|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> folding ladders

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
2bit

OC

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone put a new folding ladder on the exterior of there toy hauler..I see the newer TH have the ladders that fold against the wall for easier traveling, but when I called the manufacture about getting a new one they said it will not work for it does not have strenth in the wall to hold a person, the old one (which is only a year old) has different holes and the brackets would not work they said..any ideas..we cannot drive with the ladder on the outside that came with it, so we always leave it behind, but I really want to have access to the roof if I need to...Ideas ..really like the way the new ones look and the folding brackets..I could go and get a folding ladder at CW but again its about space ..

maryvillept

Jackson, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not buy a telescoping ladder. I bought a 12.5 ft that collapses down to 2 ft and weighs 30 lbs. we needed a loft ladder so it serves 2 functions: roof ladder and loft ladder. You can partially extend them. They go for 110 on ebay

2012 Chevy 3500hd crew cab short bed. 6.0 L, 4x4
16k Reese slider hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 38' toy hauler

curt12914

Northern NY State

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maryvillept wrote:

Why not buy a telescoping ladder. I bought a 12.5 ft that collapses down to 2 ft and weighs 30 lbs. we needed a loft ladder so it serves 2 functions: roof ladder and loft ladder. You can partially extend them. They go for 110 on ebay

I agree with maryvillept. The telescoping ladder can easily be transported in a compartment, keeping them out of the elements. Although I love my folding, telescoping ladder, they are heavy and cumbersome. I feel the telecoping ladder is better for an RV.

Here is a link for one at BJ's Wholesale:
http://www.bjs.com/xtendclimb-8-12-alumi........ping-ladder.product.205039?dimId=2000250

05 Ford F-350 Lariat CC 4X4 PSD DRW Line X Retrax
02 Montana Big Sky 3295 RK (2) Honda EU2000is
When my grown kids were inspecting our new fifth wheel, one asked why we bought a trailer that sleeps 4. My reply was that we couldn't find one that sleeps 2!

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with installing the newer design ladder is probably the attachment points. The newer TH is reinforced in the correct place to mount the ladder, yours isn't. It could be done but would require opening the wall and installing additional reinforcement for attaching the ladder.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

maryvillept wrote:

I agree with maryvillept. The telescoping ladder can easily be transported in a compartment, keeping them out of the elements. Although I love my folding, telescoping ladder, they are heavy and cumbersome. I feel the telecoping ladder is better for an RV.

Here is a link for one at BJ's Wholesale:
http://www.bjs.com/xtendclimb-8-12-alumi........ping-ladder.product.205039?dimId=2000250

Telescopic is a great idea but make sure yo get one that is long/tall enough for your trailer.

Typical fifthwheel is going to need a 15' model to access the roof top safely.

Doughboy12

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

Typical fifthwheel is going to need a 15' model to access the roof top safely.

You must be joking...? You can't safely climb that last foot? ... lol

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> folding ladders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS