|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT vs 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dlkc

Crosby,Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife and I are in shopping mode and while trying to decide between fiberglass or aluminum exterior I find myself also wondeIring if we shouldn't be looking at 5th wheels instead of travel trailers.
We are looking for a ~30-34' bunkhouse model with an outdoor kitchen and real doors seperating the rooms.
We currently own a 26' bunkhouse w/no slide and need something a lil bigger.

The tow rig is a 2011 F-250. Diesel

So, what are the pros and cons of each that would lead one to purchase one over the other?
My current thoughts on going TT is I wouldn't HAVE to own a big truck if I didn't want too. (like would be necessary with 5er)

Ps, I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death, I looked around and didn't see a direct comparison.
Thanks for the help!

2011 Ford F-250 4x4 Crew 6.7l w. Bags & B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Satrcraft 278 BHS
2009 Polaris Ranger

josten367

Columbia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that there are several pro's and con's with a TT and 5th wheel. We have a 5th wheel and never owned a TT. I never did like towing anything with a hitch. To me I feel better with a good 5th wheel connected in the bed of the truck.
I didn't like the sway bars and all the connection stuff for the hitch. Plus I have seen to many accidents with hitches. I think there is a good example that someone post last year. Just go to Utube and you will fine one. 5th wheel will allow you to have more room and slides, in my opintion. We have had our bunkhouse with outdoor kitchen and won't go with anything else. Keeps us outside enjoying the outdoors and not inside.
You have plenty of truck with you and should be able to out pull most gassers, I know I have a gasser but it works for me. Just watch your weight limits and your gear and you will be fine.

2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More folks that full time pick the 5th wheels simply because it has bigger interior volume, more storage, is equipped with more under floor storage and commonly handles better in the wind and when passed by a big rig at 65 mph.

A 5th wheel has a shorter over all length (from the rear 5er bumper to the rear bumper of the truck) than a travel trailer simply because around 4 or 5 feet of the 5er hangs over the Truck bed!

You've got a great towing vehicle...and it will tow your 5th wheel as well as any TT that happens to come later.

As far as Aluminum vs Fiberglass we've had both, and our aluminum sided Jayco 5er is now 7 years old and still looks new. Smooth sided filon looks better in my opinion, however can be subject to delamination issues sometimes if not very well maintained.

Jayco has 2 that fit what you are looking for...The Eagle Super Lite 30.5 BHLT @ 34'9" with a loft for the kids, outside kitchen and the Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 BHS @ 31' 5" both have real doors to both bedrooms, totally seperate bedrooms, and come loaded and have 2 year warranties. Check out KZ RV's, Cougar, Crossroads and Heartland too.

Good luck!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlkc wrote:

The wife and I are in shopping mode and while trying to decide between fiberglass or aluminum exterior I find myself also wondeIring if we shouldn't be looking at 5th wheels instead of travel trailers.
We are looking for a ~30-34' bunkhouse model with an outdoor kitchen and real doors seperating the rooms.
We currently own a 26' bunkhouse w/no slide and need something a lil bigger.

The tow rig is a 2011 F-250. Diesel

So, what are the pros and cons of each that would lead one to purchase one over the other?
My current thoughts on going TT is I wouldn't HAVE to own a big truck if I didn't want too. (like would be necessary with 5er)

Ps, I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death, I looked around and didn't see a direct comparison.
Thanks for the help!

Don't know the tow ratings on the 11' F250, but you'll need to think about the pin weight of the 5er ...make sure you use the 5er's GVW, not a useless "empty" or "dry" weight. The 3/4 ton will be limited as to size of a 5er it'll be able to tow...pin weight can catch up with you depending on what your looking at.

Your right about not needing a "bigger truck" to tow the TT, but again, you can tow quite a few 5er's with your truck, just need to do the math.

I I think fiberglass or filon siding is 10 times easier to clean than the aluminum siding. I've had both and cleaned both, so I'm speaking from my own experience on this one.

rest is up to you...believe you have more "storage area" in the 5er...We've had both and prefer the 5er, but again, that's just the wife and my preference.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've owned TTs in the past and now own a 5th wheel. To be honest there isn't much difference between the two. Some say the 5th wheel is more maneuverable but in reality how often will that make a difference. Most camp sites are setup for a variety of RVs so it is rare where you'll see a big difference in being able to get in or out of a site.

Space is about the same and in fact a TT maybe better because everything is on one level. No stairs to get up into the bathroom/bedroom like in a 5th wheel.

Storage maybe a little better in a 5th wheel but in a TT you have the whole pickup bed to carry stuff in. Add a campershell and you have even more space.

At the time we bought our 5th wheel they were just adding small slides to TT. We were looking at a TT with a slide and the 5th wheel we decided upon. The TT was 30ft and the 5th wheel is 37ft. I wanted the 30ft and the DW won with the 5th wheel. I'm glad she won because the extra 7 feet turns out to be a lot of extra room.

The trailer doesn't feel so small when you've been couped up in it for a week due to bad weather. That extra 56 square feet really helps stave off cabin fever.

I would go with fiberglass. I've seen a lot of hail damage on aluminum siding but none on fiberglass siding.

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After towing both a TT and fivers, I perfer the fiver.
More room, easier pull.
The aluminum vs fiberglass is a subjective choice, though fiberglass seems to be more popular on the fivers.
Here's a fiver that might fit your needs. Your F-250 should be able to handle it and it is a well built unit:
Palomino Sabre 32BHOK
Good luck with your decision.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us the stairs in the 5er make it a no go. Wife has trouble with stairs, and we've had several furchildren who had trouble with stairs. Inside stairs, nope, not for us thanks.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned two TT's and considered a 5th wheel but the fiver is a much bigger and heavier unit that will also cost more and didn't fit my needs. Both have pros and cons which have been discussed many times here on tis forum. If you have never towed anything large before it can be intimidating. Many people feel that TT's are harder to pull and control but the correct equipment set up properly makes a TT very easy to tow and I prefer the way a TT turns when backing up.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Weazletoe

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went from a TT to a fiver. Swore I never would, for one reason only. You lose pretty much the entire bed of your truck. Now, when i Ger a four wheeler next year, I'm gonna have to drag that being the fifth, instead of just putting it in the bed. That's the only drawback for me.

TV- 1990 Chevy 3500, 454, 3 speed, 4x4
5er - 1991 Prowler, 25ft

dlkc

Crosby,Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great responses everybody, they are all greatly appreciated.
thanks for the help.

Decisions, decisions.

I also have a Polaris Ranger that would be legal to pull behind the 5er (in Texas), but not behind a TT.
But that would only be handy to do once a year, but not completely necessary.

The added cost of and right hitch for a fifth is another thing I'm considering in my decision.
My primary dis on a fifth was having that clunky chunk of metal in the bed of my truck when not in use. I load my bed down fairly often and don't really want to deal with the hitch- but I watched my buddy leave his hooked to his fiver and pull out- so I guess that's always an option.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT vs 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS