RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel from St. Charles, Mo.to Port Orchard, Wa.in June

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Travel from St. Charles, Mo.to Port Orchard, Wa.in June

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sisodals

Virginia Beach, VA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am planning a trip from Missouri to Washington State in June, I am concerned about the mountains and ability to maintian travel speed over them towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We drive a 2006 Fleetwood Bounder 39 foot and tow the Cherokee. The coach has a cat C-7 300 hp engine. Will I be able to maintain speed on I-90.

Sisodals

Helen & Ray Siso
sisodals@bellatlantic.net

Bounder 38N
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Brake Buddy

Rally's attended: 16 (Four Bounder, 5 FMCA and 7 Samborees)

windmist

Port Orchard, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think you would be real unlucky if you encountered any snowy or icy roadways in June going over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in June. It is a very well maintained freeway as it is the major route going west or east.

I talked to my daughter yesterday while she was on a chair lift at one of the major ski resorts and she said the snow conditions have been the best in years but by June, snow will be rare.

After you get over the pass, take Hwy 18 to I-5 and you will bypass the Seattle traffic.

Ron

Ron Nelson

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several long grades along I-90.
Lookout Pass at the MT, ID border
Vantage Hill climbing out of the Columbia River at Vantage, WA
Snoqualmie Pass eastboud is easy with a short little climb to the summit.

If by "maintaining speed" you mean 60 = mph UP these grades in you rig. My guess is you might slow to 50-55 or so. Watch for the semis doing 15! I would not worry about your speed and all areas have extra lanes for slower moving rigs.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by "maintain speed". Will you be able to travel at 65 mph up all grades on I-90? Certainly not. Very few RVs can, despite claims to the contrary. Just shooting from the hip on your estimated weight and hp you will slow down significantly on the major grades but will likely pass heavily loaded semi trucks. You would also want to mind your speed coming down especially if your rig does not have an exhaust brake.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

OTTO

Western Washington/Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have gone over the continental divide through Montana with my Cummins 300hp with a GVWR at 30K many times. No problemo. Just don't try to keep pace with the cars or empty tractor trailers.

Be sure to use your jake or pac brake on all steep downgrades.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's ask some additional questions: How are you on driving along a cliff? I mean a serious cliff.Coming down the Idaho side of I-90, you are on the edge of a truly serious cliff. You should be in the outside lane, past that is the shoulder, then a guard rail, then a cliff goes down probably a thousand feet (at it's highest)

Coming down into the Puget Sound area puts you on the inside of a cliff, but it is less serious.

As for speed, nothing but cars can maintain speed on Snoqualmie Pass, Rye Grass summit, the grade around Lake Coeur d'Alene, Fourth of July Pass, Lookout Pass, Elk Park pass and Bozeman Pass. No, I'm not kidding those are all the serious grades ahead of you.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bigdog

silverdale wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't have a bit of trouble on that route.Yes,you'll slow down on most of the climbs,but the hwy is a great road and don't let folks tell you that it's a dangerous road 'cuz they're just funnin' you. I have driven all of those passes in several different rigs ranging from my '84 Trans-am to the 3/4 suburban and 27' TT to the PSD Excursion and 35'TT and now the 40' MH with toad and never thought anything about it.Just gear down on the uphills and gear down on the downhills.You'll love the trip,but just plan it so that you'll have plenty of time to stop and smell the roses 'cuz there's lot's of them.
By the way,there's a whole bunch of us in the Bremerton,Pt.Orchard,Silverdale on this forum.

GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Lincoln4

Buckley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry about maintaining your speed at 60, there are plenty of lanes in those areas to take your time.

You could skip Snoqualmie Pass, and shoot on down to Yakima and take Chinook Pass (SR 12 to SR 410). Just confirm it's open for the summer, before you head that way. As long as it's open, the road should be fine. These photos are from our trip eastbound late last June...

Tom, Janae, the five kids, assorted significant others, and other hangers-on!
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Saturn Toad

My blog

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road conditions should and probably be no issue in June. I driven over 100K miles in the state and never had a problem in June. Personally I would avoid I90 for only 1 reason and that being construction. I went over that area last July and about shook the MH to its base. They won't be done with construction for another year or so. I would take I84 up the Columbia Gorge it is very beautiful and you can either come accross out of Boise through the Blue Mts or go through Spokane and cut down to Pasco and then onto I84.

JMHO
Arnold

Fleet Man

Western WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered a different route? I-80, I-84 to Portland and up I-5. That way you do not have the I-90 mountains to contend with.

2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Travel from St. Charles, Mo.to Port Orchard, Wa.in June
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts