|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> removing smog equipment

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

SoCal, that's why it's a good idea to get a fresh smog test when you're selling a vehicle. It protects YOU because it's true the buyer can come back against the seller if the vehicle doesn't pass smog.

A great idea, but it doesn't protect you from:

- future emissions tests that are more stringent.

- voided warranties even if smog gear put back on.

Best to never touch a tuner / modded vehicle to begin with. Even if it is put back to stock.

Always verify factory warranty.

News, we're talking about two different things; I'm talking about getting a smog test on a bone stock vehicle I intend to sell to protect ME. I have no interest in removing smog equipment and don't advocate same.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

bmanning wrote:

cabanaman wrote:

Wow what a bunch of sissy boys. I'm out of this thread.

Caring about air quality = sissy boy?

Wow...just, wow.

The next time you and your family go out to dinner, can I sit at the next table over and smoke cigars?

Sure...I like the smell of a good cigar.

Me too, LOL, just wouldn't do it in a restaurant next to someone who didn't.

Cigars, legal; removing smog equipment, not legal. I have friends who disagree, and I want to put them in a headlock but at the end of the day they're still friends.

Next time I'm in NE I'll have a smoke with you

* This post was edited 03/29/12 11:11am by bmanning *

BManning
baking in Phoenix
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not legal to remove smog equipment anywhere in the US. People get away with it in certain areas because their state or county does not test for equipment. That does not mean it is legal to remove it though.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

1jeep

acushnet ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How quickly things get off track on this forum..lol
I traded in my 08 diesel, it was deleted/tuned and passed emmisions 3 times in a row and yes in MA they stick it up the ole tailpipe.
Anyway when i traded in the dealer knew what was up and the first thing they asked was do i have everything to return it to stock. Yes, i did and i dont know anybody that has tossed out a DPF as you never know when it would need to go on.
The new truck is staying stock, not because i am a sissy, but because i like it quiet and with less smoke.

As for the harley question, well we are being caught up too, my current HD came with a cat. It fell off and the bike runs better and cooler, if you dont like hearing about that incident im sorry. My bike is running pipes that fall under the EPA noise level.

2011 F250 CC LB, 6.7 urine injection
2007 keystone Outback Sydney 32BHDS
2009 HD Ultra CVO
2013 CanAm Outlander 1000
1963 Wife..no mods

Highway 4x4

La Verne, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beware of deleted trucks. Over on the diesel forums that is one of the big things people are doing right and left. Removing all the smog stuff does make the truck get better MPG, more power, oil stays cleaner longer and even some argument about engine life in general. I think all that is true and I think the mfgs could have done a better job with the smog equipment. The dealer can tell if the smog has been removed and re installed. These guys that delete are really going to have a problem getting rid of the truck someday, depending where they live and the laws there. Even if it is legal to remove equip where you live, there is still the fed laws and your area laws could change. If I bought a new truck I would leave it stock just like my 03 is. I will keep my 03 till I know the new ones run with all the smog on them as good as deleted trucks run or I keep what I now have. Have you looked at all the smog stuff on a new truck?

benalbert

ND

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

IMO, the solution is simple, IF you can afford it:
Just refuse to buy a NEW vehicle. Instead of paying $40,000 (give or take a little) on a NEW vehicle, spend $20,000 (give or take a little) on rebuilding your existing vehicle, the older the better (for you).
No doubt about it, given the choice between installing an HO Cummins 5.9 with 6 speed manual tranny in my old truck, versus buying a NEW truck, I would go for the engine and a paint job!
And perhaps a nice 10 foot flatbed...

Great idea, unless you live somewhere the roads are coated in salt on a regular basis. When your vehicle is ten years old and shedding like a leper, there's not much rebuilding you can do.

08 F350 CCLB SRW 6.8
00 KZ Sportsmen 951

Highway 4x4

La Verne, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want a new truck but I am so, upset, with what they have done to the diesel I refuse to buy one and I hope I am not alone, AND I hope the big wigs and salesmen at all the dealerships read this.

Madhatter1

Madeira Beach FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wills250psd wrote:

gmcsmoke wrote:

Highway 4x4 wrote:

I want a new truck but I am so, upset, with what they have done to the diesel I refuse to buy one and I hope I am not alone, AND I hope the big wigs and salesmen at all the dealerships read this.

And what is that? made them more powerful, efficient, quieter and longer lasting? Yeah what they've done to diesels is a real disgrace.
Sorry gmcsmoke, I dont believe any of the current big 3 will last as long as the early cummins,dmax and 7.3. Now the new ones are quieter and more powerful but not as efficient. I have friends with early dodges, and fords with 500-650k miles. now the trucks have had many parts replaced but the engines are original and still running strong.but 2 out 4 aint to bad.

Only 1 out of four. The extra power is obtained by high RPM and you need to floor it. My 08 6.7 CTD tows the same way my 97 12V did. I let it shift around 2000 to 2200 and it pulls just fine. Anyone here actually have a newer truck that floors it to get up to speed? If not you are just using the inherent torque of whatever design turbo Diesel is under the hood. The rest is just bragging rights for the manufactures.

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Highway 4x4 wrote:

And what is that? made them more powerful, efficient, quieter and longer lasting? Yeah what they've done to diesels is a real disgrace.

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmcsmoke wrote:

Highway 4x4 wrote:

Sorry gmcsmoke, I dont believe any of the current big 3 will last as long as the early cummins,dmax and 7.3. Now the new ones are quieter and more powerful but not as efficient. I have friends with early dodges, and fords with 500-650k miles. now the trucks have had many parts replaced but the engines are original and still running strong.but 2 out 4 aint to bad.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> removing smog equipment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS