|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Brand New Visa - CO detector beeping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CampingBigMa

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2012 Gulfstream Visa and took it out for it's first trip. We drove south and stopped about 4 hrs into the trip and noticed a beeping inside the trailer. After further inspection it was the CO detector which is a combo with LP and located near the floor under the fridge. We opened all the windows and doors and aired it out and the beeping stopped. At the next stop for gas it was beeping again. The only thing running is the fridge on 12 V. Everything else was off and all windows and vents were closed as tight as possible. When we stopped for the night after turning on the bathroom fan and keeping windows open it stopped and didn't come back on again until the trip home. We are newbies and this is our first trailer. Can we be taking in fumes from the car? Is it okay to run the fridge while driving? We did try it with both 12V and propane with the same result. Any ideas or anyone have this issue?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be several things but my first GUESS would be you have a low battery in the RV. Have you had your tow vehicle set up to charge the trailer battery while towing? If you're running a 12 volt fridge (pretty rare in a travel trailer) it will take a LOT of power and without the battery charging from the tow it's not going to last very long. I'd switch the fridge over to LP mode and check the voltage of the battery WHILE the tow vehicle is connected and running. It SHOULD be reading 13.5 or there about if it's charging your battery.

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

CampingBigMa

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I will definitely check the battery. I just assumed that it charged while towing but maybe not. The fridge is a 3 way (12V, Propane and 120) I tried it with propane and still got the beeping. It is odd because beeping only occurs when vehicle is in motion. Even parked with out any power the beeping will stop as soon as the windows and door are left open.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's brand new I would ask the dealer you bought it from. Maybe the unit is defective somehow. It does sound like a low battery beep though from the way you describe it.

I always run my fridge while driving.

toaobigal

Chambly, Quebec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a few owners on the Gulfstream owners web site that had their sensor replaced. I guess you can blame bad sensors... I have a 2012 Visa and the sensor is fine, so far!

2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what did the readout on the CO detector say it was?

I'll bet I know the answer. It doesn't have a readout.

Get rid of that junk and buy something like the Nighthawk. Then you will know if you have a problem with carbon monoxide and how bad it is. JMO

BTW. I am not trying to offend anyone, just maybe save a life. Buy a good detector, because you may only get one chance. I speak from experience.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

RedRocket204

Colorado Front Range - Got MTB trail?

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

powderman426 wrote:

So what did the readout on the CO detector say it was?

I'll bet I know the answer. It doesn't have a readout.

Quite possibly it has different colored LEDs along with the flash or steady LED will be the indicator of what the problem is.

OP, check your owner's manual to determine the status of the LEDs and what is causing the detector to beep.

I had a propane detector start going off when we were camping and it turned out the wiring connector had got some solvent on it and proceeded to corrode over a couple of years. The wire had about 2 stands connecting it so in reality, it was low voltage that cause ours to beep. Not saying you have a bad connection, but the LEDs led me to what the actual problem was.

I love me some land yachting

the_happiestcamper

Mount Pleasant, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 05:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it only happens while you are towing, then maybe the exhaust from your TV is setting it off.

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

jules6

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it's probably your battery but can you spell FEMA? The FEMA trailers were made by the same RV manufactures that make our RV. New RV's are toxic !! Have you ever noticed when going to a RV show and entering all those new RV's how you eyes water and throat burn after awhile? Like the new car smell, the new RV smell is outgasing of all those chemicals. Get your battery checked and let that tailer air out as much as you can.

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it could be a low battery.

Yes it could be false propane alarm.

Yes it could be toxic materials outgassing.

The question is:

DO you want to bet your life on it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Brand New Visa - CO detector beeping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: