|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Killing of wanted animals at CCSPCA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jim & Betty

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Folks Sad News

I am writing this as an FYI to the forum that wanted and adoptable animals are being killed at the Central California SPCA. Overall I think the SPCA is a good organization but as with anything there are exceptions and the SPCA in Fresno is, in my opinion, one of those exceptions.

Don’t take my word go here to the KMPH Channel 26 News out of Fresno.

KMPH News Story and Video about the CCSPCA and the killing of Malaya
I have taken action by writing a letter to the Fresno City Councilman Clint Olivier as seen in the following video and posting here.

Knowing that, that little dog Malaya on that woman’s shoulder is now dead is very unsettling.

JimR

nabi

Ont

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sitting here in tears...I could not turn the volume up for the video but the sadness in that little dogs eyes will haunt me for quite some time...When as a society are we going to do more to protect our dogs and cats....it should be mandatory that all dogs not being bred to improve the species should be spayed and neutered...I know there are many people who disagree with my thinking but just visit any shelter...in any town or city...be it in the US or Canada and see the thousands of unwanted and/or abused animals sitting there waiting to be euthanized....I could not work in a shelter or rescue org....but I do contribute money to a no kill shelter in my area....I have great respect for those that do work there or do volunteering...they are angels ....The local SPCA shut the " pound " for lack of money to run it...so the closest SPCA and dog catcher is over one hour away....in an emergency is nye unto impossible to get the dog catcher to make a visit....Thank God for the non kill rescue, they are continually going under for lack of funding but always seem to pull out of it at the last minute when someone contributes a bit more money...wouldn't it be lovely if the local government commended them for their good work and funded them, instead of giving themselves large raises and extended holidays each year

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it seems like that is the facts from experience people but it doesn't change the situation. Good dogs are dying because of government inadequate programs and MONEY. Everything seems to revolve around MONEY. I always thought "rescue groups" were good compassionate folks and we give to several but it seems some are as scum as those who abuse animals. $700.00 for a rescued dog? Is it MONEY? I thought government was supposed to protect the folks who donate to tax free groups from the scam rather than being part of the problem. Isn't anything sacred? How can anyone look into the eyes of an abandoned dog and not help? I realize, some have to be killed because of MONEY but I truly believe, though no first hand experience, that it is being done because of not enough MONEY to be profitable for unscrupulous groups..We try to donate to the little groups because they don't have the coverage the big guys have but how are we to know we're not giving to the money powered scams?... IMO.. The mental capacity of our adopted stray Pit borders on human understanding... Seriously.. I can't imagine wasting his life in a furnace... Maybe I've over emphasized money but that's the way I see it as per the above post..... IMO..... Sorry..

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before bashing the Humane Society of Fresno...as always there's the TRUTH and the truth as told by the Press! Here are the facts...

The unemployment rate in Fresno is the highest in the State of California...almost 17%. Twelve percent of the homes in Fresno are vacant and foreclosed. The homeless rate is among the highest in the State.

Many, many people lost their homes and everything else...including their dogs...which are either surrendered to the Shelters or turned loose to fend for themselves in the streets. Death and starvation await.

The real story is that in order for a group or adoption agency to get dogs out of the Fresno SPCA shelter, they have to sign a Contract to prove that they are a non-profit group. This is a California State Law! Not an Animal Shelter Rule! Not the SPCA's Rule!

The State of California's Law.

20 of these groups do not comply with the law, and so Fresno can not legally adopt dogs out to them. THEY ARE THE ONES MAKING THIS STINK! They are losing the money they make selling the dogs..or as they call it..."Adopting them out"! For a fee.

"Animal protection portions of the state's Civil Code and Food & Agriculture Code -- commonly called the Hayden Act -- require animal shelters such as the CCSPCA to release stray dogs and cats to nonprofit animal rescue groups or adoption agencies to help them find new homes. The law also allows shelters to require agreements with animal rescues. But for the past week, the CCSPCA has barred rescues that won't sign its new agreement."

This Law prevents puppy mills and other irresponsible back yard breeders from buying or "adopting" dogs and perpetuating the over breeding conditions that face the Fresno Animal Shelter. 50% of the "rescue organizations" are not compliant with the law, and refuse to allow inspections of the facilities where the adopted dogs are kenneled.

Some of the so called "Rescue Groups" sell the dogs to people who are unable to care for the dog properly...so the dogs end up on the streets all over again to start the homeless cycle again! And the non-compliant "rescue groups" make money on every dog they sell!

The Press doesn't tell you that..do they! It's easy for these "Rescue Organizations" to bash the ASPCA when they can't turn a profit on the dogs they "Adopt"/"Rescue" and sell at a tidy profit!

There have been newspaper and Television News reports of people getting dogs from the shelter for their "Rescue Organization" and adopting them out for $700.00 and up...making thousands of tax free dollars a year.

Think about this....over the past two years, the Central California SPCA took in more than 99,000 dogs and cats: 6,000 were released to legally compliant pet rescue groups to find adoption homes; 3,200 lost pets were reunited with their owners; 10,000 were adopted; and 17,000 were either dead when they arrived at the shelter or their owners requested that they be euthanized.

I'd say Fresno is coping with an extremely difficult situation as best they can!

My wife has managed one of the largest Animal Shelters in the USA for 15 years, and had been in Animal Control for 30 years. They handle 17 cities...and work every bit as hard as they can for the good of our Animal Friends, in what may be the most thankless job there is. Give Fresno a break, adopt a "previousily used dog or cat"... and support your local Animal Shelter or Humane Association.

Amen...I'm done preaching!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can always count on the media to create as much controversy as they can by telling only the parts of the story that serve their purpose. And that purpose is to generate "news" that people will listen to and talk about.

ChiMom

Somerset, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn't bring myself to watch the video. I volunteer at our local shelter, which does have problems with overcrowding at times and adoptable animals are euthanized. Our group of volunteers works so very hard to prevent that from happening, but I fully understand the pain of the OP. I also agree with fordsuperdooty's comments and appreciate his input. Getting people to stop unnecessary breeding of their pets is my dream goal. I saw a T-shirt on a volunteer once that said: The ten best reasons for spaying or neutering your pet have just been killed at a shelter.

Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua) and Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

JDelauter

Leesburg, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the very least they are being euthanized humanely

Retired SMCM(MDV) USN 30 years
3 'Nam Tours
As of 11/04 Full-Timing with:
2003 Gulfstream Friendship, Quad slide
1 lovely wife
and 1 sassy Bichon
JDelauter@aol.com

Jim & Betty

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

find new homes. The law also allows shelters to require agreements with animal rescues. But for the past week, the CCSPCA has barred rescues that won't sign its new agreement."

Why a new agreement? What was wrong with the old??

JimR

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

You can always count on the media to create as much controversy as they can by telling only the parts of the story that serve their purpose. And that purpose is to generate "news" that people will listen to and talk about.

Hah, you are so right. We are plagued by the AZ Repulsive "newspaper" here in the Mesa area. They print pages on boring pages against any Republican they can think of even though he is the darling of the State. They do have a snall article once a week about pet adoption but nothing about the abuse of dogs used in commercial dog fights as caught in the Tuscon area. A one time print and that's it. Did the felons run free, probably. AZ. still has wild West retarded judges. Cattlemen and and animal money making groups are untouchable. After many years of the law against cock fighting, the scum still wasn't deterred enough to be busted for cock fighting in the Tuscon area. The fines for commercial cock fighting and spitting on the sidewalk are about the same. The fines for dog & cock fighting aren't worth the cops to investigate the practice. MONEY. So they don't bother to try to stop it. No matter the moral damage. According to their government bosses, don't hassle the illegal animal fights, we can't fine them enough to pay for your time... It's a damn shame... There seems to he no morals left in police protection. Anayway, in Arizona.. IMO..

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They may have had to add additional requirements to the agreement. There's a lot to learn when dealing with rescue issues. I just signed a contract with a rescue boarding facility, and they'd recently changed their contract because the old one had gotten them burned a few times. Stuff happens.

The basic deal is, if you want pull rights (to be able to take an animal out as a rescue) then you have to have a signed contract with that shelter that delineates your responsibilities. If you don't, then you don't. If there was something "wrong" with the new agreement I'd think they would have said why they wouldn't sign it.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Killing of wanted animals at CCSPCA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS