|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin or Tom Tom

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rkentzel

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 12:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hated Garmin they just would not hold up bought a tom tom and still working good for the last three years

2002 Toyhauler Forest River

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 03:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rkentzel wrote:

hated Garmin they just would not hold up bought a tom tom and still working good for the last three years

Our 7 year old Garmin Street Pilot 2610 is still working. Maps are out of date, though.

Tom

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DavidP wrote:

Kalusniak wrote:

I love my Garmin. Had it for about 5 years and it rarely makes a mistake.

X2 I purchased the lifetime updates from Garmin several years ago and update it twice a year. I too like the Garmin.

I have had my Garmin for close to two years and just bought the lifetime updates. When I first got it there was a mistaken around where I lived and put in a feedback to Garmin on it and on the last update was pleasantly surprised that the error was in fact fixed to reflect an accurate display. I'm sure Tom Tom has a similar program and you have to understand they can't be 100% accurate all the time an all need our help when we find inaccuracies in their routes/etc.

Only downside is that with my 1490T you have to be diligent when following the directions locally since it doesn't account for towing, but that is not that big of an issue, just something you have to be aware of.

I really like the ability of the additional storage via a micro SD card (I have an 8GB installed in mine) and the flexibility of storing large POI files and routes that it offers. I will do a lot of my trip planning using MAPSOURCE and then down load that onto my Garmin.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back one of the "Gear head" magazines "GPS MAG" put a Garmin, A Magallin and a Tom-Tom up against each other for 3 different routes, all 3 were ask to route all 3 trips.

In each case the driver using the Garmin had an easier trip, arrived first and turned RIGHT into the parking lot.

Tom Tom was the worst and the turn into the lot was LEFT,

Magallen casme in 2nd in all 3 trips.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought the garmin 1450 on amazon. so far it seem easy to operate.also felt the price was good at $120. with free shipping

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

A while back one of the "Gear head" magazines "GPS MAG" put a Garmin, A Magallin and a Tom-Tom up against each other for 3 different routes, all 3 were ask to route all 3 trips.

In each case the driver using the Garmin had an easier trip, arrived first and turned RIGHT into the parking lot.

Tom Tom was the worst and the turn into the lot was LEFT,

Magallen casme in 2nd in all 3 trips.

I always have a jaundice eye for those kind of articles because if a writer works hard enough he can rig and come up with routes to back his view. For instance, Tom Tom knows what street I live on and how to get there but Garmin doesn't. That's a little pet peeve that's bugged me with Garmin for years. Other than that both seem OK and both don't work all that well in metro areas as they don't route very well taking in regard real things like stop signs, stop lights and prevailing traffic that can alter your time drastically.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Garmin Nuvi 1450 for my truck and the camper now. This is the second Garmin I've owned. Gave my older one to my wife for her car. We have never had any problems with either one. The 1450 has lifetime updates and has a bigger wide screen with no glare problems. It picks up well (even in my home office) and does not have to be in the windshield area.
I have a bracket that holds it lower under the radio and it works fine there.

I like the turning lane lane feature on the 1450. It tells you which lane you need to be in ahead of time (not just a right or left turn) which is real handy (++++) when I'm in the camper on a multi-lane highway in traffic. The big screen is also nice as I don't need my reading glasses to see the details. There is a newer model out now so you should be able to find a 1450 for around $120 now if you hurry.

I had a Tom Tom once. A map is better.

2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2003 Harley Superglide Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

bobmacc

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am definitely a Garmin fan. Bought my first Garmin- a GPS75 - around 1992. Have owned several since for both Marine and Auto/RV use. I have heard many complaints with regard to routing but most are the direct result of programmed user "avoidances/preferences". In my own case, I was returning to Ontario from Flint,MI and the Garmin tried to route me to Eastern upstate New You to cross into Canada -a distance of about 600 miles out of the way. Couple of days later I realized that I had set "Avoid Toll Roads" and the NY crossing was the first bridge without a toll so the dummy was in the driver's seat that day!!

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are comparing similar Garmins to Tom Toms, with similar models, features, etc, this thread is a total waste of time. Sure some of the newer Garmins will out perform on older Tom Tom, and vice-versa. I have three Tom Toms and have been well pleased with them. Can't speak to the Garmins or Magellans or whatever other brands there are cause I have had no reason to try them out.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Tom Tom about three years ago (gift). The map and routes it gave were not accurate. Left turn instead of right, etc. Nothing to do with models or older/newer. I found their database to not be even close in accuracy to what the Garmins have. Never had those problems in the same areas even with an older cheap Garmin that only had the original update.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin or Tom Tom
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS