|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> PowerMax PM3B100 Test UPDATE vs Vectors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have many examples yet, but it seems to require system voltage to be about 12.2v or 50% SOC. I can see how many AH down on the Trimetric and it is repeatable how many down it needs to be. (half way down) I don't yet know if it can be tricked by running a load.

It will take a while to get more info. Another thing I didn't do yet was compare the total time to do say a 40-80 (not a 50-90 but still 40%) with the time it takes using Vectors. Usually the time saved is up front by having a longer run of high amps. With this thing's profile, that could make the drop -off less of a factor in actual minutes it takes in comparison.

Needs more trials, but I can't get to that right now, sorry. By July, I should have a pretty good picture if you can hold your horses till then

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Needs more trials, but I can't get to that right now, sorry. By July, I should have a pretty good picture if you can hold your horses till then
We delayed our MH purchase for at least a year so take your time. Thanks for the testing.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

KendallP

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So there's still no perfect converter. Each one has it's pros and cons, but none have the complete package.

I'm somewhat aghast, quite frankly, about that absorption voltage. Who the heck came up with THAT one. And why can't anyone emulate the Vectors that seem to, for the most part, simply voltage regulate while current tapers? It's so, dang hard???

Well... cool. Glad you like your new toy, B-dog. It IS pretty suitable for 40-80% situations and being able to run a Vector or two concurrently is a plus. And I guess, for you... 100A isn't enough anyway. Your Vectors were always to be in the equation still.

Great reporting for the rest of us! Thanks!

Based on this, I would have to agree with Sal. 13.7V will take an eternity to finish the job or even get to 90%. That's Magnetek 6300 school. For my situation, I would prefer the IOTA 90... or the PD9280, but I have a 4KW gen.

Once again... who the heck came up with an absorption voltage of 13.7??? Someone ought to drag him out in the street and...

But I digress...

Cheers,
Kendall

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC
Our Camper (Don't laugh...
Unlike our credit cards... she's paid for)

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, that absorption stage does suck BUT you can adjust an internal pot and get more. I'd be inclined to do that although it should be higher from the factory.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is still this one out there. Mr Wiz has been silent on how his is doing. (hint, hint) It has the PF and a boost button plus a battery type selection AGM/Wet.

http://www.bestconverter.com/6800-Series_c_137.html

It is always possible that PowerMax may come out with a "third generation" with a different profile someday if there is a market.

I do not advise opening the box and fiddling with the voltage without knowing more about what will happen (like smoke) I need to run more tests but it will take time.

I need to run a time comparison test with Vectors to see just how critical that last part really is in overall timing to restore an equal amount of AHs. Amps would be tapering in both cases at that stage but the amps are higher with the higher absorption voltage. I am suspecting not as many minutes as all that. Hmmm. I'll get around to it.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, let's get going on that testing B! The 6800 has a 13.7V absorption voltage too (just checked the manual).

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

Well, let's get going on that testing B! The 6800 has a 13.7V absorption voltage too (just checked the manual).

But it does have the boost button. 14.4 vs 14.6 if that matters. I am hoping Mr Wiz will tell us more.

Another test for me would be to start up the 7355 after the PowerMax drops to 13.7 so their amps would add. Usually the higher voltage of the Vectors puts the 7355 out of business, but this is entirely different. Hmmmm. More work

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

68100 should hold 14.4 volts for 240 minutes compared to 14.6 for 65 minutes in the test. 240 minutes should get you to 90%... up to 400 amp hours. Although probably less as amps taper.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

68100 should hold 14.4 volts for 240 minutes compared to 14.6 for 65 minutes in the test. 240 minutes should get you to 90%... up to 400 amp hours. Although probably less as amps taper.
Well that's a lot better. And, like BFL mentioned, it does have the boost button.

KendallP

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

68100 should hold 14.4 volts for 240 minutes compared to 14.6 for 65 minutes in the test.

Voltage was never held. You were probably thinking amps.

Voltage only climbed to 14.6 and then abruptly dropped.

If the 68100 can actually reach 14.4 and hold there... that would make a WORLD of difference. And automatically on start up would be great, but for the techie types that don't mind pushing a button each time, if it would hold in boost that long, then it would dust the powermax.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> PowerMax PM3B100 Test UPDATE vs Vectors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS