|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> "newbie" mistakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay... This wasn't my mistake, but it taught me a lesson that prevented me from ever doing it. I was at the dealer to pick up my brand new popup. They were giving me my training/orientation. The guy was showing me how to turn on the heater. It didn't come on so he wanted to get down to take the cover off an look at it. He needed me out of the way, so he told me to sit on the back bunk. The second I sat down, that whole danged popup started to stand up on its end. The bunk supports fell out when the end of the bunk hit the ground. It scared the stuffing out of me. The guy was really rattled. He got a team of guys to come and check everything out, but there wasn't any damage. After that, he said, "Let me go ahead and show you how to put the stabilizers down!" I always did that first before I stepped foot in the popup. But, I also never slept on that bunk, either.

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ain't never, ever, made none of them stoopit misteaks. Not never ever.
Well, not since last Wednesday, if you don't count Saturday...

GM

Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Wxguru

Austin,AR

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a victim as well...

1. On our first travel trailer. I got all excited about getting it setup in our driveway and hopped in the truck to pull forward. Heard a nice loud pop...oops, forgot to remove the pigtail. Luckily it just broke the tab in the spring cover on the truck that holds the pigtail in. Gorilla glue fixed that.

2.Our new trailer sits pretty low...and is fairly long (31')..so I need to be careful going down hills that flatten suddenly...so I keep from bottoming out the rear end. Table Rock State Park Campground has a nice one of these. Turned left to head for the dump station...at a higher than normal speed for this little obstacle...then the most god awful sound. Looked in the rearview, saw smoke, and noticed the once attached plumbing cover rolling down the road beside us. Oops...and all of this in front of very seasoned veterans having breakfast. Thankfully checked the plumbing and it only ground off the plastic tab on the bottom of the plumbing where the hose connects. Nothing cracked.

3. 2x's, forgot to swing wide enough...almost. First time, leaving a gas station, came within an inch or so of taking out their mailbox. 2nd time, I hopped a curb in a campground. Almost bottomed out the rear end again...plumbing survived...again.

4. Forgetting to remove chocks...yep...done the hopping thing too. Those cheap little chocks sure do a good job of preventing 7000lbs of moving!

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Bighorn, 6.7L CTD
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28A+KS
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie, 6.7L CTD--Owned 1 week!
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X2, 5.7L HEMI--Retired Dec 2012

wobly

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So,we bought our new TT last year and the DW was excited to use it. We took it to Denver (Chatfield State Park), set it up and enjoyed the weekend. Sunday came and it was time to dump. I got my blue gloves on and opened the cover on the dump valve so I could hook up the hose. It is the kind where the black and Grey tanks both dump out of. When I opened the cover, massive amounts of "fluid" began flowing out. It turns out that when the dealer was de-winterizing prior to the sale, they opened both dump valves and didn't close them. I failed to check them prior to using the trailer. I check them everytime before removing the cover now.

Towards the end of last season, I was teaching the DD how to hook up the WD hitch and told her to use "the fourth link". I meant fourth from the top. She counted from the bottom. I didn't double check because we were in a hurry. On the drive home, I noticed the trailer bouncing strangely. When I went to disconnect, the WD bar she hooked up had a wierd bend to it and the chain hanger had popped off the trailer from the excessive tension. That was the indicator to get a new hitch.

There are more stories but those are the important ones.

2010 Dodge Ram 1500, Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi
2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS

Strutter

Home

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Stored the Harley in the toy hauler. Going camping for a long weekend about 3 hours away. Tied it down, loaded up and headed out. Got to the campsite and realized I'd forgot the keys. There was no way I could take the bike out because the handle bars were locked at the forks.. We also couldnt access the bed very easily since the TH only hade a rear overhead bed above the bike.
The whole purpose of the trip was so we could take the bike out.
Yep I drove home and got the keys. 6 hours later I was back. Was still a great trip after that.

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was mistaken.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Making sure that the power cord can reach the utility post is done way before the truck is unhitched & everything else is done these days.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

frankdamp

Anacortes, or wherever we've gone.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we got our present rig, it was the first we'd had with levellers and the first with a captive (hard wired) shore-power umbilical.

I tried out the levellers on the driveway. Lots of spitzen-sparken. The left rear jack foot came down on the umbilcal and cut through it.

My second electrical disaster occurred after installing a new umbilcal. I backed off the driveway, after forgetting to stow the umbilical after I disconnected power. On my rig, the left duallies will run over the umbilical and rip it out of the transfer switch. It even tore the relay contacts out of the relay. More spitzen-sparken! A new transfer switch installation was the next job.

I now have 6" x 4" index cards with velcro dots that warn (in bright red 24 point bold font) of power cord and water hose being hooked up. They block the top half of the speedometer.

So far (2 short seasons) nothing else dumb, except nearly falling out of the driver's door when I missed that stirrup step in the wheel arch. That got me a hospital stay for spinal surgery! The only time I use that door now is when I'm parked at the side of the garage for storage. We can't open the house door in that location, so I use a step ladderat the driver's door.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen
Anacortes, WA

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10.
Dogs - 2 Labs, both yellow males, both 10 yrs old and both adopted.

Playtime II

No. VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not trying to go for a record or anything but I have another one to add.

Last trip of last year the hook on the sewer cap broke off so I added a new cap to the list of things to get/do for winter. Well, bought the cap, replaced it and headed out for the first trip of 2012. the pin on the pipe that is used for the retaining strap on the cap also broke so that was on the list but I did not get to it. So, I set up slinky and rested the cap on top of the pipe. We were running behind on departing so I was in a rush. I was sure I did everything and made two walkarounds to be sure. When we got home to the storage lot, I noticed the bare sewer valve! Yep, I forgot to put the cap on and it is now somewhere else. At least I did remember to close both valves.

I've bought another cap and put it on the TT but I still have to figure a way to attach the restraining cord. I'll probably connect two zip ties together and then to the grey pipe where it enters the "Y".

Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

jack0351

Santee, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done the one about forgetting the chocks on a TT type toyhauler. I'm sure my neighbors appreciated it, as it was already 10pm when I had arrived.

One interesting thing with that TH- make sure the campground isn't doing "improvements" and puts up a fence where your TH ramp drops while you are at work... At the end of the week, I had to hitch up and move down to the campground office's check-in/out parking lot and go back for the motorcycle. Perhaps not a "mistake" but definately a learning experience!

2013 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 w/Aisin
2012 Dutchmen Voltage V3600 Toyhauler
2000 Harley FXST

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> "newbie" mistakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts