|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> First trip ever

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

...our brand new TT. We have a Keystone RV Summerland 2670BHGS...We are taking it to a close by statepark that we have camped at before with my parent's pop-up. Is there any advice you can give to new TT owners?...
Drive way camping is the best first trip. Everything is close at hand for that trip.

However, if your neighborhood does not allow such things what you are planning is the next best thing. Make a list of everything that goes wrong so you will avoid it next time.

The other advice I will give you, is don't set up at night on your first few trips. If you are new to backing in, make sure the person directing you knows to shout curbside or driver side, instead of left and right. They also should know to watch the top of trailer for hazards as well as where you are rolling (want to ask me how I know this?).

I keep a second set of keys in the glove box of the TV. You will never know when you will lose a set.

Get a cheap battery powered drill for the stabilizers. It really makes it easy to set up.

I usually travel with the hot water tank filled and at least a little water in the fresh water tank. When you are traveling down the highway you never know when you may want to wash your hands, or use the bathroom. It is also great when you are traveling with pets so you can fill their bowl.

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 16 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

McDaddy

Saugus, Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just take your time while you get used to towing and setting up the new camper. Maje sure that your mirrors are adjusted so that you can see clearly. As others have said, bring pen and paper to keep track of needed items. Test all systems to ensure they are working properly. I would check for leaks in plubing under cabinets and under the camper, just in case. Where this is a brand new unit, you may have to "dewinterize" it. Does it have a hot water heater bypass valve? You may need to switch it back to its non-bypass position. You might want to bring a small level to help level the camper if it doesnt have levelers mounted on it. Best of luck and have fun and enjoy.

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a campsite thats easy to back into... unless you have backed a trailer before. Bring tools.

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget water pressure regulator and a filter. I recently upgraded from a PUP in January. I have been trying to get all the stuff that I might need together, never thought I would need all of it. I had a spare fresh water hose from my PUP days and a few other things. Get pencil and paper...and jot down things you might need. I have even finished putting together a spare fuse box. Yes, I have been driveway camping for awhile...call it the Happy Hollow Campground. We did go out last weekend for four days and nights...

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DON'T GO!

Once you get the bug, there is no cure.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

jf504mp

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think just for the sake of it, I would pick a pull thru sight if there are any. That would be one thing out of the way. You will have enough to do setting up and getting organized. Next time you go, pick a back in sight, you will have already done the rest.

McDaddy

Saugus, Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prior to heading to the state park, you might want to practise backing it into a site by going to a local empty parking lot and setting up some cones just to get the hang of backing in the larger trailer.

beaglescout

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early on, we began writing up a master list of all of the items we pack for each trip. Don't fret about trying to list every item the first time, as it will take a few trips to make a complete list. When we get ready to go, we just print the list off from a computer file, check the items off, and we're pretty much assured of having everything along we want, now that we've fine-tuned the list over time. As we find additional items to add, we jot them down and update the list when we get home. For us, it takes stress out of getting packed and wondering what we might be forgetting. Relax, and have a great time!

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too, just purchased a new TT and plan on going out in a few weeks for the "shakedown" trip. Good friends of ours and lifelong camping compadres, also bought new at the show the same day we did and will be joining us. We plan on camping at a local State Park about 30 minutes away (Yankee Springs-Gun Lake)

I set it up in the driveway. Go through all the systems. just familiarize yourself with the unit. Like what was posted before, you might have to dewinterize. After that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to sterilize the water system. Did your unit come with a sewer hose? Mine did not and that was one of the first things I purchased at the dealer when I went through my walk through. Practice setting up the awning. There is an order in which to do that. I have set my awning out twice and both times I went to put it back in I forgot a step.

It also might not be a bad idea to practice hooking up and unhooking to the trailer. Just like with my awning, the hitching/unhitching process with a TT compared to the PUP I had is a whole different animal.

And the one piece of advice I can give you is something that I learned on my very first camping trip ever when I bought my first PUP. Bring a power cord!!!! The one supplied with your trailer will most likely not be long enough.

Have fun and happy camping!!!

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just PLAN on having fun and be ready to laugh when things go wrong.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> First trip ever
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS