|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Small, portable air compressor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where does everybody carry them in their rigs? I've not noticed that much 'spare' room.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rehoppe wrote:

Where does everybody carry them in their rigs? I've not noticed that much 'spare' room.

This is why I have theTsuami / masterflow. small size fits in the smallest of my outside storage compartment without taking a lot of the limited space.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Kave2u

Southeastern NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up this unit at Lowes. It will even power my impact wrench
http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=23677

Kettrell & Sharon
Clinton, NC
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 03:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this Senco and I couldn't be more pleased.

The SENCO PC1010 Compressor is a 1 hp, 1 gallon, oil-less portable air compressor. At only 16 lbs, this compressor is easy to carry and to use in a wide variety of applications. It's only 13" tall (to the top of the handle), 14" long, and 10" deep. (BTW, the 20 lb weight noted on sellers and manufacturers websites is shipping weight. It weighs only 16 lbs.) It's almost silent, puts out a more than adequate volume of air, and it's low amperage draw makes it ideal for running off the generator.

I previously had two of the Husky air compressors pictured below. The first failed within the Home Depot in store warranty period so I returned it for replacement. The second failed beyond the warranty period even though it had only been used a few times. I got maybe six uses out of both combined. They were used ONLY to air up tires and RideRite air bags when leaving campgrounds or boondocking for an extended period time. They were never used at home as I have a large industrial sized compressor in my garage.

Since the second failed beyond the warranty period, and neither Home Depot or Husky were willing to give me any compensation, I disassembled it and was astounded at the cheap materials used in construction. The regulator is part of the manifold assembly. It is not repairable separately. The manifold is crudely made of the cheapest, high zinc content, pot metal available. The regulator itself is made of a "brass like" material. It is so soft that the threads where the shaft engages in the body had just stripped out. Other parts of the unit, including the tank, looked to be made out of similarly cheap materials.

I called the customer service line noted on the documentation included with the unit. This turned out to be Campbell Hausfeld who makes all of the smaller "household" Husky air compressors. (actually Nu Air out of Shanghai, China makes them for Campbell Hausfeld) I was told that they would not supply parts, since the unit is not made to be "user serviceable" but would repair the unit for a price with me responsible for shipping costs.

I inquired as to whether they would use the same parts used in the original unit, or if they had identified a known defect and would use an improved part. The operator did not know but transferred me to a "technician" who said the same exact part would be used. I said "Thanks but no thanks", knowing it would just fail again in short order. BTW, I took a close look at most of the smaller Husky air compressors at Home Depot (1.5-4 gallon) and observed that most used exactly the same regulator/manifold assembly. BTW, several other RV.net forum members have posted about the exact same failure in their smaller Husky compressors.

AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!!

Shopping. Sold 2005 31' Coachmen Freelander 3150SS, considering options.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AstroRig57 what is the PSI rating. I've been advised to get one that is 135-150psi

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Click on the link in AstroRig57's post:

The PC1010 is ultra-quiet and ultra-light lubeless pump compressor.
•Hand carry - ultra-quiet and ultra-light, only 20 lbs.
•Direct drive induction motor/pump for efficient operation
•1 hp. (peak) .5 hp. (running), oil-less motor
•1 gallon air capacity
•4 amps @115V, 120 psi max output
•1/4" quick disconnect coupler
•Individual gauges for tank and regulated output pressure
•Lubeless pump
•CSA approved
•1-year warranty

http://www.senco.com/Documents/Specs/PC1010_SS.pdf

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ecjo11

Cape Cod

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this- works well and only weighs about 6 lbs.
Shop around for price- you should be able to purchase for less than $50.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/asi300.aspx

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm building my own, with a Honda 5.5 engine (Light weight) and a compressor, This came off of one of the wheel barrel type air compressors, I found a small 150 PSI tank that came off of a Mack coal truck, I think all together it weighed in at 64Lbs I'm adding a air hose plug in so we can air the tires up and also will use this setup for the ride rite Air bags, For ride and for leveling the RV.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASPENMAN wrote:

AstroRig57 what is the PSI rating. I've been advised to get one that is 135-150psi

Actually, if you click on the link under the image in my post, and then on the "Specs" tab, it says:

"Pump Up-Time: 0-120 psi: 128 seconds
Recovery Time: 90-120 psi: 35 seconds
Max Pressure: 125 psi"

If you are intending to use it to routinely air up tires and air bag suspension it's more than adequate.

I don't see why you would need a higher pressure, or higher SCFM rating, unless you are expecting it to air up a totally flat tire on which the bead has been broken. If that's the case, you've probably got bigger problems than most small portable air compressors can handle and it's time to call for road service.

If you are unfamiliar with Senco, they are a leader in contractor air powered tools including nailers, fasteners, and staplers. The compressor I bought is a high quality tool, built light and small with many aluminum parts so a roofer can sling it around on a roof, and energy efficient so it can be run off small generators and/or with a long extension cord. They're not cheap, but I got sick of cheap tools a long time ago and have gotten so I no longer fall for the "false economy" of cheap tools.

It takes up a very small footprint in my rear storage compartment and is lighter than anything comparable. It's so light that instead of plugging it in on one side of the RV, and throwing a long air hose under the rig to get to the tires and air bag on the other, I just carry it to the opposite side and plug it into the outlet on that side. Like most owners of most large Class-C's (Super-C's excepted), I'm always cognizant about the need to be frugal in regard to weight.

It's reliable and I always have confidence that I will have air available.

* This post was edited 03/31/12 12:58am by AstroRig57 *

Replant

Someplace

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldtrucker63 wrote:

I'm building my own, with a Honda 5.5 engine (Light weight) and a compressor, This came off of one of the wheel barrel type air compressors, I found a small 150 PSI tank that came off of a Mack coal truck, I think all together it weighed in at 64Lbs I'm adding a air hose plug in so we can air the tires up and also will use this setup for the ride rite Air bags, For ride and for leveling the
RV.

Way to go, Tony. As my father used to say - "Waste not - want not." That was during the last Depression. We may have another. At the truck stop where I gassed up, the price rose 76 cents a gallon in 3 1/2 months.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Small, portable air compressor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS