|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Traveling with pets

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GuyM

The Great Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a dog lover, but I've seen very few small dogs that are pleasant to be around at a campground. It seems they are always yapping and very annoying whether outside or inside the camper.

That said, I always take my German Shepard with me when I camp, but he is very well trained. The only time he'll bark is when he is alone in the camper and someone knocks persistently on the door several times. Other dogs walking by, even barking at him, can not get him to utter a sound. I do not have to tie him when we are hanging around the campsite, he will not leave, he stays within 10'-15' of me at all times. He can not be coaxed to leave even by people he knows. When people walk into our site he waits for them to come over to him, if they don't come to him he just comes over to me and lays down, no barking at all.

This didn't all happen by magic, it took training, but it was worth it as he is a very pleasant companion on camping trips.

Guy

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats!

We've always had quiet dogs, and the barking dogs are annoying, to be honest. That being said - you know your dogs. Are they barkers? Something to keep in mind - they may not bark at home, but may in the new rig, so I suggest that the first time you leave them, do so for just a short time (30-60 minutes). Explain to your neighbors that you're testing them out, and when you get back, ask if they barked, made noise, etc..... (We've done this with new dogs.) Be sure you exercise them heavily beforehand, so they're tired and more prone to sleep. Also might want to keep shades down, even play a quiet radio for some white noise. See how it goes, then if successful (fingers crossed ), extend the time.

Enjoy and have fun!

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

lots2seeinmyrv

Cumberland, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you rig

Not trying to be mean....just going to tell you the truth.

Are they barkers? If so...please leave them home.

Nobody wants to listen to yappers while they are out enjoying camping.

Most CG's have set of rules for pets......
Always leashed
Don't leave them alone/unattended
Pick up after them
And NO excessive barking.

If they are barkers...please leave them at home and board them because other campers will report it. Thank you!

2010 Tundra TRD 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L V8 4.30 Max Tow 10,300 Payload 1,640 Class IV Hitch 1,030
Prodigy P2 - Blue Ox Sway Pro 10K/1K lbs
2012 Evergreen Ever-lite 29FK

RoadLife

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was concerned about my dogs when we first started camping. They are medium/large dogs. After months and months of camping with them, I realized that they are among the better behaved and controlled dogs.

What I have found in campgrounds is that almost all dogs will bark a couple of times when another dog is being walked past their camping spot. So far, folks are pretty tolerant of this.

I have seen smaller dogs that were well behaved, barking occasionally. People with "yappy" dogs tended to keep their dogs inside and that seems to keep the outside noise down.

Take them with you and see what works for you. Look for some training techniques to curb the barking if it is too much

ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Hi, not all dogs can be trained to be quiet. Little dogs are sometimes, what I call, Yapee doos. I had one little dog that was like this and if she started to get wound up, like when seeing other dogs especially large ones, I would put her inside of my trailer and she would stop barking. People don't want to hear dogs barking.

Although certainly some dogs are more prone to barking than others, the situation you're describing is a training deficiency, not a dog that "can't" be trained.

When my yappy little dog gets wound up in an inappropriate situation, I step in and cause her to unwind. Removing the dog teaches nothing and only creates unwanted associations in the dog's mind.

It's important to understand this and I'm making a point of it, because one of the reasons that so many people have such poorly behaved dogs is their belief, fed by statements such as this one, that the dog isn't capable of learning.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

canadian redneck

Petrolia, On. Canada 42n52, 82w09

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kalynzoo wrote:

Many parks have type and size restrictions on dogs in the campground. It is not uncommon to see weight limits of 20lbs. Since this is part of the insurance restriction in many private campgrounds it will probably be enforced. Also many parks have a restriction on the number of dogs. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the rules of the park before you head out on vacation.
Happy Trails.

I have yet to run into size restrictions, heck our 8 week old puppy is over 20 lbs !! but yes we have seen a limit of only 2 dogs on a site though

2006 F350 CC SB 6.0 PSD dragging along a Golden Falcon 29RG 5'er

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start teaching them not to be yappy at home before you ever take them camping. The extra distractions at a campground will usually set off a yapper, due to increased anxiety over a new situation. I keep a squirt bottle of 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar handy. It won't hurt them, but it will get their attention to interrupt the undesired behavior.

I have a poodle who was a yapper when we got him. He's fine now. Definitely keep the shades down so they can't see anyone, and the t.v. on for white noise if you do take them camping. Immediately correct any barking when they're outside with you. Never leave them outside if you're not there with them.

Maybe you could just take one of them with you at first and board the rest. Just a thought. They tend to really bark if they have company.

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
2 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?) and Sunny (toy poodle)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Theres one thing worse than a yappy pup, and thats there owners (YELLING) at them to be quiet.

if you don't think they will behave probly should leave them home.

my two are so timmid there afraid to bark, (it scares them)

1993 Dodge cummins crankin out some torque,
2003 Lance 1071 loaded to the hilt

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take them out and let them get acclimated to your rig, before you go anywhere.
If you are cleaning or packing have them there with you. The first time out, we camped in a friend's driveway. Our dogs amazed me. They behave better than they do at home. If we go out for dinner, I always close the curtains, and leave the tv on for noise. Our dogs are crate trained and we crate them so they can't get up at the windows and bark at what's going on outside. Many parks/CG's have a 2 dog limit.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Traveling with pets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: