|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Complete Newbies

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

someth9ng not mentioned is money. What are you thinkiing of in terms of dollars. If you are looking at new or used will make a big difference. This is something that some people dream of and then state they have $3000. to put into a MH. $3000 won't even buy a set of tires for a larger MH. Post a little more info on your thoughts. We will be in Ottawa in July again. I will wave as I go through.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have found the right place, I wish this site had been hear when we got our first RV. Come hear anytime and read all you want and you will learn a lot. You can also use the search and find many answers, or do like most and ask away. You will get help, Most good but a few not so good so do some research and you decide what will work for you. Take a look at the rules so you don't get you post removed and you will be fine. Best of luck to you.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of books and DVD's and such on RVing, I can't say how good they are.. Most are not as good as advertieed, There are two books I do recommend, (Pick one, either will do) The RV Book and the RV Owner's Handbook, they are very nearly equal in what's in 'em so either one will do One is a Woodalls's publication you can find at camping World. I think that is the one I have.

This is a good "Primer" and it is also very useful as a reference manual Some of the chapters in it are even better than the factory manual for some of the stuff it covers.

Next: If you get a new rig, or if the prior owner gives you the manuals READ THEM, if you get a used rig sans-manuals, Ask the manufacturer if they can provide you a copy.

Finally, RVers are usually friendly (There are exceptions) when you start, do not be afraid to ask questions of your neighbors. If you get a stinker.. Ask the other neighbors.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

alliemac9

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would read everything on this forum. Learn from other people's experiences, questions/answers, and mistakes. Then rent one and put what you read into practice for a vacation. Then come back and ask all your questions, read some more, and then start searching for your own RV if the concept still fits for you and your family.

I read everything I could get my hands on, and we feel we picked our last RV first and were very confident in our choice. Others still shake their heads and smile, because we intentionally bought something small and the usual rule of thumb is that people quickly find they want something bigger, and other people expect us to get the "bigger" bug sooner than later. But every show we go to (for fun) reinforces how right our choice was. So, I recommend lots of research BEFORE pulling the trigger. And I think renting at least once is part of that.

2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 people + 2 dogs

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A ton of RV's on Craiglist that are slightly used, because people decide to take up camping and go all in, only to discover that its not for them.

I would follow the advice on here. rent one and go on a week long trip or even a few weekends this Summer to be sure its what you want.

We have some good friends that camp a lot and we would go visit them for a day and had a blast. They would always try and talk us into getting a camper and joining them. So we did

We started out in 1993 with a 1974 Starcraft PUP that we only paid $500.00 for. We didn't want to make a big investment in case this whole camping thing wasn't our cup of tea. We used that camper for 2 years and sold for $700.00.

Bought a brand new Rockwood PUP at the RV Show back in 1995. Here its 2012 and we FINALLY stepped up to a TT.

So to make a long story short ( i know, a little late for that) is to start small.

"never dive into unknown waters head first"

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

DiscCanada

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to thank everyone for their replies and input so far. You have all been most helpful. Although we've already done research, the past few days have been neverending with even more. Seems like when we finally both agree on what we like, we find another feature to discuss.

But I think we're almost there... the next challenge will be to find the perfect MH based on all the criterias we've established. Almost feels like an impossible task!

I promise to harras and annoy the forum as much as I can with all of our questions

Chantal & Dean
- anxiously awaiting our RV adventures

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in the same spot as you except that we had friends that had a motor home. We took one weekend trip with them and decided we would like to try it. That was five years ago.

We bought a used 35 foot motor home. The cost was less plus we did not have the issues of all the bugs many new ones have. The previous owner had them taken care of.

We used it for weekend trips at first and then a couple of week long vacations since we were both still working.

Last September we both retired, sold our house to one of our children and went full time. We had been told and found it to be true that if you are not wealthy don't plan on traveling and seeing all the sites constantly. It is expensive.

We love being full timers and have found that staying in one place for a couple of months or even longer at a time gives us the opportunity to really see the area in our car. We can go and see things in the car that we would never be able to see in the motor home.

My biggest suggestion would be to start with a GOOD used unit until you see if you really like it. That will allow you to determine what you like an don't like before buying the RV or your dreams. You may find you love it or you may find that you or your wife hate it.

Good luck and perhaps we will see you down the road.

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a further suggestion.

This is just my thoughts. I would not rent a MH to try it out if it is a class C and you are interested in a class A. I think you would be unhappy with the room and perhaps lose interest. I know if we had tried a class C first, we would never had continued to RV.

Now looking back I can see that one day when we get older perhaps we might downsize to a class C. There are many very nice ones out there. But for us going from a three bedroom 2 1/2 bath home to a 35 foot MH with only one bath was all the loss of space we could deal with at first.

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can head to a rv park and rent one of their trailers for a few days and see what it is all about. Wife and I found our first and only so far 5th wheel trailer and only paid 4000 dollars for it not knowing what would be the usage or if we would ever go any where. Four years later we still have the same trailer but we have put thousands of miles on it and we never looked back. We might upgrade someday but that is not important as we just have too much fun visiting and rving.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Barry514

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Aug we bought our first MH after spending a lot of time reading and asking questions on this forum and a few others. We went to a lot of RV parks and just drove through to see what other people had, set-ups etc. Cost to camp for the week-end.

Like other we did not want to spend a lot of money on something that might not be for us so we found a nice 25' Storm on Craigslist that we wouldn't have to spend a lot of money on. First we thought about where we were going to park it when not in use since we live in a Townhouse and how much money per month. Then we called our insurance to see how much it would cost for insurance. Ok, to park the MH was going to cost us 50.00 per month to store and 38.00 per month for insurance. Routine maintence on roof and other things. Do your planning prior to spending that money. Try to cover all basis.

When you find that MH, trailer or whatever you decide, make sure everything works and test drive. Check tires, even if they look good, check the DOT code to see how old they are. If you have to put on tires soon after you buy that rig, it is not cheap. I know we spent 1400.00 2 month after we bought our coach because the tires looked good but where 8 year old.

Long story short, like I said we bought our first rig in Aug of 2011 and just last month moved up to a 6 year new one and bigger and has slides. IMO, slide make a hugh difference. We have been out a lot and now plan a long trip this next month.

Quote:

If a MH you will likely need a car to tow.
We have found that a lot of people are very helpful when you are camping out and several that we talked too said that they haven't towed a car in years. All they do now after setting up is call Enterprise or some other car rental place and just rent a car. Now with that being said, may not be the way to go if full timing or going to be gone for a long time. I know the week that we will be gone next month, we are renting a car and it's going to cost us 168.00 for the week. A good towbar and other thing, will cost mega bucks. :-)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Complete Newbies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS