|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Wireless refrigerator switch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never liked pulling into a gas station, driving up to the pumps and then switching off the fridge. Then, after filling the tank, switching the fridge back on before pulling out. After all, other people are pumping gas at other nearby islands too.

I started trying to run a wire from the fridge to the cab to install a remote switch but soon gave up. Then I saw mexbungalows post Fooling Around With New Wireless Relay and started thinking about a wireless remote switch for the fridge.

Over the winter I collected the parts and built a wireless remote control unit. It defaults to "on", is inoperative when connected to power hookup and switches the fridge off and on from the cab.

Here is the unit. It fits inside the fridge outside compartment.

And here it is installed.

Here is the circuit diagram.

You could probably adapt this for many other remote control functions.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Hartford, WI)

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real nice! And your right, that would have many uses! Thanks for the post!

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Then, after filling the tank, switching the fridge back on before pulling out. After all, other people are pumping gas at other nearby islands too.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but wouldn't you pull away from the pumps BEFORE you switched the fridge back on anyway?? I mean, if you turn off the fridge AFTER you pull up to the pumps. Fill up with gas. Turn the fridge back on and THEN pull away from the pump, isn't that defeating the purpose of turning off the fridge in the first place??

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 01:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...and then there is the issue of this project box being outside in the hot, cold, rain, humidity. It has exposed terminals on top. The refer cover panel is not designed to protect the inside area from water.

It's a good idea, but how long will the non-sealed parts hold up to the environment? If it should cease in the "off" state and you don't have an indicator light on the dash confirming the refer's gas/AC status you risk spoilage of a fridge full of food over a 4-6 hour drive - without knowing it.

Then there's the issue of when a technician has to service the refer. The first thing they're going to do is rip out the black box and not put it back - because their training says that the box doesn't belong there.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mitch, you are right. But how many people stop somewhere before they buy gas and switch off the fridge and then stop somewhere else after they fill the tank? Especially people towing a trailer?

To me that's the reason for this mod; so we don't have to stop somewhere before we buy gas.

* This post was edited 03/24/12 06:03am by tenbear *

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gotsmart, I guess I'll see how long it will last. Maybe I'll make a plastic cover for the box.

As to the food spoilage, I read on this forum about people who never turn their fridge on when on the road and their food apparently doesn't spoil. We stop every couple of hours and we will just have to check the fridge then.

If the fridge should stop working the first thing I would do in my troubleshooting would be to disconnect the "black box" and see if it works without it. By the time I call a service man, the box wouldn't be there anymore, but not because I was trying to hide anything, its long out of warranty anyway.

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without opening the fridge door it will stay cold for several hours and would take even longer for food to spoil.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

Without opening the fridge door it will stay cold for several hours and would take even longer for food to spoil.

Thanks for the lead on the remote control as I am sure I can think of several other uses for it around the RV and truck, I use a similar 120VAC unit to turn the dust collector on/off in my workshop.

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if one was worried about the exposed screws corroding seems like battery terminal spray would protect it.... looks like a good idea to me too

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Pretty sure that you can find a way to make a protective cover for your Remote Box and to make it waterproof.

Not a bad idea for some RV's with TT's & 5ers. One problem most Motorhome Owners don't have. Way to easy to just turn the Fridge off at the frige before you stop, or on the way out to refuel.

On our Motorhome, our Fridge is on the Passenger side of the Motorhome and the Filler Tube is on the Drivers side, so we don't really need to shut off the Fridge, unless we are maybe on an inside pump, and evrn then its a long ways to the next island pumps.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

* This post was edited 03/25/12 08:54am by ryanallie1 *

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Wireless refrigerator switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS