RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Restringing 4-String Day Night Shade

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Restringing 4-String Day Night Shade

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally got the darn thing restrung and reassembled, with all plastic guides in place and all strings free to move, made a replacement for the lost end cap out of wood, and then hung the whole assembly with three screws inside the valence with help from my son. Tip: The whole thing needs to hang down loose, not bundled/tied, while you install the top mounting screws though the top rail, then pull the strings snug, leave some free string, tie them on the adjustment wheels and screw the wheels into the sides of the valences. Finally wind the adjustment wheels until the strings are quite taught and tighten the screws more to hold the adjustment. Strings should almost "twang". The repaired shade works as good as new, may have to re-adjust tightness of strings a little if they stretch. Yahoo! When day/night shades work properly, they're quite nice. Be careful to raise and lower both sides evenly and gradually, the day part is flimsy and can rip. Tip: First Aid kit comes with very long cords that drove me crazy during restringing exercise. If you can figure our approximately how long they need to be with all of the criss/crossing and leaving some extra, cut them off. Left overs might be long enough to restring a small side or rear window shade.

* This post was edited 03/28/12 06:15pm by Bordercollie *

Edward Jones-Dome

Collinsville, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2006-09%20Restringing%20Day%20Night%20Blinds.pdf

It took the wife and I about 30 minutes to do the restring and about an hour to remount them.

Gerald G Todd
2 Tents, 3 Pop-ups and 3 Motorhomes (currently 2006 Winnebago Outlook 25F).

wxtoad

Sturbridge MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have just the one-way (night) type of shade in our rig, but the process for re-stringing is similar. We tackled two of them last year and documented the process on the first one. You can find our pictures and instructions here.

Good luck. The first one took quite a while; the second one was a breeze.

Ted H.

2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13
Toad Hall

Joe Hamm

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of those shades come from http://irvineshadeanddoor.net/ Elkhart, Id. There is usually a sticker on the bottom of the shade with phone#. They will restring your shade for $15.00 if you pay freight both ways or will sell you a kit for restringing. I sent a very long shade to them and with packaging and shipping the total was almost $130.00 from the west coast. I used the WX Toad info to reinstall. Next time I will just by the kit.
Joe Hamm-2003 Lazy Daze

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small two-string shade is less unwieldy to work on and less complex string wise. Might help to take digital pics or draw pictures during disassembly. Measure intact old strings and cut new strings to same length plus one foot, strings in CW's First Aid Kit are very long and get tangled, etc. You need a large flat working space like on a bed.I made a "needle" out of a thin steel wire with a thin eye in one end to thread string through holes and guides in shades. Keep the little plastic guides in place. I taped the shades closed during passing the strings through, took tape off and let shades hang loose to allow screwing top rail in place. Make sure all strings are free to move/not snagged when sliding extruded rails back in place. Sharp edges of extrusion can snag and rip flimsy day shade material, be careful sliding them back on. Maybe restringing the next ones will be "fun". Nice to be able to raise them and open sliding windows and lower them for privacy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Restringing 4-String Day Night Shade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS