RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: How hard to sell?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How hard to sell?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Mass

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, everyone, for your input and thoughts. It's not that our situation has gotten worse - just different when it comes to the costs and benefits of camping!

A lot of you are speaking of CL as a sales-point, do you recommend that over consignment?

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great time of year to sell. Hybrids are lite and more economical than some bigger rigs. Should be no problem to sell. Sure am sorry for your loss. You are making the right choice. Best of luck.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would post on CL. Why pay consignment fee? Not hard to sell and who know's your rig better than you do?

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have listed our 5er on rvtrader.com and in two weeks have had 3 responses

1. Was a guy interested in our TRUCK ONLY
2. Was a SCAM artist
3. Was phising (fishing however it's spelled)

We also listed in several Craig's List markets and have had two responses

1. Was a SCAM
2. Was phishing

So .... the moral of the story is that where the internet brings an unlimited number of perspective buyers... it also brings the riffraff.

"I am looking for a trade deal and what I am offering can be viewed "here.com"!

"I am buying this for my Dad who lives in Australia and have hired a buyer agent to handle the deal on and on and on"

"Give me your Paypal identification and I will make an immediate deposit into your account (later it would be a $500 down payment, remainder to follow after..."

"Buying from a remote location, have instructed Mr. XXXX to inspect, take delivery, and give you a Cashier's check for the full amount" Later to find out the Cashier's check is a phony AND even though the bank cashes it, they come after you to repay them that full amount..

Be very careful... some of these "deals" you get through email, responses to ads are very plausible etc - these folks are "professional scam artists", emphasis on professional.

I guess once we get into a populated area we will advertise in the local papers, with local RV dealers etc. LOCAL is the key I think. And if you don't have any local luck, you might consider letting a consignment dealer sell it for you - costs XX%, but eliminates a lot of possible frustrations.

Good Luck

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

rovobay

Damascus, Oregon (Portland Suburb)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Craigslist all the way if you can. Post all the details and tons of pictures. I just bought my first trailer off of CL and found the best posts have detailed descriptions and lots of photos. be careful of scammers and dealers/wholesalers. There are plenty of buyers out there and spring is when people are looking to buy! good luck

1999 Cameo by Carriage 26FLS bought in February 2012 (our first trailer)

TV is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 6.6l Duramax and Allison Transmission

bioman

Pullman

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was lazy and traded my old 18' Mallard. Dealer turned around and sold it in less than a week with the body damage and all. Obviously there was more market for the unit than I had believed.

My buddy had a very similar unit but decided to sell it himself, took a few weeks but it also sold recently.

Yes you will get some junk but posting to Craigslist is FREE and a lot of folks will start looking there first.

Good luck!

2012 Shockwave 23FSMX
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW, G56, full deletes
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

TOOBOLD

CALI

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our trailer this time last year and this is what we did. Listed it in the local newspaper and our paper has front page ads in color. We listed on Ebay in the Classified section where it was free! and also on Craigslist and RV Trader.

Rv trader was a bust, craigslist low ballers, local newspaper lots of foot traffic, but Ebay got it sold for us. We even delivered the trailer to the new family 100 miles away.

Once we decided to sell we took out most of our stuff and I cleaned to heck out of it. We received good feedback from potential buyers. The downside was our floorplan with no slide. The buyer was actually looking for no slide.

Hope this helps.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just make sure you wash the camper and do a nice job of cleaning it before you take the pictures. You only get one change to make a good first impression. A clean camper gives the impression that it has been well cared for. You'd be shocked at how many people post pictures with the bed not made, dirty clothes all over the camper, dirty dishes in the sink that they have taken while camping.

Spring is the time to sell as those interested in campers are fired up after the RV shows and on the hot lead for a good deal. Price high enough to be able to come down $500-$800 off you list and still get your bottom dollar. People want to feel like they got a deal. If your firm and won't give an inch, some people will walk away, even if the price is a fair price. Better to over price a little and move down. $500 higher price is not going to scare anyone off looking for campers in your price range. Many will figure they can get you to move that much.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Trail-Mate

Frederick, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son and I just sold 2 cars on Craiglist. Son having a harder time selling his Diesel truck there. Ebay is another source. I found my TV listed on there and have sold 2 cars thru them. Clean them up good and take good pictures.

1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

stitchinsue

Central Pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was looking on craigslist, my question to all of the sellers was does it or has it ever leaked. All of them it did, and they all said yes. I just wish they would have stated that up front and described it.

I sold my embroidery machine on craigslist and got a bunch of scammers - for an embroidery machine jeeze. So, when someone responds, have someone else read what they wrote. You should be able to figure out if it's a scam or not. Ask yourself if that is how you would do the transaction.

Good luck!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How hard to sell?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS