|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Liriope

Sun City AZ 85351

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in AR during the summer. We have a big Rat Snake that likes to soak up the sun on the front porch. When we come out, it jumps off into the bushes. I see her almost every time I mow the fields (10 1/2 acres). At first I tried to run her over with the mower on the tractor because I thought it was a Cottonmouth. I looked it up on the internet and found it to be a Rat snake.

So I named her Tammy after a snake of a past tenant and now when I see her, I mow somewhere else until she moves. Have grown to sorta love the old gal in a funny way. She is just doing her job eating my field mice and other snakes so I let her have her space.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I regret killing the last two that tried to get into our home.
One was on the front door. I didn't see it our neighbor killed it for my wife.
It was up one side of the casing over the top and part way down the other side.
The one I saw, years later, was over the patio door. It stretched from just about the ground over the top and down all the way the other side.
It was as thick as my forearm.
I went to get a gun to dispatch it. When I came out it was on the ground and within a few feet. It made a terrible stink.
I probably could have picked it up as I have smaller ones. I've had my arms bleed from some snakes from them struggling to get loose. Those scales on their bellies can cut pretty deep when they squeeze.
Only thing is if I had let it go it would probably have found a way in the house. They must have smelled our Daughter's Guinea Pigs.
last year was dry and hot and almost no winter this year. Little young snakes are pioneering and a lot, of people are going to encounter them. Today I saw several killed on the roads. Almost all of them were black and cream with yellow tint along the sides of their bellies. Rat Snakes I think. Won't hurt anything but will stink if you get near them.

Erie Tom

Willoughby, ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know they are here for a purpose,,,,but not around me.....410 with bird shot works for me!!!

Erie Tom N8UAZ (Better Half Pat)
Ohio Winter Steelhead Country
25' Innsbruck 5ver
2003 GMC 2500HD 2x4. Extcab SB Duramax/Allison
Reese Kwik Slide Hitch
Prodigy
Ham radio listen to 146.52 simplex. HF 20M and 40M mobile
Retired and free as a bird

azjeffh

Chandler, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

...snake in the rat trap next to house. ...What's a good way to catch them?

More rat traps? Seems to be working so far.

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
05 F250 Supercab PSD w/Tow Command
05 HR Savoy 29RKS

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out in the middle of nowhere far from civilization I leave all snakes alive -- rattler or not. Even around my camp I would rather chase it back into the brush than kill it.

Close to town or other people I kill rattlers, but leave others alone. Snakes do a good job at keeping mice and other small vermin under control, so let them be if possible.

There is a small amount of innate snake fear in everyone. Make a concerted effort to rise above it. I see no purpose in killing an animal solely because of irrational phobias.

As mentioned above, rattlesnake meat is rather mild. Not much flavor. Sort of like cheap processed pressed chicken loaf.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Frank&Renae

Madison, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are close enough to a snake to catch or kill it, you are close enough to it to get bitten by it. Most snakes want to be as far away fom you as you want to be from them. If you can't identify them, go away and leave them alone. Way too many good snakes are killed that don't need to be. Also, some like the Indigo snake, are an endangered species and can cost you avery large fine.

Frank now without Renae
KZ Montego Bay 37CKM
2007 Dodge 3500HD DDW

Three cats -- Sunkist, Topaz, & Amber
One dog -- Rascal
Started Full Timing since March 26, 2008

traxtermax

UPSTATE NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though I’ve never killed a venomous snake, I think I will follow the following policy upon the first “encounter”, if and when it occurs:

If I encounter a rattlesnake going to a mine or ghost town, I will give him a wide birth and return home using a different, distant route from the first. If I must return exactly the same way that I “went”, then I’ll kill a rattler because I may not see him on the return trip; he may not rattle, and if he does, I may not hear it.

I won’t kill snakes (except water snakes) unless they are a real, direct threat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS