|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Another carpet cleaning question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a Hoover steam vac last week and wsa reading the directions as I want to clean carpet in 5ver next week.

I was surprised to read that it says to let carpet dry between cleaning and rinsing. Is this "normal" or how do you do yours?

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a professional.

Bob & Ann

North AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did ours a few weeks ago with a Hoover Steam Vac. We used Bissel cleaner in it. We held the triger down and went over each area several times. I then released the triger and the vacuum sucked up all of the water. It was pretty well dry when we finished the job but we put our dehumidifier in the motorhome for several days. We then sprayed the carpet with Scotch Guard carpter dirt repellant. It ended up looking and feeling great.

Bob and Ann
One HAPPY Schnauzer - Della
One FRISKY Chihuahua - Lola
Tiffin Motor Home
2014 40 QBH Phaeton
Freightliner Chassis
Cummins ISL 380 HP/150 Torque
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Toad
Brake Buddy Vantage

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rinsing? My "steam" machine applies the wet solution and sucks up the dirty solution all in one motion. I do let it dry before walking on it. that is all you need. No rinsing necessary.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm ... we use a Bissell carpet cleaner and their cleaning fluids for both the house carpets and motorhome carpets. No rinsing is required - just one treatment and then let the carpets dry.

The Bissell uses hot water (it heats it even more after you fill it with hot water) mixed with it's cleaning fluids, beats and sprays the hot mix into the carpet and then vacuums it right back up with all the dirt on each pass. The mix is a dark brown due to lots of dirt after each cleaning pass. Very convenient, fast, and thorough.

I wonder why two passes would be required for steam cleaning?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make one pass to clean and two or three passes to suck up the water. Then I do a pass with rinse water and several more passes to suck it up. I've had three steam cleaners (two Hoovers and one Bissell) and that's how the directions on all of them said to do it, although all said that rinsing was an optional step. I've never considered it optional, though. Who wants soap residue in their carpet?

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

I make one pass to clean and two or three passes to suck up the water. Then I do a pass with rinse water and several more passes to suck it up. I've had three steam cleaners (two Hoovers and one Bissell) and that's how the directions on all of them said to do it, although all said that rinsing was an optional step. I've never considered it optional, though. Who wants soap residue in their carpet?

Same here with my Hoover.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished doing my MH yesterday. We're currently on the road even in an RV park.

One pass per dirctions, then I've found out if with a second pass right after that by just using plain hot water even more dirt and soap will come up.

Followed by three hours (MH windows wide open) by the pool reading, then a couple of cocktails and a BBQ, then inside for the night with the AC running.

No problem, mon.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though most of those don't 'require' rinsing, going over it with clear water is a good idea, because they do still leave a reside, and residue attracts dirt.

That is the bane of using those carpet cleaners. They suck it back up, but the residue that is left behind eventually makes the carpet get dirtier quicker than carpets without any residue. Dirt clings to that residue a lot stronger.

revconman3

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foaming is your biggest enemy and the foam can end up blowing through the vacuum motors.

Your not doing any justice by cleaning carpet with soapy water in fact can damage it. The typical RV also has much more soil than a typical home, Im talking about pulverized soil.

Those tiny machines just don't have enough vacuum, pressure to recover the amount of water & soap, they are just not balanced.

In order for the carpet to be truly clean & to insure that pulverized soil (powder) that has made it's way through the backing doesn't wick back up while the carpet is drying, it must be dried fast.

If you must use those machines try applying the soap at a lower concentration with a pump up sprayer, let dwell & then rinse with just pure water and maybe a little distilled vinegar.

Call a professional, I do a lot of RV's and the problem is always pulverized soil and I actually flush & rinse these things at 700 psi with 240 degrees of heat and it takes several passes until I see the let up of soil.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Another carpet cleaning question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS