|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 2006 Keystone Zeppelin II 303

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
stephenlewissr

Cape Cod,MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First love the site. My wife and I have had a popup for a few years, before that tent camped. Well now with 2 kids under 3 we are looking at a Keystone Zeppelin 303 from a local reputable dealer. we are signing papers on it today, can't pick it up till the 6th of April. I was wondering if any of you had one or knew about them. The TT seems to be in great shape. I also opted for the Blue Ox WDH with built in sway control. Anyone know about this set up. I would appreciate any help or insight. We have never owned or used a TT before or this kind of tow equipment. Going at this kind of blindly. Maybe stupid on my part.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Keystone Zeppelin purchase. Don't have any direct knowledge of your particular TT or wd/sc hitch, but we were were in your shoes once and the dealer did a good job of choosing the right wd/sc hitch and installing it properly for our towing combination. As long as your tow vehicle is plenty capable to tow your Zeppelin, then just taking it nice and easy the first few times out will get you the experience to tow confidently. Let the dealer know you plan to do a thorough PDI and camping in your driveway (before your maiden voyage) for a day or two will help you get aquainted with your TT's major systems. Good Luck and Happy Camping!!!

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forums. Congrats on your new to you TT. I echo sandia man's statements in that I am unfamiliar with your particular TT and WDH. For the TT, you can try the keystone owners forum. I have heard of blue ox just haven't seen it. IIRC it is a pretty decent one. As long as you are within your TV's specs for TW, payload and tow capacity w/ your TT's loaded weight (not UVW or dry weight) you should be fine. There seems to be a learning curve w/ TT's but as you are probably familiar from pop up camping, ask your neighbor for help. They have probably been there done that. Just had that occur for us this weekend when we put the awning away for a storm and rolled the hand strap into it. They told us how to get it unrolled enough to get the strap back out. As to your PDI (trailer walk through at the dealer), try to leave the kids at home w/ a sitter or bring entertainment for them. We took our then 3 1/2 yr old and set her up w/ a movie and portable DVD player in the TT during our PDI so we could focus. Yours are younger so a babysitter would be better. Bring a video camera to your PDI, you will want to watch it later when you can't remember how to do something. Make sure they not only demo everything for you but you repeat the demo back. Make sure every last thing works on the TT and you know where your water pump and water heater are located (actually visualize them, not just they are in there). Best of luck and may you have many happy camping trips in your TT.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

stephenlewissr

Cape Cod,MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TV is a 2005 gmc sierra denali. With a tow rating of 9100lbs. Has a 6.0 liter v8
From what i have read i will be in good shape

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the new trailer.

The Blue Ox has a good reputation on this board. It's not as popular as others but I don't recall seeing any unhappy owners.

As with any WD hitch, it only works when it is set up correctly once the trailer is loaded. There's a detailer "sticky" at the top page of the Towing forum.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

Bajahaha

Kalifornia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had a Zeppelin for about 5 years, we had our previous trailer for 20 plus years went all over Baja with only a few problems.

We no longer travel out side of US and so far only to established campgrounds but have had more trouble with the Zeppelin in 5 years than we had with the other trailer in 20 plus years.

One major problem we had was the unsupported floor. According to the Zeppelin, customer service, and local dealer it did not need support, yet the local dealer service manager who indicated he was 265 pounds was hesitant to walk inside the trailer for fear he would break through the floor.

I have a neighbor who is an architect, a cousin who is a structural engineer and another friend who is a engineer, all examined the unsupported floor individually and collectively and agreed that it was extremely poor engineering and it it's present condition very dangerous.

The solution was to fabricate a cross brace. The frame is too thin for effective welding so a bracket was fabricated that bolted on to the side rails, in which we inserted a weather treated 2X6 on end and bolted it to the brackets.

We used it in that configuration for a trip to a San Diego camp ground for a month in December/January, and decided another brace was in order, which will be installed when our weather is better- Now it is only 70 during the day.

I would STRONLY suggest that you crawl underneath the trailer and examine the floor..and note the totally unsupported expanse the entire length of the trailer and if deemed appropriate with what I have disclosed have the dealer fabricate four brackets and at least two supports

There are a number of other problems that has occurred..the heater was not secured and almost fell out on an earlier very short trip - windows leaked etc etc The trailer is like a money pit do it your self tinker toy

You will receive absolutely no assistance from Zeppelin- Once the trailer is sold and out of warranty you are a liability rather than a valued owner and possible future customer to them

We attend the USC ND game in South Bend Indiana every two years. Some years ago we visited the factory in Goshen, it was big and impressive, but not enough for us to ever purchase a Keystone product again---Just too many problems!

Never the less we send you a big Kalifornia Congrats and hope you enjoy your new Z

sdm

Bajahaha

Kalifornia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stephenlewissr wrote:

The dealer mentioned the weak floor. They had me crawl underneath to show me how they put cross braces ever 3 feet. I weigh 210 and was walking in there and it felt really solid.

I will chrck out the heater. Dont want a money pit. That will take away from the family fun. Thank you so much for the advice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was told by professional minds that the frame rails were too thin to effectively hold a weld..So I (we) made brackets that bolted to the side of the frame...so check and double check if the brackets are welded (NO!) or bolted (YES!)

The heater on the side was held by two small screws...that was it! and they worked loose on a trip...It is now over repaired --Now it will take ten men and the mess cook to dislodge it.

We really like the floor plan but we will never ever purchased another Keystone product- good design, poor construction, Poor QC and certainly poor customer sevice and after sale support....and made by thise funny dressing Hoosiers!

sdm

stephenlewissr

Cape Cod,MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meeting with the dealer at 3 to hand over my popup and going to check the zeppelin over very critically. My family needs to be safe and have fun. Dont want to purchaae a piece of junk. We really appreciate the help.

stephenlewissr

Cape Cod,MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer mentioned the weak floor. They had me crawl underneath to show me how they put cross braces ever 3 feet. I weigh 210 and was walking in there and it felt really solid. I will chrck out the heater. Dont want a money pit. That will take away from the family fun. Thank you so much for the advice.

1jeep

acushnet ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the slide for leaks before you take delivery! I had a 303 and it leaked like nobodys business, the trailer sat at the dealer for 3 months while keystone stroked me until i took their buyback and bought my current trailer.
I am not saying all of them had issues, but keystone wasnt surprised about mine.

2011 F250 CC LB, 6.7 urine injection
2007 keystone Outback Sydney 32BHDS
2009 HD Ultra CVO
2013 CanAm Outlander 1000
1963 Wife..no mods

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 2006 Keystone Zeppelin II 303
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers