|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Towing a Honda Goldwing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many Tow a Goldwing and use it as a towed. I sold my Harley dresser a year ago after losing interest in the whole Harley culture loud pipes thing. I had a ton of fun on Harleys for 30 years my last one a 97. Well I kinda have an itch to ride and both DW and I getting older. She is near 70 (shhhhh). So I looked at a very nice 03 Goldwing 1800 today. I took a ride and really liked the refined ride and power. Now this is not a Harley shoot out so hold your horses but there is a time for everything. I have a good trailer I could put it on and I think with the nice features such as heated grips,seats and Nice Radio etcc. I think I could ride it more and use it for our trips. Tell me your thoughts about goldwing as a toad.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

bunna

Republic Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats all I have ever used for a Toad. I have a 18foot enclosed trailer that works perfect. My MH never moves without my bike right behind it.

Randy
05 sportscoach Cross country
300 hp cummins
05 GL1800 Goldwing
05 VTX 1800F

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure to visit and join us on this website.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Trainer,
Well Sir, you're right up my alley. We had a '99 Bounder with the F-53 Chassis and the V-10. We towed an enclosed trailer with our '02 GL 1800 in it along with a tiny trailer for the Wing just in case we decided to be gone away from our camp spot for longer than a day or so. We did it for one long trip, about 3500 miles worth and about 7 western states.

The good part. The bike was always in a locked and secure environment when not in use. It was out of the weather, when ever we had bad weather that is. The bike remained clean and ready to ride, when ever we stopped for any length of time, a day, few days or a week.

The bad part. The coach was 34' long. The trailer was/is 16' long. I purchased a 7 x 16' for a reason. I'm not one of those weasels that thinks, "Lets get a trailer 6" larger in all directions so we don't use too much gas". The heck with that. I wanted ROOM while loading and unloading this large bike. I wanted room for other gear. I wanted room for two bicycles too.

Anyway, what all this means is that the total length of the rig and trailer was 55' long and that because it was a trailer and we needed access to the rear drop down tail gate, we had to have a pull through when we arrived in any campground. What we encountered was many campgrounds could not accommodate that length in a pull through. So, we moved on 'till we found one that could.

Sorry for the long dissertation but, that's what we used to do. Now, because we wanted the Wing along, and a toad for those bad weather days, we now "Carry" the Wing on the coach and tow a new Honda CRV. That way we've got the best of both worlds. It's not something every one would like but, we changed rigs in order to do just that.

I installed the lift and set it all up. The bad part, the Wings gets a bit dirty back there but not all that bad. It takes me about 15 minutes for a spruce up when I off load the bike in prep for a days ride. We love this setup. By the way, you're going to love all aspects of the Wing. Smoother, quieter, FASTER, better mileage, more advanced features, and more. We're on our 5th. Ours is an '08 Level Two, with heated grips, seats, GPS and Audio package.

You can't ask for a better ride. Anyway, here's our setup. I'd like to discuss the "tie down" points etc with you if you'd like. PM me and I'll help with whatever you might have a question about.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much does a bike like that weigh?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

How much does a bike like that weigh?

Realistically, around 850#.

I have a 2000, GL1500 that used to get a free ride in an 8.5' X 18' behind my 1990 34' Sunbus. My total overall length was 58.5' bumper to bumper. I had room for 5 bikes if needed, but usually had it set up for two with a small shop in the front to help other riders and RV'ers.

I also took a lot of the gear that was in the coach and moved it to the trailer when ever I used it. If it was just the DW and I, I could even load in the Wing and my M/C camper trailer.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

sjholt

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a 5' x 11' enclosed trailer from a neighbor to tow my 2003 1800.
It fits in there nice and is sealed off from the elements.
I use a Condor front tire mount with 4 straps and after 20k miles everything is clean and OK.
When I stop for a while, I unstrap the bike and lower the ramp and use the bike and then at night or rain or whatever, I park it back in the trailer using the Condor to hold it upright.
HTH

Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Just Bob

SD/CT/FL/WY

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you consider a Goldwing Trike? That's my dream machine.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Trainer,
This is the trailer that we used when we had the gas Bounder. We still have it. As stated earlier, we changed rigs because we wanted a toad AND THE WING. The Bounder was not up to that task. But, as you can see in the pics, having a larger trailer sure helps in being able to get around the bike for tying it down, carrying other stuff and not being cramped.

We too used the "Condor" wheel chock. It's the best investment for not only your trailering use, but, it's removeable and you can put it in the garage and drive right into it for parking and not have to use either of the stands.
Scott

UltraKen

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That will work.

Me? My two-wheeled toad was a little more modest.

I've towed it behind the Safari as well.

UltraKen
Ex - 1968 Ultra Van
NOW - 1996 Safari Sahara 35' - Model 3530 - Cat 300
Pictures of my Coach
A $93 Rear Camera System
My take on replacing tires
Used MH Checklist
Toad: Dodge Grand Caravan on Tow Dolly or 1981 Vespa on utility trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Towing a Honda Goldwing
Search:   Advanced Search