and Sid
Fleetwood Excursion 40X & 2011 Colorado 4X4 Toad

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:

Double towing in CA is not legal. When it was a few years back it had to be a fifth wheel trailer dragging a boat trailer, nothing else.

Sully has the cheapest, legal answer. Bike rack and a rack for kayaks.

"Double towing in CA is not legal."
Can you quote the CA Vehicle Code that says that?
I would be very interested in seeing it, since I have been told that towing two trailers IS legal, but CA residents are required to have a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement. Apparently the Class A CDL is required because the Doubles Endorsement can not be added to any other license.

(sigh) Directly from the California Recreational Vehicle Handbook....

"One other thing to consider—you may only tow one vehicle with your non commercial Class A, B, or C driver license. You may not tow two vehicles or trailers with a non commercial Class A,B, or C driver license. EXAMPLE: You cannot tow a boat trailer and a car behind your vehicle.".....Dennis

Recreational Vehicle and Trailer Handbook

Scroll to page 29

* This post was edited 03/21/12 10:52pm by Executive *

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wldbill

SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It not just "frowned upon" but illegal. Check out this website: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm I mapped it out a few years ago and it seems about every other state doesn't allow it (illegal) so you have to plan your trips very carefully.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"One other thing to consider—you may only tow one vehicle with your non commercial Class A, B, or C driver license. You may not tow two vehicles or trailers with a non commercial Class A,B, or C driver license. EXAMPLE: You cannot tow a boat trailer and a car behind your vehicle."

Yes, that is VERY clear. For holders of NON-commercial driver licenses!
BUT, I was told (by the California Highway Patrol in Oceano, CA.) that a CA resident who holds a CLASS A CDL WITH DOUBLES ENDORSEMENT may tow recreational doubles. So, while it is ILLEGAL for the holder of A NON-COMMERCIAL driver license of ANY type to tow 2 trailers, it apparently IS legal for the holder of a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement to do so.
Thus, my question. Can you show that, IF you hold the proper license, towing 2 trailers is, in fact, illegal in CA?
Can you show that Reciprocity Agreements do not apply, and if you can legally tow 2 trailers in your home state, you can't do so in CA (assuming you meet the CA length restrictions)?
Again, of course, please quote the applicable CA Vehicle Codes.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WillieD wrote:

check this web site out, it list all 50 states requirements. For those states that do not allow - stay away, spend your money elsewhere.
This is not a goverment site, so you would neet to confirm.
http://www.wideworldrv.com/tsl/tsl.php

quite frankly I would feel safer driving in a state that doesn't allow ridiculous combinations of tow setups. why stay away and spend your money elsewhere?
bumpy

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

Blaster Man wrote:

Is all that weight within the GCWR and is the HR's hitch capable of the weight of both the toad and trailer?
With double towing, axle weight and weight in front and to rear of axle is critical no matter what the GCWR.

Sure it's critical, as is GCWR...which should not be exceeded.

skipole

Sandia Park, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something I have not seen mentioned so far is passing and being passed. If you don't care about your own safety at least think about the rest of us. Get the roof top mounts.

On all secondary roads and even on the interstate here in New Mexico you would be considered a road hazard by other drivers. With all our hills and dips it would be almost impossible for anyone to pass you safely. And forget your trying to pass one of our barely moving NM road block drunk drivers, let alone a slow semi or another RVer.

Also I'd love to see you try to take a double tow from Durango, CO to Montrose, CO. I almost puckered the seat covers off my Ford 250 when I towed my 5th wheel over that route back in 1996. (Two lane mountain road with no guard rails and 200+ ft drop offs with semi's coming from opposite direction in corners.)

IMHO YMMV.

Ski

2012 Itasca Sunstar 30T

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Pros and Cons of double towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts