RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Restringing 4-String Day Night Shade

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Restringing 4-String Day Night Shade

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a day/night shade "first aid kit" from CW. It includes plenty of cord for any restringing job plus instructions, plastic guides and adjustment wheels.I spent about 3 hours so far taking the shade down and restringing the large 4-string dinette window D/N shade.In the process, I cut away a ripped section of the "day" part, which was simple to do. Hardest part was keeping all the strings organized going the right directions per the 4-string diagam that I found on the internet. I think I may be ready to slide the extruded parts back together over the shade sections and the ganglia of new strings. I used tape to hold the pleated shade sections together during restringing. I think that it might be worth it to pay to have this job done if you get confused or frustrated easily. If and when I get it back up and adjusted properly, I'll feel like I accomplished something. Tomorrow, I'll look for the missing center rail end cap, may have to whittle onel.

* This post was edited 03/27/12 08:28pm by Bordercollie *

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, some folks say this is an easy job but the crossing strings caused me some confusion. Then to beat it all I could not get it tensioned when I rehung it.
Finally figured out to tension the strings all the way while the blind is up (held up with a stick) then with one person on each side pull the string evenly and tightly as the blinds are lowered, first day then night. THEN wrap around the posts that hold the strings tight and tie off. Maybe this hint will help you get them to work again!
I ended up with one extra end cap that must have fallen off without my notice. I'll replace it next time I have to restring them.

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

flibmeister

Gold Canyon, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/12 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that need a shade restrung, here's the easy three-step process I used:

1. Pulled up in front of Jacque's house in Mesa, AZ.
2. Opened the motorhome door for Jacque, pointed at the offending shade and took a seat our of her way.
3. 30 minutes later, handed Jacque $40.

Seriously, for those who are unsure of their skills or just don't want to bother doing the job themselves, this lady does great work. If you can't get to Mesa, you can ship your shade to her UPS and she'll ship it back to you the same day.

http://rvblindco.com/

(I have no personal affiliation with Jacque whatsoever, just a satisfied customer)

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's definitely interesting the 1st time out, you learn the shortfalls. I didn't enjoy the first one, but now carry all the parts to restring anywhere if needed.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You gotta be sure that the nylon grommets that line the string holes in the bottom metal piece don't drop out and get lost or get crooked during a restringing sesson.

If these gromments aren't there and/or properly fitted into each hole, the string will fray with each use and eventually the string will break again.

One of my grommets was not installed properly at the time of manufacture and consequently my string eventually broke from excessive fraying on the hole's sharp edge because the nylon grommet was not positioned right so as to be between the string and edge of the hole.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

curt12914

Northern NY State

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thread. I have one to refurbish myself. Thanks for posting.

05 Ford F-350 Lariat CC 4X4 PSD DRW Line X Retrax
02 Montana Big Sky 3295 RK (2) Honda EU2000is
When my grown kids were inspecting our new fifth wheel, one asked why we bought a trailer that sleeps 4. My reply was that we couldn't find one that sleeps 2!

Garry&Gayle

Hemet, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process of restringing a 4 string shade, measured an unbroken string cut all 4 strings, followed the 4 string diagram, got it all back together and its a ft short of closing. They aren't all strung the same way I guess. Frustration - still contemplating it.

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate day/night shades. They are a pain to restring. I am glad manufacturers are starting to go away from these (Winnebago and Tiffen I think). They are going to the old roller shades. One for day (black mesh) and one for night (typical shade).

When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and be careful when sliding the rails back over the "day" shade plastic edge material, an edge can catch and rip the flimsy day shade material easily, I patched it with a piece of scrap day shade material and crazy(CYA) glue.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned of a trick to replacing "Unbroken" strings in mini/micro-mini blinds, and wonder if it would also work for day/night shades in motor homes. Here is the process in bullet fashion.

1) Leave the shade mounted to the wall.
2) Close the shade letting it hang completely down.
3) Find the ends of the strings and cut off the knots leaving clean-cut string tips.
4) Pull gently on one string to determine the opposite end of that same string. For micro-mini blinds, the other end is also hanging down. Hopefully the same applies to day/night shades.
5) Using a candle lighter, melt both the tip of the old string and the tip of the new string-on-spool.
6) While the tips are dark, melted and gooey (they have enough plastic composition in them to melt) press the two tips together end-to-end and quickly roll them between finger and thumb to roll out any bumps in the tips. You have successfully attached the new string to the old string without bumps. Bend the bonding area to relieve excessive stiffness.
7) Slow & careful, pull the opposite end of the old string out of the shade, allowing the new string to follow along through all the places the old string goes. When you have pulled the old string completely through, cut it off the new string and trim the new string to the same length as the original.
8) Repeat for additional strings.

If you cannot pull the old string through, you may have to remove the shade from the wall and do some disassembly, but maintain the same general practice of attaching new to old string for ease of that portion of the job.

We have restrung every micro-mini blind in our house this way, but never tried day/night shades. If you try it, I would like to hear how it went for you.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Restringing 4-String Day Night Shade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS