RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Firearms???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Firearms???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DianneOK wrote:

Moderator note....this topic will last as long as you folk keep it civil. It is all in your hands.........

Another gun thread. I think the Mod is on to us... That being said the NRA is working on a Bill that will remove the restrictions of State to State. I doubt it will happen because of California, Mass. amoung others. Myself, I look at it this way. What is more important to me, some writing on a paper burried in some Government files that most travelers don't understand or the safety of my wife, myself and my property. AZ has some of the most reasonable carry laws and crime is on the down grade. When I travel I feel safe no matter where I camp. I would never admit to a cop that I had a firearm if stopped for a burned out tail light. Don't ask and don't tell. Sure, I'd be in a world of hurt if I shot a killer in the Republic of Kalifornia that was attacking me but what is the trade off? All their system wants is to keep there attornys fat. It's a shame but at least the life of my wife and I are safe... IMO..
Think about it. Most all laws carry a fine that if you're not good you have to pay money to the "government". The laws and the government are written by attornys. If you want to fight the government, you have to pay a attorny. Gun laws are just another vicious circle tied to "the force".. IMO.. OK MOd?? I was nice...

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the Moderator implied, this subject has been hashed over and over. But, it is a important topic and many newer RV owners want to know "the rules".

Forget the excuse that your RV is your "home" and exempt from search. It isn't as long as the LEO has probable cause. (Refer to US Supreme Court ruling on an appeal of a US Circuit Court decision.)

So, carry a shotgun that is not accessable from the front seat of your vehicle and not in sight.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Jim & Betty

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello here is for Calif as you can see having a loaded magazine and the rifle in reach is illegal in CA. Just look up the laws for each state you travel through. I assume that in most cases if the firearm is locked and not loaded and not in reach of the driver you should be OK. I did say most as I understand that there may be some areas that firearms may not be allowed for any reason

JimR

PS one should not advertise waht they have or how they plan to store it. There was an old saying during the war WWII "loose lips sink ships"

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS

California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

borntwotravel

Central IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Books are great but the law change frequently while the books don't without buying a new one.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is one of the best sights I have found and they are constantly updating it as laws change.

The biggest problem I have found is the patchwork of local restrictions. Everyone knows what the speed limit is because it is posted. Gun laws are never posted. The state in question may say you are legal but the county or city may have their own rules. Thankfully, many states have passed preemption laws cancelling the local rules, leveling the playing field.

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real point is that anyone/everyone has the right to carry and in our case is for personal protection...if needed.

We have the CCP for Nevada since we live here but also have a Utah permit which has reciprocity with over 33 other states. You get these permits with the proper training...the bad guys don't need permits.

* This post was edited 03/29/12 07:26am by an administrator/moderator *

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a concealed carry permit for NYS, but in most counties if you put down personal protection it will be denied. The county sheriff has final approval and they usually figure that they are protecting you and you don't need to protect yourself. And if you put down target practice, it will be approved. And you better have a NYS permit if you enter the state, or have it in a locked container in the trunk or someplace you can not access it while driving. And New York City, well just don't go there cause you aren't going to get a permit unless your someone very special. They will not even honor permits from other counties in NYS. Don't get upset, just letting you all know whats what here. Don't go getting all huffy about it.

* This post was edited 03/29/12 07:31am by an administrator/moderator *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guys, you are just going to cause this thread to be closed...... :-(

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator note....if I see any more personal attacks this WILL be closed.

Most of you regular readers on my 2 forums know that I am fair to the point of lenient, but I will not tolerate personal attacks, either on other members or myself.

I really should just close this now, but the OP had a legitimate concern which many fulltimers share and would like to see his questions answered in an intelligent way. I know that is possible and hope that I will not have to shut this down.

I don't generally give second chances but I will this time.

DianneOK, moderator

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Leeblev

Pinole, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting back to the OPs original question. He was talking about a rifle, not a concealed weapon. There is a huge difference in laws regarding each of those categories.
It boils down to you finding out what the state laws for a loaded firearm are in your motor vehicle. Since the OP stated his handgun was in the trailer and the rifle in the truck, what I suggested he do is determine what constitutes a loaded firearm, not what constitutes a concealed weapon. Big difference.
In CA, you can carry a loaded rifle in unincorporated areas, but NOT in incorporated cities. This law came about because the Black Panthers took legally loaded (at that time) shotguns to the state capital and into the gallery of the Assembly. Boy, did they (State Legislature)quickly pass a law closing that loophole!
So, again I say, check the various states laws as to what constitutes a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle and abide by them and you won't have a bit of trouble.

Lee
2001 36' Kountry Star DP

searfoss

East Stroudsburg PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leeblev wrote:

I suggest that you read the laws ... don't take someone's advice on doing it, but read the laws yourself
X2 X2

Leeblev wrote:

if need be, ask a LEO in one of the states.
I would not do that, it is sad, but many (not all)police do not actually know the firearms laws. There have been many cases of Police Dept being sued for wrongful arrest etc.

There are usually two different type of firearms laws you need to know, 1) Carrying a firearm, and 2) TRANSPORTING a firearm.

As said above read the law YOURSELF.

I have not read all the laws but common sense would be: When in doubt unload the firearm completely making sure nothing is in the chamber. Unload the magazine (some states consider a magazine with ammo in it a loaded weapon). Lock the firearm in the most rearest part of the vehicle. Make sure ammo is boxed and also locked up SEPERATE from the fire arm.

Poconos Pennsylvania
2007 Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze 23TRS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Firearms???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing