|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tire Pressure Monitors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOLY COW! just checked prices on these. Never mind. I'll stick with a $5.00 pressure gauge and a $150 compressor and RSA.

* This post was edited 03/26/12 07:00am by Effy *

2013 ACE 29.2

Matt TST

Cumming, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're basically paying $50 a tire to keep your peace of mind while out on the roads. Regardless on which system you buy, it really is a great tool to have while traveling.

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt TST wrote:

You're basically paying $50 a tire to keep your peace of mind while out on the roads. Regardless on which system you buy, it really is a great tool to have while traveling.

I agree to a point. But to what end? They won't tell you of a blowout any sooner than you would feel it. Maybe on bigger DP's you might not feel it? Seems to me they would indicate a slow leak. Anything else and you will know as quickly as the sensors will. Am I missing something? Not trying to be crass. Obviously they are mandated on passenger vehicles for a reason, just wondering of what heads up indicator would be valuable outside of a slow leak that you won't know at the same time anyway?

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

Matt TST wrote:

I agree to a point. But to what end? They won't tell you of a blowout any sooner than you would feel it. Maybe on bigger DP's you might not feel it? Seems to me they would indicate a slow leak. Anything else and you will know as quickly as the sensors will. Am I missing something? Not trying to be crass. Obviously they are mandated on passenger vehicles for a reason, just wondering of what heads up indicator would be valuable outside of a slow leak that you won't know at the same time anyway?

Most blow outs occur when a tire is under inflated, either from incorrect inflation or air loss due to leakage. There have been numerous reports in the RV forums of folks blowing tires on trailers, toads, and even Class A and C duals without realizing it until a passerby pointed it out. If a blown dual tire starts coming apart, as they often do, then yes, you're likely to hear it tearing up the underside of your coach, but they don't all explode with a big bang. On the other hand, if you had been alerted to falling pressure before it blew, you may have been able to take action to prevent it. Even if you're not alerted until the tire actually blows, such as from hitting road debris, knowing almost instantly that it occurred can still allow you to minimize the damage to your RV.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For essentially 55 bucks a tire I consider it cheap insurance against expensive vacation ending damage. I check my air pressure prior to moving the rv and when ever I arrive at my destination after the tires have cooled. I also carry a compressor to add air if needed. This will tell me if I have a tire issue while driving.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Its a matter of choice. One that we would not be wihtout.

We are on our second Tire Monitoring System. Our first one was a Duran Tire Moitoring System. Now we have the TST 507 Tire Monitoring System.

As we all know, or have heard of, just how mcuh damage ($$$)a Blow-Out can cause to any RV. Is it really worth the cost, not to have one.

The Newer Tire Monitors do both, Tire PSI and Tire Temps.

The way we look at it, how much do we have invested in our Motorhome and Toad and Towing Equipemnt. Makes the Cost of a Tire Monitoring System preety cheap, for what it can do and might save you later on.

We have been RV'ers for a little over 45+ year now, and we have never had a "Flat Tire" or a "Blow-Out" or have ever "Broken Down".

With that kind of luck, you might wonder why we ever bothered to buy a Tire Monitoring Ststeem in the first place. Mostly we want to keep this record, and also keep being Danage Free.

You just never know when your tire might hit something, or something gets stuck in to a tire while traveling. We concider this some pretty cheap insurance to help provent any problems or damage.

For us, its worth every penny, not to mention the "Peace of Mind" it give you.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Matt TST

Cumming, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy,

There are 2 different types of TPMS out there. Indirect (which come pre-built into the vehicle) and direct (which can either screw on the valve stems or be installed inside the tire). Throughout my experiences, I've determined that a direct TPMS is the way to go. They will let you know immediately when a tire has low pressure, high pressure, high temperature, fast leakage and a low battery. Most systems, just like ours at TST, just screw on the valve stem. So technically, you can install it at home without the hassle of going to a tire shop.

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I figure a TPMS is awful cheap insurance compared to the damage a tire can do if there is a problem. Have seen a few with wrecked fenders and don't know what else underneath.

Trap

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But the cost goes beyond the unit correct? Most of the ones I have looked at (decent ones anyway) appear to require being installed inside the tire. Not sure what that would cost but I imagine pretty expensive - if not as much as the unit itself - to have the tires removed, install the units on 6 tires, and re-install the tires. So the quoted cost of $55.00/tire I would think we be much more than that. Granted, I am hearing what others are saying about mitigating damage. It's always about spending money to mitigate risk. Are there any cheaper - decent- install at home systems? I guess strictly valve mounted? The ones I looked at seemed to have poor reviews.

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm leaning towards the tire tracker system. About $480 with 10 sensors, replaceable batteries and includes a signal booster. Reads pressure and temp. Anyone have comments on this system. (Phone won't let me leave out the k in tracker).

We're in Arizona

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tire Pressure Monitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS