RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Toad in accident - Insurance coverage?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Toad in accident - Insurance coverage?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 12:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You buy insurance to make the car look "Like it never happened" - so yes they need to restore the car to look like it did the day before the collission with the telephone poles.

Any particular reason for running into a bunch of poles? If they where part of some construction project, did you slide on loose rock or mud caused by the construction company? Or something else cause you to slide into those poles?

You want to get to the bottom of a problem like that, or the next guy driving along will do the same thing you did, crash into the same poles, because nobody informed the construction company the stuff they sprayed on the roadway is causing cars to slide around!

Good luck,

Fred.

ClassAGeek

NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Any particular reason for running into a bunch of poles? If they where part of some construction project, did you slide on loose rock or mud caused by the construction company? Or something else cause you to slide into those poles?
Fred.

Yes, in fact there was something else: The person who hit the post was lying on the side of the road cry "please help me!". I will admit: I let this distract me. I was looking at him while I slowed down to try and help. Then "boom!".

In the cold world of liability and insurance, I don't think the human condition matters.

----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

easttexan

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been years since I was in the auto insurance business, but I think anything that is permanently mounted to the vehicle will be covered by the insurance.

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it's either covered or not. Make the claim and you'll find out. Insurance the same on the MH and the Toad, think it might be covered. Homeowner's Policy; check it, too. Good Sam? Make the claim there, too.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the many years I've been insured by them, Allstate has covered accident and vandalism damage that included repair/replacement of aftermarket trailer hitches, step bumpers, mirrors, a CB radio, and even hubcaps on my vehicles. I'll check with my agent, but I don't see why a baseplate would not be covered the same as any other permanently installed hardware.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ClassAGeek

NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Over the many years I've been insured by them, Allstate has covered accident and vandalism damage that included repair/replacement of aftermarket trailer hitches, step bumpers, mirrors, a CB radio, and even hubcaps on my vehicles. I'll check with my agent, but I don't see why a baseplate would not be covered the same as any other permanently installed hardware.

You raise a good point. Comprehensive coverage certainly handles vandalism. I don't think it applies to accident related damage in all cases

And as you suggest, the significant attribute appears to be: The base plate was permanently attached and not meant to be removed. My agent believes this will help my case and will ultimately cause it to be covered. As several people have mentioned, the claims adjuster has the ball right now. Her next move will be interesting.

I have "premium insurance" which protects my rates so long as I don't have another claim for 3 years. So having an 'at fault accident' is not the end of the world. I will, however, be on the hook for a $1000 deductible if the accident is deemed to be 'at fault'.

I can sue the other driver for this $1000 in civil court. There is no doubt that I can prove: "He put the post on the road". I have pictures and witnesses. I get conflicting information on whether doing that makes him liable for my subsequent collision with the post.

Wingn

Mims FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the Company is Liberty Mutual Ins., they will try every way they can not to pay anything.

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First....check with YOUR policy. Each company has different rules and different states have different rules.

I used to work for USAA insurance as a claim adjuster, and back in the day it would have been covered under the comp/collision portion of the policy.

However, it got me to thinking and I double checked. YES, the front tow bar is covered under comp or collision...and I also double checked on our truck topper. It's also covered. No additional riders are needed since they are permanently attached to the car.

Not all insurance companies/policies are the same, so it's best to check.

Now, that being said...if you hit an unmoving object, it's generally a collision (at fault) loss and it may increase your premiums.

Call your claims adjuster and check.

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be prepared to fight ahead of time. Say you end up in the hospital, appraiser shows up a few weeks later, looks at your car, and then compares it to several similar vehicles, NONE of which will have the towing modifications. DO NOT let them appraise it unless you are there.

Wrong Lane

Fredericton, NB

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am an insurance adjuster in Canada. Check your policy. It defines the vehicle in clear terms.

In Canada the definition is - The vehicle described in the policy and its equipment. We cover aftermarket add ons like truck caps, chrome steps, giant tires, alarm systems etc. Heck we even include child safety seats which can be removed from the vehicle as equipment. Here in the frozen north the base plate and wiring would fall in the definition.

So check your policy, see how they define the vehicle, then check the exclusions to make sure after market parts are not excluded then base your fight with the adjuster (if you need to have one) on facts not feelings or general opinions. Insurance is a contract and the company will have to honor its terms.

2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Toad in accident - Insurance coverage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS