RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Club to join or not to join ??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Club

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Club

> Good Sam Club to join or not to join ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GrandmaLee

Minooka, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can someone please give me an unbiased opinion on the pro's and con's of membership in this club? What are some of your experiences? I am thinking about joining. Thank you for any and all responses.

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 12:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Membership in the Good Sam/Pesidents Club does give you a decent discount on Camping World merchandise which in my view is a feature that is worth taking advantage of if you shop there. There is also a slight discount (10%?) on camping at many campgrounds. Mr. Lemonis has also introduced some new features such as gas discounts at Love's stations. I think he's working hard to increase the value of the membership and I credit him for that. Overall I think it's worth the price of the membership. As far as cons I'm not really aware of any. It just gives some value. I do not have any service done at Camping World locations so I can't comment on that.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 01:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our membership fee pays for itself or we don't renew. They also have rallies where you learn lots and meet other Good Sam members. We have both Good Sam and Passport America. They both more than pay for themselves.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no benefits to join.camping discounts same as with AAA, AARP, etc. To get the camping world discount you have to spring up front for a camping world membership.
bumpy

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're charter life members and have been involved with a local chapter for over 15 years. Local chapters can be fun. With the merger of the club and Camping World this last year which included club members now getting discounts that was for President club members. There are some great(Samborees State Rallies)in states close by with IN having 2 and OH 3 during the warmer months. Go on the Good Sam website and check the benefits and Samboree/Rally listing.

Jackthewonderdog

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 02:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"unbiased opinion" isn't that a condiction? It's worth it.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

no benefits to join.camping discounts same as with AAA, AARP, etc. To get the camping world discount you have to spring up front for a camping world membership.
bumpy

Em, no

in 2011 the Presidents Club and Good Sam Membership where merged.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

r3security

Glen Ellyn, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were members but got no real value from it but that is because we were not able to camp those years. We also had a KOA membership that saved us enough on camping fees to pay for itself. I guess I would say that you need to look at where you'll be camping and if the campgrounds offer a Good Sam discount (or KOA) you will be able to save some money.
Rallies are an EXCELLENT place to meet new friends and to attend seminars so look to see if any memberships you are interested in offer these. I have not attended any Good Sam rallies but my wife and I belong to FMCA (Motor Homes) and have attended several rallies and the seminars were quite informative (Tire Safety, electrical systems, dry camping, etc.) so well worth the investment.

Happy Camping!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

Em, no

in 2011 the Presidents Club and Good Sam Membership where merged.

so what is the current cost of the membership for both?
bumpy

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandmaLee wrote:

Can someone please give me an unbiased opinion on the pro's and con's of membership in this club? What are some of your experiences? I am thinking about joining. Thank you for any and all responses.

(Keep in mind - this comes from a member)

It all depends on the reasons why you want to join.

If you're looking at just the campground discount, I wouldn't bother. It's been my experience that the discount you'll get at Good Sam parks for being a member, you'll very very likely get from them just by asking "Are any discounts available?", even without being a member. Give it a try yourself sometime and you'll see.

If you're thinking about Camping World discount, there, again, I don't think I would. There has been nothing that I've bought at CW, since whatever I find there, I find at a lesser price elsewhere. Again, this is something you can look into yourself by comparing prices on their website for similar items that places like Wal-Mart and other stores sell.

Now... if you're looking at joining a local chapter and meet other members, join local (or even distant) rallys and other get-togethers, then I say go for it.

You also get their ERS at a discount if you're a member, discounted extended warranty, insurance, etc. There are plenty of other benefits that I don't use. Things like store discounts, have a look at the GS site to see if you frequent those stores. The magazine, I do like. If you get into a dispute about something RV related (repairs, coverages, etc.), you can get their action line involved in helping you reach a resolution.

Again, it's all about why you want to join that will decide whether it'll be worth it to you.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Club

> Good Sam Club to join or not to join ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Club

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS