|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Downsizing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
cmassey

Delmarva Peninsula

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are finally by ourselves, retired and are downsizing. We've done the motorhome route and the large travel trailer (9600 lbs gross) routine. We're now looking at 21 to 22 ft. (3600 to 3800 lbs. empty) trailers such as Flagstaff 21FBS or Rockwood 2109S, Fun Finder's, ect. All have queen bed in front, couch or dinette slide, and rear, large bathroom. Anyone else out there having downsized, now agrees it was the thing to do? We think so for us. Only us two and don't really need 28 to 30 feet to be comfortable. My truck (2500 HD) will probably thank me too! Which small slide trailer works for you. Thanks.

* This post was edited 03/29/12 10:25am by cmassey *

2002 Silverado 2500 HD ext.cab
6.0 liter; 4:10 rear
2001 Sunnybrook 27FKS
Reese Dual Cam setup

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a lot of front bedroom rear bathroom units nowadays but don't like that layout. Why walk across the entire length of the rig during the middle of the night (we're seniors) just to use the bathroom?
Be SURE you can will be able to live with the smaller space since you are so used to having more space.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

sremsing

Maumelle, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My kids are all grown, and my wife and I downsized a couple of years ago from a 32 footer with bunk beds to a 26 foot Rockwood 2604. It ends up being just the perfect size for the two of us. We will both be retiring in June this year. If I had it to do all over again, I would do the same thing.

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

janechucknicodemus

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In May of this last year we bought a Keystone Passport 19.5 RB, new. Best investment we have made for along time. And the "run" to the back is not that far
Also our 2500 Silver does not even know it is there, I threw away the weight dist bars and the sway control hook up. The pick up weights almost 3 times the trailer. Just load the fresh water and there is plenty of tow hook weight to keep it straight. No problem in winds, bad roads or trucks passing. We average 12.5 on the flats and 11 mpg on hills and winds.
On note you may not be able to get the same version of mine if you live on the east side of the rockies.
Happy camping and travel safe
Chuck

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I see a lot of front bedroom rear bathroom units nowadays but don't like that layout. Why walk across the entire length of the rig during the middle of the night (we're seniors) just to use the bathroom?
Be SURE you can will be able to live with the smaller space since you are so used to having more space.

Answer your question! It's the only exercise we get! Lol

ddepr1217

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Rockwood 2109s and love it! It's the two of us and our 15 month old daughter and her travel pack 'n play fits perfectly when the slide is out. We have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the towing package and it pulls the trailer like its not even there. Your 2500 won't feel a thing.

Its nice to know that we have something small enough to go anywhere and I feel confident in putting in in some very tight spots.

Good luck!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8 3.42
2012 Prime Time Tracer 245bhs Touring Edition

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We actually "upsized" to a 22' HiLo recently. We've always had a Class B, but recently purchased a '09 HiLo. Even though it's small by most folks standards here, for us, the interior space is like a small palace, even without a slide, or tip out in the case of HiLo's.

When I mentioned gettin a longer than 22-24 foot trailer, my wife said no. She wasn't interested.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's exactly what I did. I even had a similar post to yours about 4 months ago, though my reasoning may have differed a little. In my situation, I no longer wanted to winter in an RV or live in them period. I traded down from a 37 ft 5wh. to a 22 funfinder. For road trips and weekends it's perfect.
I love the ease in handling my small combo. The short wheel base makes manuevering in tight places a breeze. The small trailer comes in handy when visiting relatives. I can keep my birds and two dogs in the trailer. It also comes in handy for day trips to Zoos, botanical gardens and other attractions in my corner of Pa.
I also downsized the truck from a one ton to my present 1/2 ton. The ride is so much better and the truck fits nicely in parking meters and public garages.
My sister and I are planning a trip to the National Parks out west. This trailer has all the comforts of a larger trailer without the added floor space. The cap on the truck allows for extra storage, though the 22 Funfinder is adequate enough. The fridge is the same size as the one I had in the 5th wh. In fact all the appliances are similar in size as well as the bath at the rear. The queen bed and flip open couch is also about the same size and comfort. Lots of luck with whatever you chose.

forthefunofit94

N. E. GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 33ft tt to a 25ft. Best decision I've make in awhile. We like the mountains of NC. With the old unit, I sweated bullets on the back roads. Now, I don't even give it a thought. I go where I want. And with the downsizing, we went from a queen bed to a king. I don't think you will ever look back, but that is me.

David

David & Karen Castellon
2002 Dodge Ram Quadcab Diesel
21 WRS V-LITE
EQUAL-I-ZER

xteacher

Newnan, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found out that downsizing doesn't necessarily save you on fuel, if that's what you're looking for. You'll still have the sail in the wind effect. We went from a 31 foot Passport to a 22 foot Tracer (shorter and lighter), and we got the same gas mileage. It was easier to pull, and we could park it much easier. Otherwise, not any difference, other than less interior space.

Beth and Joe
3 Grown, Non-camping children
1 Future Camper - Granddaughter Alice (born 6/25/14 )
2 Camping Rescue Pups: Maddie (malti-poo/westie?) and Sunny (toy poodle)

2014 Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB
2010 Nissan Pathfinder

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Downsizing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: