|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> RV parks on lake Michigan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
golfknut

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not aware of any RV parks right "on" the lake. Some of the state park campgrounds mentioned earlier are right adjacent to the beach but of those mentioned only Holland State Park (beach campground) has full hookups, and that is only on about 30 to 35 of their sites.

Sunnybrook RV Resort near South Haven is within a few miles of the shoreline.

Duck Creek RV Resort is near Muskegon and is 8 to 9 miles from Lake Michigan.

Both resorts are very nice.

2005 Jayco Granite Ridge 3100SS

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the info.May be I will see you in June.

2011 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,Breaksmart controller(not install I use Ford controler ),Equa-Flex.6 points LIPPERD Level-up.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

golfknut,

For your information, there are several RV parks right on the beaches of Lake Michigan with nothing between the RV site and the water but a sand beach or a dune with a short path between to the water's edge. Many have been mentioned already. We live and have lived for 70 years very near Grand Haven and the state park and everyday see the state park with 168 RV sites and the throng of RV's camped there all during spring, summer, and fall. Holland, Hoffmaster, Muskegon, Mears, Ludington, etc state parks likewise. More going farther north. The OP said nothing about having full hookups at the site as he probably knows that RV's come standard with freshwater tanks, graywater tanks, and blackwater tanks and most will have more capacity than needed for a week or two of camping. That's what the dump stations are for! Besides, the mentioned state parks CG's have very new clean modern bathhouses which drastically extends the duration for needing tank dumping or water refill.

BTW, the beach at Grand Haven has been rated in the top 5 beaches in the entire USA for years on end by the travel mags, rating agencies, and the yearly Good Morning America poll of Americans. A month ago it was rated as one of the only 4 U.S. beaches selected as best in the world by Travel & Leisure Magazine and you can camp right on it in your RV for about a whopping $30 a day site fee. If you can find beachfront property for sale, it would only set you back $10,000-$30,000 per waterfront foot of a bare beachsand land lot and it's your to enjoy in your RV for so little cost and with NO property taxes either or strings attached when you must leave.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travelnutz,

We've been to the beach at Grand Haven and I agree that it's nice. The state park seemed awful tight though and more or less a parking lot next to the beach. Is that your take on it or do I need to revisit GH?

We've camped at Warren Dunes, Van Buren, Holland, Hofmaster, North Muskegon, Mears, and Orchard Beach in Manistee and, in addition, DH Day up in Glen Arbor. They all have their pluses and minuses. The main thing is that they are very near the beach in most cases. You certainly can't beat the price considering resort costs, RV or non-RV. We enjoy our beach time every year.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

travelnutz

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parrothead Mike,

You are right that the sites are somewhat tight (20' or 24' wide I think and it's because you must have your RV and all wheels of any vehicle on the pavement or you'd be beyond stuck. You park across the front of your RV usually. At one time there were nearly 300 RV sites in the park but they approximately doubled the size of those past sites and cut the total to 168. Why? Because RV's today average more than double the size they were back in the days past. There's no more land to be had for larger sites so they had to cut the total number of sites to enlarge them. It's the most popular state park and CG of the over 100 in the state and always full so must be that the tight sites are not bothering the campers or they wouldn't be always full. Most RV people there don't sit in or around their RV's as they are on the beach or in the water or on the pier or the boardwalk or downtown or biking or at one of the many entertainment venues etc. Might be salmon fishing or boating or dining in one of the area's 87 eating places or even might be shopping. Nights and evenings are usually spent at or closer to their RV's for unbelievable nightly sunsets and/or meeting fellow RV'ers or a walk down to the Worlds Largest Musical Fountain lke thousands do everynight. So mouch to do, so little time!

If you've seen the main new state of the art fancy bathhouse they built at the state park CG, you'd know what I'm talking about. All showers are private door entry single rooms all around 3 sides of the building. I think there's 16 of them with 6 or 8 being family shower rooms with their own toilets and additional shower heads so mom or dad can shower all the kids at the same time. What a time saver! The state park is a mecca of programs and sports venues plus the many competitions/national/pro and college competitions of volleyball, beach polevaulting, windsurfing, surfboarding, kite festival, sailboat races, and several other games etc to watch or if good enough to be part of. Over 2 million visitors every year go there but the CG is tucked away from the masses on the approx mile long main beach area and has a much quieter beach area to enjoy.

travelnutz

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parrothead Mike,

After your site size post question, I was wondering so:

Wife and I stopped at Grand Haven State Park CG this afternoon and measured many of the RV site widths. 24'-26' was what we found. As wide or wider than the average private CG site which are listed in the thick Woodalls or Trailer Life CG books. I have to admit that they're wider than I thought they were. We see many 40' long motorhomes and/or long TT's/5th wheels staying there each year and they park their toad/TV across the front of their RV's. Sites are not huge but adequate for using. Funny how you see them every day and have stayed in them but never actually measured a site before.

rver1997

Here and There

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

golfknut wrote:

I'm not aware of any RV parks right "on" the lake. Some of the state park campgrounds mentioned earlier are right adjacent to the beach but of those mentioned only Holland State Park (beach campground) has full hookups, and that is only on about 30 to 35 of their sites.

Sunnybrook RV Resort near South Haven is within a few miles of the shoreline.

Duck Creek RV Resort is near Muskegon and is 8 to 9 miles from Lake Michigan.

Both resorts are very nice.

I agree. Both parks are very nice with huge sites. The sites have to be at least 50 to 60 feet wide with lots of depth. The beach is great but I prefer to day trip to it and have a huge site to enjoy the rest of the time. I hate camping on a postage stamp. Only because I always get a site next to the people that love to spread out right onto my site...ha ha. Some private parks actually have really nice sites.

Enjoy your trip to MI where ever you stay!!

* This post was edited 04/02/12 11:50am by an administrator/moderator *

golfknut

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:

Wife and I stopped at Grand Haven State Park CG this afternoon and measured many of the RV site widths. 24'-26' was what we found. As wide or wider than the average private CG site

Did you measure perpendicular to the lines?
We have camped there several times and sure haven't experienced sites of that size. The end of our awning was less than 1.5' from the trailer on the adjacent campsite and we were tight against the other side.

They have a beautiful beach, a fantastic restroom/shower building and a great boardwalk to town but we can't handle the size of the campsites we have had there. When the neighbors are sitting out under their awning, they are literally a foot from our rig...and their conversations sound like they are taking place inside our motorhome. Much too close for us.

It's a very busy place and difficult to get a reservation at so there is no incentive to increase the size of the campsites. Too bad they don't have any more available land. Transforming the beach parking lot into additional campsites would probably be frowned upon.

We much prefer the beach campsites at Holland State Park.

travelnutz

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

golfknut,

Yes perpendicular to the site lines. I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer and know how to measure things. We measured 8 sites in different areas with a 50' tape and all were within 2 feet of the same width. Go measure for yourself. CG is not open for camping for another approx 2 weeks but you can park in the fishermans lot which is about 100 feet from the nothernmost campsites.

travelnutz

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rver1997,

Might I also remind you that the thread OP asked this question:

"Anybody know a very nice park on the lake 100-150 mile from the border Indiana ,Michigan?"

Says: "on the Lake"

Where does he ask about any CGs miles inland from Lake Michigan???

* This post was edited 04/02/12 11:43am by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> RV parks on lake Michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS