RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: No trailer brakes

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > No trailer brakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
montanacamping

Montana

Full Member

Joined: 01/19/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to get my camper to start doing some work on it and my controler told me no conection. I know my controler and wiring is fine because it works on other trailers just fine. My question is does TT electric brakes use the ground for my battery? I do not have the battery in it because I take it out for the winter and did not take it back with me to get the trailer.


2009 Jayflight G2
2005 Z71 Burb
2002 GMC 8.1 crewcab


kpmacaz

Mesa,AZ,USA

Full Member

Joined: 09/25/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What make and model brake controller do you have? Also, you know that your breakaway brake safety switch will not work without a house battery!


2007 Jayco 25RKS and 2006 GMC Yukon


ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2005

View Profile



Posted: 03/25/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No battery ='d No brakes for me when my batteries got shorted out while on the road out due to factory cable damage screw up.


2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

kpmacaz

Mesa,AZ,USA

Full Member

Joined: 09/25/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Trailer and the tow vehicle should share ground which in this 12 volt case the negative side of tow vehicle battery and trailer house battery. These are not series type connections that need the trailer battery to be in to have the negative battery cable of your trailer battery the same (node) of your tow vehicle. Many variables here but make sure your trailer battery cables cannot short out and if maybe that happened there should be a fuse in the trailer brake wire that may have opened causing this problem. If you have a digital VOM volt ohm meter I can give you some trouble shooting to do to see if that open circuit (blown fuse) could be the issue.

montanacamping

Montana

Full Member

Joined: 01/19/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kpmacaz wrote:

What make and model brake controller do you have? Also, you know that your breakaway brake safety switch will not work without a house battery!



I have a primus IQ and know that it looks for ground thru my brakes to know if there is a conection that is why I was woundering if my brakes were using the battery ground.

montanacamping

Montana

Full Member

Joined: 01/19/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArcticDodge wrote:

No battery ='d No brakes for me when my batteries got shorted out while on the road out due to factory cable damage screw up.


I am hoping that it is because I dont have a battery in the camper. I took it out before I took it to storage and did not notice if I have brakes. It is only a couple miles and max 35mph road speeds so thats why I did not notice, I guess I need to pay more attention to that.

kpmacaz

Mesa,AZ,USA

Full Member

Joined: 09/25/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What code does your brake controller display? such as: 0.9 flashing 2 times a second or a steady display indicates a bad ground to your tow vehicle battery. Your tow vehicle produces the voltage and current to your electromagnets in you trailer brakes but your electromagnets in your trailer brakes closes that current path via ground or negative of your trailer back to your tow vehicle negative(ground).

powderman426

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have a batteries in the trailer and the trailer breaks away from the vehicle, just where do you think it's going to get power to turn on the brakes.


Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work


montanacamping

Montana

Full Member

Joined: 01/19/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kpmacaz wrote:

The Trailer and the tow vehicle should share ground which in this 12 volt case the negative side of tow vehicle battery and trailer house battery. These are not series type connections that need the trailer battery to be in to have the negative battery cable of your trailer battery the same (node) of your tow vehicle. Many variables here but make sure your trailer battery cables cannot short out and if maybe that happened there should be a fuse in the trailer brake wire that may have opened causing this problem. If you have a digital VOM volt ohm meter I can give you some trouble shooting to do to see if that open circuit (blown fuse) could be the issue.


I tape my + cable off when I take the battery out so I dont blow the fuse in my truck so I am sure I did not short the wires out. I know that the brake circuit is open because the controler is not seeing the ground thru the coil on the brakes, I just did not know if it complets the circuit thru the battery ground. I am going to put the battery in it next weekend and see if my problem goes away if not I will bring my fluke home from work and find out what is wrong with it.

montanacamping

Montana

Full Member

Joined: 01/19/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kpmacaz wrote:

What code does your brake controller display? such as: 0.9 flashing 2 times a second or a steady display indicates a bad ground to your tow vehicle battery. Your tow vehicle produces the voltage and current to your electromagnets in you trailer brakes but your electromagnets in your trailer brakes closes that current path via ground or negative of your trailer back to your tow vehicle negative(ground).


My controler shows n.c. which means no conection. I dont think it is any thing on the truck because I pulled my dads skidsteer back to his place that night and it worked fine.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > No trailer brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS