|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tire Pressure Monitors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How important are they to have? Are they necessary or a helpful tool?

We're in Arizona

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on who you talk to. IMHO, they are near the top of the list of important things to have. Most systems, I have TST 507, give you an up to the minute reading of tire pressure and temperature. They cycle ever 5 seconds to each tire. The Federal Government feels they're important enough to require them as mandatory equipment beginning with the 2013 models. You could check your tire pressure each time you stop like we used to do but having that info immediately is pretty important. Before a blow out, oftentimes a tire will heat up rapidly, the TPMS hopefully would sound a warning to allow you to stop before that occurred. They may seem expensive but what price do you put on safety...???....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 10 sensor TST 510 system has alerted me to both tire and brake problems on my toad that could have been very expensive had they gone unnoticed. In four years of service, I have not had any issues with any part of the system.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While not necessary they are convenient. Instead of crawling around my rig before each trio checking my tire pressures, I push a button and read the information for each tire. It has alerted me to a problem on two occasions, possibly preventing damage to my rig.

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

kpmacaz

Mesa,AZ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the external valve stem versions to start with and they caused more trouble then they were worth. I have switched to the internal versions and a range extender that I plug into the front of the trailer. My tow vehicle has TPM covering its tires and the extra one covering all trailer tires and both spare tires. I did have a blow out in NM on the trailer and I did not know it at first and fellow travelers on the interstate had to let me know. That one experience made me get them and it helps my sense of safety.

2007 Jayco 25RKS and 2006 GMC Yukon

bugs53

Jacksonville, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never used them. I do check my tires each morning of a trip and pay close attention to tire pressure. We travel with several coaches who have them and there always seems to some kind of problem with them.

Bugs

bugs53
08 Tiffen Allegro, Wrangler Shahara.2dr std, Us Gear Breaking
Mango 3speed cruisers
Cookie. Springer Spaniel

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They can be very easily replaced with a good gauge and a IR reader. Then you can stop every 5 miles and check the temps and pressure. You get the same thing as a TPMS

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Say you're going down the highway at the speed limit enjoying the scenery and lovin' your free lifestyle. You checked the tire pressure of all 10 of your tires before starting out and feel very confident that they are all in great shape.

Unfortunately, and unknown to you, you're inner right dual just picked up a large nail (or something) that punctured the tire and is allowing it to deflate very gradually and will eventually lose all of its air and will, in all probably, break its bead on the rim and then will start to flop around. It will then very quickly, and literally, come apart wrapping around whatever is within its reach. Brake lines, hydraulic hoses, electrical cables, fiberglass, wheel well covers, ect will not be any match for the destructive power of that tire.

You can well imagine what kind of damage that tire could cause and how big a bite out of your wallet it will generate.

Now don't forget that the partner to that deflating dual is now supporting all that extra weight. That, unfortunately, can damage that tire and could possibly fail at a later date.

Now if the tire exploded immediately after being punctured, chances are you may not hear or feel it (especially if it is one of the tires on your toad). You can possibly continue to travel along until somebody pulls up next to you waving frantically and honking their horn trying to get your attention. That distance you travel until someone gets you to understand what's going on will also provide sufficient amount of time for that exploded tire to do the damage mentioned above.

Of course, if you had a TPMS, it would have alerted you to the pressure loss almost immediately allowing you you safely pull over and determine the problem....saving you untold amounts of $$.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought mine more for the toad than the MH as no way to know what's going on back there even though I used a IR temp gun at every stop.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Ozarkan

Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The concept sounds good. I spent over $400 on a nVision system from Hopkins Mfg. It never worked right. The company sent me two complete replacement systems and each worked worse than the previous ones. I junked the lot and am back to checking my air pressure daily.

Warren & Judy
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP 39'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tire Pressure Monitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: