|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> "newbie" mistakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, not sure if that was done before but thought what a better way to teach newbies than to start a thread of all the mistakes we've made.. Learn from someone elses mistakes.. No flamming, maybe a laugh or two and I'm sure we'll all learn, even the experienced RV'er. I have a couple..

1) Backed into site, leveled, jacks down, chairs out and beverage open.. Goto put out awning and... Uh oh.. That tree I swear wasn't there before?!? Must have the awning! undo it all.. hook up.. move over a foot.. note to self.. Awning needs room!

2) Raining.. pull fifth wheel in.. Kids are excitted, DW is anxious to get out and inside.. Drop legs.. pull electrical cord.. pull pin.. Get in.. Drive forward.. Clunk.. Forgot the tailgate.. Ouch..

3) Filling up fresh water potable water tank.. hose in.. oh.. it's full, Standing in front of water inlet.. Pull the hose out.. Back preasure? I don't know but LOOK OUT! you're about to have a shower! When the fresh tank is full and you pull out that hose at times it will spit water back out at you like a firehose! you only do that once! you learn to stand to the side

4) hooking up TT.. back up..I bet I can do it on teh first try!! What is my wife trying to say to me? Why is she holding her head and making that scrunchy face? Bam! Forgot the tailgate is down.. Front tounge jack connects with tailgate.. I might note that I was dead centre

5) Back into site late at night.. tired.. site has a slope.. I've done this a million times.. blocks under the front jack.. take the weight off, cranking the handle.. seems the coupler is bound on the hitch head.. no problem.. I'll just jump on the bumper of the truck.. that will free it up.. CLUNK.. Yep it's free! Wait? Where is the trailer going? OH MAN!! wheel chocks! Trailer digs a nice trench in the ground and burry's itself as it comes to a stop.. look around? anyone hurt? anyone watching? quickly get thigs back to normal.. (once we change our pants)

6) Hook up the fifth wheel... have a walk around.. nope.. didn't forget anything.. get in the truck.. put it in drive.. start to pull away.. clunk clunk.. OH.. Ya know what I forgot? Those great BAL wheel chocks? Guess they are no match for the Cummins

7) last but not least.. No power at the campsite.. battery low.. 4am.. furnace slowing down.. NP.. Teh cummins has two big batteries.. Back it up.. plug the cord into the truck.. return to bed.. fan is blowing great now! Next morning.. DW.. Can you run to town? Np. jump in the truck and off we go! Wait a sec? My truck never used to have a tail? Damn.. that cord at 4am.. !! good thing I'm giong to town.. the rv place can provide a schematic of how the wires need to be connected!

Circle check! Before you move anything! Double Check everything.. but most important.. NEVER allow anyone to rush you.. that is what my years and years of experience have tought me..

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I have come to realize is after a long drive, it's tough to slow down and not rush the set up. I seem to take my time a little better when breaking down vs setting up.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

WHS

Waitsburg, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great stories... Can only relate to the awning issue and the wheel chocks... Although as a boondocker, I have also learned to not only check the trees and shrubs but to make sure the door is not over a low spot as well... Nothing like a nice rain storm to find out about that nice big mud puddle

05' Layton Lite 170LT Cascade edition
06' Chevy Silverado K1500
We-No-Nah Rendevous, a Ljutic, a Remington, a Hard Rock Pro, a Polaris 550XP & Raleigh the Hunter

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done a few in my days. Most recent was hooking up to the popup to take it to the dealership and trade it in on the new TT. Guess the excitement got the best of me. Cleaned it out, popped it down and latched it all up, hooked up the truck, did a walk around even. All looked good.

Jumped in the truck and it was dragging like the brake was stuck. Get out and realize my daughter had chocked the other side of the trailer, not just the drivers side I had done. Left a little 6'long x 8" wide rut in the yard I had to repair when I got home but just sweat, no $$$.

First thing I did on my first trip with the new trailer was make a checklist as I set it up and again when I packed up. We used one on the PUP and it saved me a few times and with the TT being new to us, thought it might save me a more expensive mistake.

I've laminated it and we just go down the list one step at a time to make sure there are no "I thought you did that" moments. Works like a charm.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A mistake I have also made is disconnecting the TT only to find out I either put too much or two little support under the jack in order to level it. In both cases it involves putting down the stab jacks then QUICKLY removing or adding blocks to/from under the jack.. At times this is unavoidable at least for me.. My hitch is high and the travel in the jack is short.. so I need a lof of blocks to get it disconnected. Not so much a "mistake" at times.

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHS wrote:

Great stories... Can only relate to the awning issue and the wheel chocks... Although as a boondocker, I have also learned to not only check the trees and shrubs but to make sure the door is not over a low spot as well... Nothing like a nice rain storm to find out about that nice big mud puddle

Ah the rain! lessons we learnt from pitching a tent!! ;W

I must say though I never considered the entrance to the TT.. I will now though, thx.

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far, I've been pretty lucky. However, I do have one little story that might fit into this post.

I had just finished emptying my black tank and hooked up the green hose to the black tank flush inlet to refill the tank to help clean it out. I have a 60 gal black tank and after standing there for a few minutes, I decided that I could do a couple of other things while the tank was filling. Yep, you guessed it. I forgot all about it and about 20 minutes later I noticed water coming out from the bottom of the MH. Of course I immediately realized what I had done and quickly turned off the water.

I sure didn't want to go inside expecting the worse, but eventually forced myself to do so. I found the rear of the MH with water all over the floor and it had actually gone down into the furnace grates. The toilet was full, but fortunately, the valve was closed so that only water could actually come back up into the bowl and flow over the sides to the floor.

An hour later, I had everything cleaned up and pretty much dried out. When we bought the MH, one of the things that we had insisted on was non-carpet flooring. What a great decision that turned out to be.

Lesson learned....to be sure.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first time I took my pop up to camp by myself, I accidentally left an ice chest full of 20 gallons of melted ice water on the counter.  When I pushed the bed in, the cooler crashed to the floor,  parts of it broke off, and the entire popup was filled with a couple inches of water! 

Now, with my new trailer, I have a huge checklist of pre-departure items on my iPhone. Not taking any chances with this baby.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In RV language they're not mistakes, they are "learning experiences".
We've all had them..

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure that the regrigerator door is completely latched.

Eggs and salsa bottle broken on the carpet... instant huevos rancheros.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> "newbie" mistakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: