|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> battery draining

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Retiredblade

Western, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

In 33 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER seen an Alternator cause a drain/draw on a battery (Coach or Chassis). That said, The Alternator CANNOT cause a drain on the coach batteries at all, as the coach batteries are NEVER connected to the Alternator unless the engine is ON. Now to all on these forums, when discussing batteries the CORRECT terminology is COACH for the RV/house batteries and CHASSIS for the Engine batteries. That makes for less confusion, instead of stating "Main" batteries as some will think Main can be Coach or Chassis. You need to charge each battery bank seperatly and then take a voltage reading WITHOUT shore power connected. IF you do NOT get at least 12.6 to 12.8 volts on EACH battery(not both or all batteries in the bank interconnected) then the battery is BAD. ONE bad battery can cause the others to discharge and if ONE is bad you ALWAYS replace all batteries in the set. GOOD batteries fully charged CANNOT drain down in 2 days even the Chassis battery. ANY draw that would drain a Chassis battery in 2 days will be easy to find just by looking for a appliance on the chassis side that is on. SMALL draws will not drain a GOOD fully charged battery in 2 days. Small draws on a COACH battery bank will not drain in 2 days. Even an INVERTER on Standby will not drain Coach batteries in 2 days but an Inverter left ON will. Doug

Good info, went out today, checked the chassis batteries (2) read 12.40, both. So, I put a 1 1/2 amp battery minder on them, will let them charge a couple of days. Take a reading again, should go to 13. Then take the charger off and take reading. Let them set a few days then read again, if below 12.60 I will replace them both.

genesimmons

n.c.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnaQuest wrote:

genesimmons wrote:

07 bounder/workhorse all batterys were loosing charge,after charging main batt for 2 days the voltage said 11.15 a day later on vm. so i disconected neg cable and charged direct to batt overnite. now i checked volts after an hour and it is reading 13.2? so i decided to charge house batts too with charger and and for the hell of it i probed the + on the chassis batt. terminal and - cable (not connected to batt) and got 13 plus volts? i guess it was coming from house batt ? i thought when storage swithes were off it killed all power? could the problem be with aux start button.

with switches off and main batt cable disconected and then switch on the disconnect switch the main bat inside rv gives 12+volt reading? to me it acts if emergency start switch or relay is messed up i hear a bump/click when turning aux and main disconnects on and off,but hear nothing when doing the aux start button. shouldn't i hear something when moving the aux start button?

If you were plugged into shore power at the time, then what you see would be normal operation, but if not plugged in, then your aux start/charging relay probably has it's internal contacts welded together. (a very common problem).

Print this document and you will be able to trouble shoot, and fix, the problem.

i wasn't connected to shore,i was charging the batts. one at a time and coach and main batt switches off. thats when i found power going to the chassis batt cable. i think that the aux start relay is stuck,cause with all batt. connected and on i don't hear a relay kick when i hold emergency start button in. also one 6v batt maybe going bad cause it won't reach %100 and that might be whats causing the drop in volts,but if the emergency relay was not stuck i think the chassis batt would be alright. i check volts on it (still dissconected) is at 13.1 volts almost two days after charging. thanks for the repair guide also. can the relay be fixed or does it have to be replaced?

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

genesimmons wrote:

can the relay be fixed or does it have to be replaced?

The AUX start solenoid is just a standard automotive solenoid. Rated for continuous duty (so a little more expensive). Not really worth repair since they're $15-$20 usually.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

genesimmons wrote:

i wasn't connected to shore,i was charging the batts. one at a time and coach and main batt switches off. thats when i found power going to the chassis batt cable. i think that the aux start relay is stuck,cause with all batt. connected and on i don't hear a relay kick when i hold emergency start button in. also one 6v batt maybe going bad cause it won't reach %100 and that might be whats causing the drop in volts,but if the emergency relay was not stuck i think the chassis batt would be alright. i check volts on it (still dissconected) is at 13.1 volts almost two days after charging. thanks for the repair guide also. can the relay be fixed or does it have to be replaced?
Battery problems can cause all kinds of unexpected problems. First step it to fully charge and then load test them.

Next remove one cable to see if the relay is the cause of the problem. If the relay which is likely a continuous duty solenoid is bad then replace it.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvrepairnut wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

In 33 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER seen an Alternator cause a drain/draw on a battery (Coach or Chassis). That said, The Alternator CANNOT cause a drain on the coach batteries at all, as the coach batteries are NEVER connected to the Alternator unless the engine is ON. Now to all on these forums, when discussing batteries the CORRECT terminology is COACH for the RV/house batteries and CHASSIS for the Engine batteries. That makes for less confusion, instead of stating "Main" batteries as some will think Main can be Coach or Chassis. You need to charge each battery bank seperatly and then take a voltage reading WITHOUT shore power connected. IF you do NOT get at least 12.6 to 12.8 volts on EACH battery(not both or all batteries in the bank interconnected) then the battery is BAD. ONE bad battery can cause the others to discharge and if ONE is bad you ALWAYS replace all batteries in the set. GOOD batteries fully charged CANNOT drain down in 2 days even the Chassis battery. ANY draw that would drain a Chassis battery in 2 days will be easy to find just by looking for a appliance on the chassis side that is on. SMALL draws will not drain a GOOD fully charged battery in 2 days. Small draws on a COACH battery bank will not drain in 2 days. Even an INVERTER on Standby will not drain Coach batteries in 2 days but an Inverter left ON will. Doug

A bad alternater diode that stays open( power goes both way) will draw a chassis battery dead as in starting batterys.

Possibly, but in 33 years I have NEVER seen that happen and I have worked on thousands of draws and YES, all have been found and fixed. IF that happens it is something that is so remote as to not even worry about it. But, IF all other parameters are dismissed, then disconnect the alternator.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

A bad alternater diode that stays open( power goes both way) will draw a chassis battery dead as in starting batterys.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RVs have those relays outside of the BCC. Like mine. So I can't help you. Are you sure that it isn't on a sidewall in the battery compartment?

genesimmons

n.c.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Most RVs have those relays outside of the BCC. Like mine. So I can't help you. Are you sure that it isn't on a sidewall in the battery compartment?

i was going by this document in the link in posts above
they are relays outside of the box,but i thought they might be inside of it cause i could see some type of solniod in it

genesimmons

n.c.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim@HiTek wrote:

genesimmons wrote:

can the relay be fixed or does it have to be replaced?

The AUX start solenoid is just a standard automotive solenoid. Rated for continuous duty (so a little more expensive). Not really worth repair since they're $15-$20 usually.

i opened the box that contains the relays and there is a circiut board in front, how difficult is it to remove it to get to the relay?

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

rvrepairnut wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Possibly, but in 33 years I have NEVER seen that happen and I have worked on thousands of draws and YES, all have been found and fixed. IF that happens it is something that is so remote as to not even worry about it. But, IF all other parameters are dismissed, then disconnect the alternator.

I only have worked on cars and trucks and this was something we use to see but as u say not commen.The only reason I brought it up was because the Chassis battery is directly connected to the alternater and the coach batterys are not

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> battery draining
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS