|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Class B Generator Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a 190, it does have a spot for generator, under the floor in the rear. There may be two large plates hanging down; those are the hanging plates for the Onan. One of the advantages of the B is 'shortness', making it easy to find a parking spot. The hitch basket kinda of shrinks this advantage. Aside from the inconvenience of going outside to start & stop it, you'll also need to find a way that satisfies you personal sense of safety to carry spare gas.

Buying advice... read the FAQ's here on the B forum about buying used. Pay attention to the part about the test drive.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yahoo groops has a Honda 2000 group which had ideas for security.
Skipj

1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 04:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard, read the FAQ's here on the B forum that cover buying used, paying particular attention to the importance of the test drive on 4-lane roads with big trucks. I believe there's also a section on evaluating the condition of the Onan. It'll need to have over 1/4 tank of gas for the Onan to run.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

richardg40

new brunswick

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 03:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to look at another unit this one with a Onan generator . It has 60,000 miles 107,000 km . They want $ 19,000 firm . Owner bought it last fall and got sick ( 76 years old ) and said he is done camping .

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richardg40 wrote:

Now i am looking at a 2001 Roadtrek with dodge 318 with 80k kilometer/50k miles ,

It does not have a generator . I plan to do prob 35% boondocking /walmart sleeping .

How important is your built in generator in your class B ? Could i get away with a Honda 2000 generator on the back bumper

Here is my generator. I do not use it as much as I had thought. I camped 14 nights last summer and 13 was boondocking. Even as hot as it was, it was not bad at night as I used fans that run on rechargable batteries.
This will power my 7100 BTU air conditioner but nothing else. Read the reviews. Most are good but some people have not been satisfied. These are down to around $150 now! Keep your receipt. I got mine on CraigsList for $100. Love it!
Click here - Sportsman Portable Generator with 2000 Peak Watt

Here is mine on the cargo carrier:

Here is the generator:

See Picture In My Profile
1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

FaireCat

Pacific NorthWest

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You asked how important the built-in is? Ours is very important. But it depends on how you camp. We mostly wind up "way out" at Ren Faires (hence my handle), where there's no electricity, no water, no cell phone service, and even the UFOs only visit sporadically after a stiff night of drinking.

So for us, the generator is very important when the AC or heat is needed. (The heat doesn't technically require it, but the blower sucks down battery like pac-man on Pez.)

Our vacation trips have all been to places with hookups or in decent enough weather that boondocking without the power hasn't been a challenge.

It being -built-in- is a big deal. Press a button and it comes on. No fooling around with moving it, securing it, switching cables (I installed an ATS); it just works.

But... that's a pricey Onan that needs a smidge of care to keep happy. Your preferences will be different.

Cubey

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig has a 2.7k Onan generator and it has a switch by the breakers for roof AC *or* water heater (it's an electric RV water heater, not propane) so obviously the 2.7k (I assume that translates to 2700w) is only enough to power a roof AC, RV converter and maybe a couple other low draw things.. not the small water heater too.

I'm lucky I guess, my furnace isn't forced air so no electric needed to run it. The gen is mostly just needed for the roof AC and water heater.

Unfortunately, the generator is directly under the bed! Thankfully it does have a sofa up toward the front.. so I guess one could sleep on the sofa if the gen needs to be run over night.

1978 Dodge Xplorer (Class B motorhome)

I am open to chatting about traveling on a budget & boondocking/van dwelling/full timing related topics.
Add me on Skype: Cubey2600 - Mention this forum when you do.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After camping without one, my next RV purchase *will* have a built in Onan, preferably installed correctly with rubber vibration dampeners and with sound insulation on all sides but the bottom as per Onan's specs.

There have been too many times where the temperature is below freezing, and the furnace tears through my battery's charge forcing me to have to get out in the middle of the night. It isn't my idea of run to wake up, turn on the generator, let it warm up, hook up power, and then try to get back to sleep. Similar when the weather gets too muggy -- having to get dressed, go out in the rain, fire up the generator, dry off, and then go back to bed. Of course, there is the refueling aspect -- unless one has an extended run fuel tank, in hotter weather that requires the A/C to be run, one is refueling it every 8 or so hours. With a gasoline powered Onan, one can run a lot longer.

With an inbuilt genset, it isn't just the ease of flipping a power switch, but the newer Onan control panels (Energy Command 30) have some cool features, such as powering up the generator automatically if the house batteries get low, automatically starting/stopping the generator on a schedule, and respecting quiet hours. The advantage of this is that if one uses a vehicle on weekends, it can be set to fire up on low charge, then one can set the furnace at 40 degrees. This way, there is no worry about freezing damage when it is in use too often to bother winterizing thoroughly.

I also like keeping a 2000 watt inverter generator around as well. This way, if all the batteries (engine and house) are dead, I have some means of charging them up enough to get the inbuilt Onan running or get the RV's engine started.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Class B Generator Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS