|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Replacing tires on our RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Red Eagle

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased our 5er exactly 5 yrs ago. Have only used it on 17 trips and have approximately 9,000 miles on the tires. Have read previous posts suggesting replacing tires every 3-5 years regardless of their appearance. Other posts mention owners driving 4 to 5 years or longer with no tire problems. We have had no tire issues at all (Mission Radial ST 225/75 R15 tires) and I drive 65 mph or less. Would like advice from veteran RVers & knowledgeable tire folks. Already have a summer trip planned and hope to get away later this Spring for at least a short trip. Thanks in advance.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 years would be extreme. 5 years would be good maintenance. The key is to take care of them properly and inspect them regularly which you seem to be doing.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Chrisatthebeach

The beautiful low country of South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the date codes. 7 years or over time to go. I hated throwing away the four Wrangler LT 10 ply tires that were on mine but they were 8 years old and I was planning a couple of 1500 mile trips in the middle of summer, these tires did not even show any wear, however I did not want to be beside the interstate somewhere in the TN-KY mountains with a blowout. You have had your trailer 5 years, not sure how long before you bought it the build date was, or how long before that the tires were made. Look on the sidewall for four numbers stamped in the sidewall, example 4706 would indicate the tire was made in the 47th week of year 2006.
I also make it a point when purchasing or ordering new trailer tires to specify that the tires are not older than six months old, since they age out before they wear out. Learned that one the hard way after on the first trailer getting what I thought was a good deal on four out the door that I found out later had sat in the warehouse for 4 years.
Chris

Chris & Dianne plus two boys, both of them are Eagle Scouts.
Jayco Designer 3110
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure about tires on a trailer, but I'd keep the tires on our MH for 7-8 years before I think of replacing them.
Of course, they would be checked regularly those last few years......and it is stored out of direct sunlight, so that may help them last a bit longer.

Three years seems like a waste of money......and I think your miles are low enough that you have more to worry about with age than wear.

Unless you plan on a long trip, I'd wait another year.....but then again, I'm cheap

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would recommend you look at replacing them. Try not to buy any made in China. While they may look OK (little tire ware), they dry out and may have some sidewall ware you cannot see. Look on older tire threads to see what people recommend. Consider yourself lucky that you got 5 years out of them.

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

Supreme Oppressor

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most manufacturers will tell you that trailer tires age out before they wear out. Unless you have a misalignment, under inflation or road hazard issue, your tires follow happily along with the occasional braking action and see little wear. Heat and age are the killers. I heard the age could be pushed a little in cooler climates.

2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have personally dealt with Chinese manufacturers, though not of tires. IMHO the problems are three fold. First, if they can make it cheaper, they will. Reliability is not even considered. Secondly they have zero quality control. Therefore one batch will be great, the next run all garbage. Third is they pay as little as possible, so the turn over is huge. Very few if any experienced people on the production line.

Just my experience. Sorry, off my soapbox now. Hope I don't offend somebody here.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep mine until they wear out or get to be 7 years old. No problems except repairable nail punctures in over 200,000 miles.

HOWEVER

I do not use Chinese tires. I think Missions are made in China, so if they were on my TT, they would be replaced immediately with non-Chinese tires. Probably Maxxis.

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP stated he had Mission Tires and they are in fact made in China. He also stated he never exceeds 65mph. This is why his tires have not given him any problems.

The problems are not Chinese tires, but excessive speed and poor tire maintenance.

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck&Gail wrote:

I have personally dealt with Chinese manufacturers, though not of tires. IMHO the problems are three fold. First, if they can make it cheaper, they will. Reliability is not even considered. Secondly they have zero quality control. Therefore one batch will be great, the next run all garbage. Third is they pay as little as possible, so the turn over is huge. Very few if any experienced people on the production line.

Just my experience. Sorry, off my soapbox now. Hope I don't offend somebody here.

Food for thought. Many companies have the same quality control as their plants located elsewhere.

“We have same global quality standards around the world,” said Keith Price, a spokesman for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. “The standards are the same whether we make it in Oklahoma, Germany, Brazil, Indonesia, or China, the product standards are the same.”
Jim Smith, editor of Tire Review, a trade magazine, said he has seen this for himself.

“Michelin is very persnickety,” he said. “At the Chinese plant you couldn’t tell if you were in China or in South Carolina. The plant has the same controls, the same machines and the same uniforms on the workers.”

Just about all major tire manufacturers have plants in China. In addition-

Consumer Reports magazine tested 23 affordable all-season replacement tires, seven of them made in China, reported Gene Petersen, tire program leader for the magazine. Of those seven, six finished in the top half of the field, he noted.
They included tires from brands such as Toyo, Cooper, Pirelli, and Kumho. “Because these tires are being built with the companies whose names are on the tires, the same specifications that would apply to a tire made in the U.S. would apply to a tire made in China,” said Petersen.

Whatever your experience is in China, it's unfair to paint all the manufacturing industries there with a broad brush.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Replacing tires on our RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS