RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Filters for Ford diesel 6.0

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

 > Filters for Ford diesel 6.0

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
shawnct450r

Goose Creek SC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/29/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every vehicle I own (or have owned for the last 10 years) gets WIX filters and rotella T6 5W-40 oil. Ditto - "the 6.0 loves the rotella synthetic".

A bit more expensive than standard dino oil, but I don't have 4-5 different types of oil in the garage.


04 F250 FX4 Diesel
06 WW LE3305
06 Honda TRX450R (CT Racing)
04 Suzuki LTZ250 (Son's stunt machine)
06 Suzuki LT50
05 Honda VFR800A



BobWanderer

Perris,Calif,USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/19/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

jeffws wrote:


I run the SHELL ROTELLA T6 5W-40 FULL SYNTHETIC - The 6.0 likes the syn.......


I run the same oil in my Honda 450x!


I run it in the Husky with a Rekluse clutch, after the next oil change, the KTM will get the Rotella. Thinking of running it in the Xterra since its now out of warrantee. Cuts down on the extra stock of oils sitting in the garage.

Nothing wrong with Wix or Fleet Guard filters, thats what we ran in the fleet.


2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

sljkansas

Miami Co. Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 09/28/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy my fuel filter from an International dealer at about half the price of Fords filter and since the engine and fuel system is International built, I figure that they know the systems pretty well.


Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter can now be called a Teacher.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch


Sprinks542

Western Pa.

Senior Member

Joined: 07/07/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oem filters here also along with Rotella 15w40


08 Ford F-350 SD PSD CC
10 322 Fuzion Touring Edition II
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

lincster

Mesa Az

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5W40 is a light oil to be running in the 6.0L. The 6.0L shears down the oil something fierce. After 3000 miles, Blackstone labs said my oil that started at 15W40 was a SAE30..... I did analysis every 3000 miles for 60,000 miles and they all said the same thing.
I would run 15W40 in the 6.0L.


2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

pcassidy111

California

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/27/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5w40 synthetic oil is Ford approved, in fact there is a Motorcraft 5w40 oil but it is about 30% more expensive that Rotella synthetic. The 5w40 also helps reduce spool valve stiction when the weather turns cold and the rough cold idle/miss that accompanies the stiction.

As for fuel and oil filters Motorcraft only. Motorcraft is the only primary fuel filter that has the water seperator media on the outside. The Motorcraft oil filter is the only one that totally engages the drain back valve in oil filter housing and ensures that it is closed. For air filters nothing filters as good as the Donaldson paper element filter that came on the engine. Use a K&N (or any other brand of dirt sucker filter as we call them) and you are asking for problems.

* This post was edited 03/27/12 08:46pm by pcassidy111 *


Pete

BobWanderer

Perris,Calif,USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/19/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

5W40 is a light oil to be running in the 6.0L. The 6.0L shears down the oil something fierce. After 3000 miles, Blackstone labs said my oil that started at 15W40 was a SAE30..... I did analysis every 3000 miles for 60,000 miles and they all said the same thing.
I would run 15W40 in the 6.0L.


I missed the 5W40 part,
running 15W40, same as we ran in the fleet.

lincster

Mesa Az

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/27/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcassidy111 wrote:

5w40 synthetic oil is Ford approved, in fact there is a Motorcraft 5w40 oil but it is about 30% more expensive that Rotella synthetic. The 5w40 also helps reduce spool valve stiction when the weather turns cold and the rough cold idle/miss that accompanies the stiction.

As for fuel and oil filters Motorcraft only. Motorcraft is the only primary fuel filter that has the water seperator media on the outside. The Motorcraft oil filter is the only one that totally engages the drain back valve in oil filter housing and ensures that it is closed. For air filters nothing filters as good as the Donaldson paper element filter that came on the engine. Use a K&N (or any other brand of dirt sucker filter as we call them) and you are asking for problems.


Sure it is Ford approved, but look in the diesel supplement for a 6.0L, it says to run 15W40 for high temps, towing, severe conditions. And didn't you read what I said about oil shearing? It is a well known issue over on dieselstop.com.

5W40 is recommended for the new 6.7L for severe use, but that motor is a totally different animal.

The OP tows a good size toyhauler, he should be using 15W40.

pcassidy111

California

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/28/12 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5W40 synthetic is back approved for all engines, check out the data sheet on the oil. The synthetic has the flow characteristics of a 40 wt hot, same as the dino oil. Don't worry about what you oil analysis says, change the oil at 5000 miles or sooner on the 6.0l and you will be fine.


I tow an 11000# trailer year round on 5w40, and that includes numerous trips over the Sierras (sea level to 9200 ft) and have had no oil related problems. What makes you think the 5w40 oil would shear to a lower viscosity than the dino oil?

* This post was edited 03/28/12 06:55am by pcassidy111 *

jeffws

Ladera Ranch CA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/28/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincster wrote:

It is a well known issue over on dieselstop.com.



Links??


00 FLHR
03 XR 50
05 CRF 70
03 XR 80
05 CRF 230F

06 Yamaha Rhino
06 KTM 525 EXC

05 F-250 CC,4X4,6.0 PSD
06 Gearbox 295FS
05 Carson 7x10


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

 > Filters for Ford diesel 6.0
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS