RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: The fuel gap is closing up.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The fuel gap is closing up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msjdbman wrote:

h2guy wrote:

Several years ago, there was a great hue and cry from the OTR owner/operators of big rigs about the high diesel costs. Things like "its gonna drive up the cost of food, furniture", "its gonna put us all outa business", "theres gonna be hundreds of trucks for sale since we can't afford the fuel", and so on.

Today, diesel is even higher and theres no (at least none publicized) out burst of protest from these same people.

Whats the difference?? Are they now relying on fuel surcharges to make money, and the shippers are accepting surcharges as just another business expense?

Primarily the answer is yes....fuel surcharges are being added in. Many of the firms that we do business with and even the company I work for add a variable fuel surcharge that varies with the cost of fuel in a given time period relative to when the base freight rates were developed.

And that is why I get passed by 18 wheelers when I'm in my car driving 70 in a 70 zone. No concerns about slowing mph to save diesel.

JnJnKatiebug

NW Arkansas River Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. When I posted the picture the gap was $0.26, today it is only $0.08 at the location.

2003 HR Endeavor 38PST
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Picture in Profile

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gap is 35cents here today.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:

And that is why I get passed by 18 wheelers when I'm in my car driving 70 in a 70 zone. No concerns about slowing mph to save diesel.
Well, we could do what they did up in Ontario, Canada. They passed a law requiring all big rigs to governed the engine so that it could not speed.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gap or what? The price is now over 3.80 avg for gas, in the area and about the same to a few pennies lower at some for diesel.
We spent over 300.00 for gas this week for Dr appts and other chores.
Washington refuses to do anything, to spoil the Oil Cabal's game, as they are playing by the rules(theirs).
Oil glut, in the west, on tankers parked around the world and middle, of the Country, all being managed to keep the price high here and every where else. imo
We simply don't matter except as the source of income for the real 1%.
They will crash America. They are crashing our pocketbook right now.

Ashbourne

UK

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all
Read the thread with interest. In the UK diesel "used" to be cheaper than gas, until diesel powered cars became more popular, now it is the reverse with a price difference of a few cents. Incidently the UK is the second highest priced country in he world for both gas and diesel, with diesel costing $8.14 per US gal.
The average annual mileage for motorists is 12000 to 15000 miles per year. An annual tax is applied to all cars and varies from nil to $600 depending on CO2 emmisions
Keep on driving safely
Mark

StewB

Smithers BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just fueld up the diesel pickup today. 1.11 for diesel and 1.15 for gas. Thats can$perLitre. In Spruce Grove AB. First time i have seen diesel cheaper than gas in a long time.

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Less then a dime here.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2005 Montana 2955 5er

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I was buying gas in most of the places listed on this thread so far. Here In NY gas is over $4.10 a gallon and diesel is almost $5. I was in Connecticut last week and prices were higher. And most of the prices listed are cash only - with an added 25 to 45 cents a gallon to use a credit card (and for an RV that is a lot of cash to carry). Here when they list the averages on the news we are way over the prices they list.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

elkhornsun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 01:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tatest wrote:

It is seasonal. Heating oil demand is down with the end of winter, gasoline demand is rising with spring travel.

That may have been true but it is not the case at this time. Demand is way down for both gas and heating fuel and yet prices are up dramatically - i.e. more than 12% in 5 days where I live. And for some reason year after year companies like Exxon have record profits. Why do you suppose that is?

I get 25% better mileage with a diesel engine and 25% more range per tankful of fuel so I can be a little more picky about where I fill up the tank and use gasbuddy.com to full advantage.

I also understand that part of the problem is the drop in the value of the dollar that the Bush administration and their allies in Congress created. A Euro was worth 95 cents when Bush took office and within two years it was worth 1.41 - and it still is at this level and will be for the next 10 years as well. That makes the oil from Saudia Arabia and Sudan and Nigeria and Iran and Libya and everywhere else a lot more expensive for Americans but we did it to ourselves with the people we elected and continue to elect.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The fuel gap is closing up.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS