|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Our Dream Trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
The Works

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to start spending our kids inheritance with a 6-7 month trip from South Carolina up the New England coast into Nova Scotia back through Maine to northern New York, western New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee and finally back to South Carolina. Were going to spend 2 weeks in New York City and Boston and a ton of 3-4 day stops in between. We have been putting this trip together for 2 years and it starts in April 2013. Coming back from Nova Scotia and through Maine we will be on I95 then getting off I95 onto US Hiway 2 then following US Hiway 2 through New Hampshire and Vermont. We have not found many campgrounds on US Hiway 2 in Vermont and a couple of KOA's in New Hampshire, my question is has anyone travelled US Hiway 2 and can suggest campgrounds to stay at. We are fairly experienced campers but we will listen to anyone's suggestions and precautions to consider prior to this adverturous. Thanks to All!

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to (also) try the - "Roads and Routes" forum
(and/or RV Parks. etc. forum).

Have a good trip!

~

John Bridge

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did travel that route about 4 years ago. I managed to find parks on the way, but they weren't on Google or anywhere else for that matter. They are there. I can't tell you the names, but you will find them where you least suspect them -- out in the country with no towns around.

Semi-"retarred" in 2006. :-) 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from 5th wheels to Roads & Routes.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Vermont I can highly recommend two spots along Route 2. Sugar Ridge in Danville, http://www.sugarridgervpark.com/

And Apple Island in South Hero http://www.appleislandresort.com/

Sounds like a great trip - have been that way many times - and lived in VT for years.

GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After not finding campgrounds in all of the usual places (here, rv park reviews, google, yahoo, Woodalls, etc.), I have often had success when I use yellow pages.com and type in both RV parks and campgrounds in the search area. May be a little tedious as you have to also name small towns but I have found them.

Enjoyed reading about your dream trip

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2000 Xplorer Class B van, usually pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not clear what your route is in New Brunswick, but if you want to experience the Bay of Fundy, you can take route 1 to the Border at St. Stephen NB/Calais ME and then route 9 across to pick up I95 at Bangor. All good 2 lane roads.

X2 on Apple Island mentioned above.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel that area a lot and I can think of at least 10 CG along Rt. 2 in NH. If you're like me, most of them would be pasted right by... Like the one at Six-Gun City or the one at Santa's Village, not that these are not good CGs, but they are geared to a particular theme and without little kids they get very tiresome. Yes, I've actual stayed most all of them at one time or another (6 grandkids 6-24).

I grew up in Isle La Motte VT. (two islands up from South Hero) so, I'll give you 2 thumbs up on Apple Island (see if you can figure why it's called "Apple Island"). Plan on spending some time in that region. Very rich in American history, the islands were named for the Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys. Do a little research you'll find it fascinating. While you're in that area check out the Shelburne Museum, plan on spending the day there, but you won't be able to see all... maybe you'd better plan for two.

How are you crossing the lake? Doing the Champlain Ferry? my favorite, I love a good sea adventure (keep a close eye out for "Champ", the reputed Sea Monster). Or are you heading up through the Island and cross over at Rouses Point? My ole drinking town, back in 50 & 60 the legal age was 18) If you're going that way be sure to make a detour over to Isle La Motte and step back 30 year in time (you'll soon see why we had move, you can only take so much Island life) but its alway fun to visit.

* This post was edited 03/28/12 05:25am by Thomas/NH *

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't mention what kind of rig your camping with... But there is a National Park campground just up (south) Rt. 16 in Gorham NH. It called "Dolly Copp" and right at the base of Mt, Washington, a wonderful place to camp they can accommodate some big rigs, but like most FPS CG kind of primitive with just water and some eclectic. There is a great story about Dolly' after being married for fifty years she announces she 's had enough living in the wilderness and leaves her husband for city and never returns .

While you're there a trip up the MT Washington Auto road is a must ... its only 8 miles long, but what a trip... Don't want to take your rig up, they have coaches or you can bike or hike it. Or you can run around to the other side and take the Cogg Railway up. I've done them all and loved each one.

Here's a link to Dolly Copp: http://www.dollycopp.com/
The Auto Road: http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
The Cogg Railway: http://www.thecog.com/

RVER

West of Boston, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Champlain Adult Campground in Grand Isle VT is very nice and the "adult" part is about NO KIDS so if you want a campground without a playground and not kids skidding their bikes down the campground roads then this is the place. It sits on the Lake Champlain, but most sites are not ON the lake but back a little. We stayed there two summers ago and it was a very nice place. Also Apple Island seems nice but we have not stayed there. Traveling in NH and VT you want to know the height of your rig and the height of low overpasses and wooden covered bridges. There is a great place with a few covered bridges in it but not with your rig. Montgomery VT I believe the town is, VT is such a wonderful place to visit. Also down south there is a campground called RiverBend CG on RT 7 I believe but call because it may have been totally destroyed by the floods that hit VT last year.

Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS with lots of goodies
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers and along for the ride is Ketzel the wonder cat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Our Dream Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS