RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Residential fridges and remote camping???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Residential fridges and remote camping???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Sponsored By:
FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ladies and Gents,
I've been seeing a few threads here and there about installing residential fridges in M/Hs. While the thought of a more "effecient" fridge is enticing, I'm wondering about something. Now, to the best of my knowledge, those residential fridges are only 110V AC correct?
So, if that's the case, then I'm ASSUMING that a vast majority, maybe say, 98% of the folks that install those aftermarket or, even have them installed at the factory are NOT boon docker campers. I certainly could be wrong but, I'm just guessing here.

The reason, unless you're going to run your generator 24/7, wouldn't those eat up a set of house batteries through the inverter in short order? Now, I don't even know anyone who's got a res. fridge in their coach so, I'm just speculating here. I've generally had great luck with all the fridges that came in our campers and coaches so, at present, and, for the most part, in the future, I don't think I'll ever consider converting to one.

Those that have must like them, I'm assuming. But, again, just wondering here. I guess it would stand to reason that most if not all that have res. fridges would use campgrounds/RV resorts with full hookups close to 100% of the time.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are absolutely correct. Either keep you RV refrigerator or give up boondocking! Easy decision for us.

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A two edge sword, I would like to have the res fridge because of the additional inside space but like to stop at Wally World for an overnighter. I know the fridge will chill and hold chill for over 8 hours but I don’t want to run the gen that much considering the cost of fuel.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

cdking1

el paso, texas usa

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I think you got it right. I have both and I don't know of any way to get AC without an inverter. The AC one I have outside, I have ran while driving because my engine keeps the batteries charged. Even with massive collectors on the roof, the sun only shines during the day. I think that you would have to run something or connect to the grid almost every day to keep the batteries charged enough for the inverters to work, they cut off at about 11 volts. charlie in texas

* This post was edited 09/19/12 05:57am by an administrator/moderator *

1999 Southwind ford V10
Gibson hedders and exhaust
Tacoma, 4x4 toad

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crabbin cabin wrote:

You are absolutely correct. Either keep you RV refrigerator or give up boondocking! Easy decision for us.
??? Why? You could always do this:

And he hauls a Jeep in there too!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our case, we have 540w solar and the fridge would NOT run the battery bank down. The fridge must be an energy compliant model and I know of folks that have gone over 3 days boondocking without solar and had no problems. These newer model fridges are very very energy efficient. We were going to an Amish conversion on our Norcold, but after the problem with the door heater and burned cabinet, we will now go residential when we change it out and we do a lot of boondocking.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

Ladies and Gents,
I've been seeing a few threads here and there about installing residential fridges in M/Hs. While the thought of a more "effecient" fridge is enticing, I'm wondering about something. Now, to the best of my knowledge, those residential fridges are only 110V AC correct?
So, if that's the case, then I'm ASSUMING that a vast majority, maybe say, 98% of the folks that install those aftermarket or, even have them installed at the factory are NOT boon docker campers. I certainly could be wrong but, I'm just guessing here.

The reason, unless you're going to run your generator 24/7, wouldn't those eat up a set of house batteries through the inverter in short order? Now, I don't even know anyone who's got a res. fridge in their coach so, I'm just speculating here. I've generally had great luck with all the fridges that came in our campers and coaches so, at present, and, for the most part, in the future, I don't think I'll ever consider converting to one.

Those that have must like them, I'm assuming. But, again, just wondering here. I guess it would stand to reason that most if not all that have res. fridges would use campgrounds/RV resorts with full hookups close to 100% of the time.
Scott

I cant answer for others but hopfully you will get more input.
We have a residential and 90% of the time we boondock.
To avoid having to run the genny as much we have installed 690 watts of solar and an AGS system.
You may well be correct that most use full hookups, but it is feasible to boondock for extended periods when set up to do so.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a residential fridge, I boondock for 7 days at a time and run my gen 2 hrs a day during the fall and spring which I did anyway when I had the Norcold due energy needs to do other energy demanding activities. For me, boondocking during the summer requires 24/7 gen use anyway where I camp during the summer months.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

Snowwing

WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott
It’s very disconcerting to get a letter from Norcold stating “Failure to follow these instructions can result in a fire causing property damage, injury or death” .
Essentially don’t use your motorhome until the repair facility has received the update parts (one at a time).

We have used our Norcold for two years In our current coach with no problem but whenever we leave our dogs in the coach we turn it off. We park it next to our home when not in use and turn it off. It’s a PIA. We are scheduled for the “latest” upgrade. Even after this latest upgrade I willhave zero confidence in Norcold.

It seems to me that the proper repair is to replace the cooling unit but people say that would bankrupt them (if they don’t have enough product liability insurance). Perhaps they should be out of the business.

I would love to have a house type reefer as we don’t boondock very much anymore and I’m seriously considering it.

Sorry for the rant, but they have taken a wonderful pastime and added a new worry – will my coach burn down and perhaps injure someone? I think there would be great peace of mind with stick & bricks reefer and I could deal with the power issues.
Ron

2005 Journey 36G

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to say that if you do some research, you will find that the Norcold RV fridge uses "MORE" electrical power than a good energy efficient residential fridge. I thought that was incorrect, until I started looking and it is true.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Residential fridges and remote camping???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS