RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Are they preparing for something?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Are they preparing for something?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Capt Skup

Southern Maryland/Nantucket

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-immigr........as-450-million-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3

Capt Skup
AD-1(AW)USNRet.
Wonderful Wife,3 Daughters,2Goldens Gus&Riley

"Never get in a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

F-450 Lariat 4x4
Honda Odyssey EX-L
SunlineF281SR
SeaRay 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/CaptSkup?vhost=community

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like they are preparing for "something." That's enough rounds for a small war.

* This post was edited 03/30/12 11:24am by an administrator/moderator *

SRT
2000 32' HR Vacationer with Banks
1998 Subaru Outback Ltd. 5 spd
Brake Buddy & Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
FMCA #266040 HRRVC #84109

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess is their just stocking up. I was in law enforcement when the Iraq war started and all of the ammo manufacturers changed their lines and started making all military ammo and none of our ammo. The military can't use the same ammo law enforcement uses. Anyway, the end result was we nearly ran out of ammo and had a very difficult time getting replacement ammo. We had to put severe limits on our training because of this. All law enforcement agencies that can afford it now stock pile ammo when they get the chance.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe they will hit a few drug dealers with all that ammo. Seems to be a lot of dope moving between Mexico and Canada.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the contract is for "a maximum of 450 million rounds over five years", it looks like a pretty standard government bulk purchase price arrangement to me.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

450 Million rounds over 5 years of "optimum penetration for terminal performance" ammo.

Wonder how much of that hard hitting, penetrating, terminal performance ammo will be shot up for training.

Don't get me wrong......training is absolutely necessary, weapons firing/control is necessary, live fire training all necessary, special extreme measure ammo for LEO's necessary.
But, really does the high dollar ammo have to be used for training. It's so easy to waste ammo when somebody else (US) is paying for it.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

450 Million rounds over 5 years of "optimum penetration for terminal performance" ammo.

Wonder how much of that hard hitting, penetrating, terminal performance ammo will be shot up for training.

Don't get me wrong......training is absolutely necessary, weapons firing/control is necessary, live fire training all necessary, special extreme measure ammo for LEO's necessary.
But, really does the high dollar ammo have to be used for training. It's so easy to waste ammo when somebody else (US) is paying for it.

When I first started as a cop we used to shoot wad cutters for training. The problem was they didn't have the recoil of the regular ammo. So eventually it was decided to use the exact same ammo in training that we carried on the street. When we went to the range the first ammo you shot was what was already in the gun and on your belt. After range training you would load up with fresh ammo.

I don't see a price for this ammo, but I'd be willing to bet with as much as they have ordered, there is not a big price difference between this and cheaper ball ammo anyway. We used to buy .40 caliber ammo through the Federal Contract and the price was something around $5 for a box of 50. The exact same ammo at the local gun shop was close to $25 a box.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you check the companies website in the link, the term "optimum penetration for terminal performance" comes off the website. Does that mean it's the Cadiallac of ammo and is gold plated or something? I don't think so. It's just typical advertising. Other than the reasons I already listed, there is also an advantage to only having one type of ammunition for training and for duty. It's just all around easier to manage in the volume we're talking and in the event something really bad does happen and they need lots of real duty ammo, then they do have it.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^^The last cheap target .40's I bought were 35cents each. I wonder what we are paying per round for the good stuff

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

When I first started as a cop we used to shoot wad cutters for training. The problem was they didn't have the recoil of the regular ammo. So eventually it was decided to use the exact same ammo in training that we carried on the street. When we went to the range the first ammo you shot was what was already in the gun and on your belt. After range training you would load up with fresh ammo.

I don't see a price for this ammo, but I'd be willing to bet with as much as they have ordered, there is not a big price difference between this and cheaper ball ammo anyway. We used to buy .40 caliber ammo through the Federal Contract and the price was something around $5 for a box of 50. The exact same ammo at the local gun shop was close to $25 a box.

Oh I understand and support the need for training. And when buying in large quantities as Federal Contracts price per box will be cheaper than retail......
I just hate to think about all the rounds of "optimum penetration for terminal performance" ammo being shot up at targets etc.
Especially when somebody else is buying it.

I shot Cowboy Action Shooting for years........reloaded my own due to retail. But because I was paying for it I was real conscious of the cost. And when ammo was supplied I saw how fast that ammo was shot up too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Are they preparing for something?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS