|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Abby having tough time with Haylie gone

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
otis-agnes

Wrentham, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Miss Abby seems terribly depressed. I know she misses Haylie, we all do. I've heard of dogs dying of no apparent reason shortly after their "pal" has passed away. It's been over a week and Abby won't even lift her head when I come home from work (she use to jump all over me with excitement). Otis is with her all day and he takes her for walks, plays fetch, and tries to keep her busy. I'm hoping she just needs a little more time. Thanks for listening, Agnes

Otis, Agnes and our 2 Goldens, Abby & Penny
2007 Sunnybrook 270 BH w/Honda EU2000
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they do sometimes get depressed and it sounds as if she is grieving. It also sounds as if you are doing the right things - I don't know if there are anti-depressants for dogs but you might ask your vet. Sorry for your loss and hope Abby gets back to normal soon.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

nabi

Ont

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am so sorry she is having such a hard time....such a worry for you....hope things turn around soon for here...I am sure your DVM will have some suggestions to help her get thru this period of grieving..

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joy wrote:

Yes, they do sometimes get depressed and it sounds as if she is grieving. It also sounds as if you are doing the right things - I don't know if there are anti-depressants for dogs but you might ask your vet. Sorry for your loss and hope Abby gets back to normal soon.

Yes there are anti-depressants we use for dogs, and this is a perfect example where they can be useful. The grieving causes chemical changes in the brain and it is sometimes hard for animals (and people) to get beyond this. Sometimes the pattern becomes fixed, so the longer you wait before intervention the greater the risk. What Otis is doing is great and in some cases that is all that is necessary, but call your vet and get some suggestions.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

sher9570

NY/Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a feeling that Abby would have this reaction, we had a heart wrenching period with Lucy after Zack passed away last June.
We did all the things for her that Otis is doing with Abby but nothing seemed to help, she wouldn't even go swimming, we did not go the medication route only because we thought that time would heal...it did not.
Lucy knew what happened to Zack, she got to say goodbye but she still did not understand. She would look at me like I did something terrible to her buddy and it was all my fault.
I started my search to recue another dog and that's when we found Bubba and adopted him but we took Lucy to a meet & greet and it went very well. It was the first spark of life we'd seen out of Lucy since Zack had passed, it was about a month of hell for Lucy.
We did what we did for Lucy but we love Bubba and the two are now best friends.
I'm not saying it works for everyone but Abby is used to having a playmate and I know it's so soon after losing Haylie but it's worth thinking about over the next few weeks...I had a hard time doing it myself but Bubba has been a healing force for all of us.
I hope Abby can find some peace poor thing.

Sher

Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba, Pom...4/1-2010
Zachery my best bud Pom-5/2-98 to 6/18-2011 RIP
Sofie 9/5-1996 to 9/22-2007 RIP

campincandice

Metro Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sher9570 wrote:

I had a feeling that Abby would have this reaction, we had a heart wrenching period with Lucy after Zack passed away last June.
We did all the things for her that Otis is doing with Abby but nothing seemed to help, she wouldn't even go swimming, we did not go the medication route only because we thought that time would heal...it did not.
Lucy knew what happened to Zack, she got to say goodbye but she still did not understand. She would look at me like I did something terrible to her buddy and it was all my fault.
I started my search to recue another dog and that's when we found Bubba and adopted him but we took Lucy to a meet & greet and it went very well. It was the first spark of life we'd seen out of Lucy since Zack had passed, it was about a month of hell for Lucy.
We did what we did for Lucy but we love Bubba and the two are now best friends.
I'm not saying it works for everyone but Abby is used to having a playmate and I know it's so soon after losing Haylie but it's worth thinking about over the next few weeks...I had a hard time doing it myself but Bubba has been a healing force for all of us.
I hope Abby can find some peace poor thing.

Sher

I also went thru this with my Molly, and ultimately we chose Sabbath to come live with us It's been a wonderful match, and Molly perked up quickly!! Sabbath was NOT a replacement, just a happy distraction as he quickly wormed his way into our hearts! We can't imagine life without him...

Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

kokosfriend

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenBen had some problems with the loss of Koko. However, we were able to get a 7 month old from our good Lab breeder. BenBen appeared to be angry at first at having this youngster around!! He growled at her and I was letting them work it out. Willow was being appropriate with her submissive behavior, but it was like BenBen was saying "get rid of this silly jumpy dog and bring my Koko back!" I finally stepped in and let him know I was in charge and Willow was here! Almost overnight everything changed. He fell for her, took to playing and became a happy and content playful boy and Willow is his girl. I think he had to grieve - she died at home and he sniffed her as she was carried out - and my whole point is just that a new companion worked, but it did take a little time to adjust. Dogs are somewhat different and if you decide to bring in another companion, don;t get discouraged at first. Walk them to gether and take them for some care rides! They will bond.

Barb

Barb and the 4 chocolates

otis-agnes

Wrentham, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spoke with my vet after she consulted with an on-line vet group. She said the anti-depressants take a couple wks to really kick in, and she doesn’t want to go that way right now. We should continue to keep Abby busy with walks, playing, maybe some doggie-play dates. Abby needs to adjust to the fact that she's the only dog now (as much as I'd like another dog, we're not going to get one right now).

As with people, she needs time to heal. I'll keep a close eye on Abby and inform my vet if she doesn’t improve - she has her good days and bad. Fingers crossed for more good days!

Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such a cutie. Daisy was that way after we put Diesel to sleep, we had another dog an older one & she couldn't care less for her. We ended up adopting Misty a month after & it did help. We took Daisy to meet Misty she gave her a kiss and we knew it was the right thing. Hang in there and just keep giving her lots of love

2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF campers mom, dad
18 yr. old son
20 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

chrisnpat

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh my goodness she looks so sweet. I feel really bad for Abby, my Daughter has Goldens, second to my own, I just love that breed. Best wishes to Abby.............I hope she feels better soon.

Christine and Patrick
Dudley and Summer Time and Now Sebastian
Katie Bug and Maggie Mays at Rainbow Bridge
miss u sweet baby's.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Abby having tough time with Haylie gone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts