|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT vs 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tdeal823

N.W. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

After towing both a TT and fivers, I perfer the fiver.
More room, easier pull.
The aluminum vs fiberglass is a subjective choice, though fiberglass seems to be more popular on the fivers.
Here's a fiver that might fit your needs. Your F-250 should be able to handle it and it is a well built unit:
Palomino Sabre 32BHOK
Good luck with your decision.

Thays what we have. (sabre 32bhok) Love it. We had a TT before that and loved it. it was light and pulled well. However the 5er pulls ssssoooo much better. and a ton more room for storage.

2008 Silverado 2500HD DMax LTZ cc sb 4x4 EFILive tuned, Blocked, Deleted, Rerouted and removed B&W Turnover ball and 5th Companion
02 F250 4x4 Auto Ex LWB SRW 7.3L B&W, RideRite, 5"exhaust. TW6 chip. 195k
2011 Sabre 32BHOK-6

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlkc wrote:

The wife and I are in shopping mode and while trying to decide between fiberglass or aluminum exterior I find myself also wondeIring if we shouldn't be looking at 5th wheels instead of travel trailers.
We are looking for a ~30-34' bunkhouse model with an outdoor kitchen and real doors seperating the rooms.
We currently own a 26' bunkhouse w/no slide and need something a lil bigger.

The tow rig is a 2011 F-250. Diesel

So, what are the pros and cons of each that would lead one to purchase one over the other?
My current thoughts on going TT is I wouldn't HAVE to own a big truck if I didn't want too. (like would be necessary with 5er)

Ps, I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death, I looked around and didn't see a direct comparison.
Thanks for the help!

If I had your tow vehicle, I'd go with the 5er.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a TT before 5er. You know the benefits of the TT. It's great having truck bed for stuff. We had a Hensley hitch so the normal issues with TT towing didn't apply in our case.

Get figerglass exterior. Much easier to keep clean.

Camping Family
Me, Mom, 3 Boyz & Toyz
2004 GMC 2500HD D/A CC
2005 Ameri-Camp 321QBS

JohnBoyToo

DFW, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A word of caution...
don't just consider your total weight GCWR, GVW, etc...
your 250 probably has a GAWR on the rear that will be the limiting factor on a 5'er...
with a tt and a good wd hitch you can transfer weight to the front axle, but with a 5er, you can't... (or at least I haven't found a way to do it yet)

my nice 2012 250 4x4 10k gvwr and my 38 foot 5'er are both great, and I am under the gcwr, but my rear axle is limited to 6100 lbs and the cat scales say I have 7000 on the rear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am heartbroken that I can't use the 200 sq ft of belly storage I have up front or else I would be overweight more !!!

I am open to suggestion on how to resolve this !

dlkc

Crosby,Tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohnBoyToo wrote:

A word of caution...
don't just consider your total weight GCWR, GVW, etc...
your 250 probably has a GAWR on the rear that will be the limiting factor on a 5'er...
with a tt and a good wd hitch you can transfer weight to the front axle, but with a 5er, you can't... (or at least I haven't found a way to do it yet)

my nice 2012 250 4x4 10k gvwr and my 38 foot 5'er are both great, and I am under the gcwr, but my rear axle is limited to 6100 lbs and the cat scales say I have 7000 on the rear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am heartbroken that I can't use the 200 sq ft of belly storage I have up front or else I would be overweight more !!!

I am open to suggestion on how to resolve this !

Why are you sweating it?
Are you Traveling over state lines into other states that check it?
I know folks who travel all over well over the sticker weights with no worries. (Not advocating, just curious as to your concern).

Since starting this thread we've picked out a 1/2 ton towable 5er with a 1400# dry pin weight so we should be good to go. (I hope it isn't too light). I plan on going B&W gooseneck with a companion hitch.

2011 Ford F-250 4x4 Crew 6.7l w. Bags & B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Satrcraft 278 BHS
2009 Polaris Ranger

tdeal823

N.W. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be very happy with the B&W setup. It is an awesome hitch.

As for pulling, Do what you are comfortable with. I have been in texas and them boys pull some serious weight with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. I have done it to. not often. but if you are planning on going long distances I would do what you can to stay with in reason of your trucks capasities.

I have an 08 2500HD air bags and the B&W setup. love it. my trailer fully loaded is about 13000 lbs and about 2200 lbs of pin weight. then I add 2 adults and 2 kids and a bunch of fire wood to the truck. I would assume we are close or beyond the spec. of our truck. I have never had a problem with the weight or been questioned about the weight. The truck pulls great and handels the load very well.

As for trailers. Its tough to find the perfect trailer. However I will say as your dry weight and pin weight goes up so does the build quality of the trailer.
a 35' 5th that weights 6500lbs dry has less material and a lighter frame than...
a 35' 5th that weights 9500lbs dry

Hope that makes sence.
Good luck

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I have both a TT and a fiver right now. The TT is 29' 3" stem to stern and the fiver is 32'. The fiver handles better in the wind and rides a little smoother -- but then again it has shocks on it. The overall hitched length of the TT is longer, but it is much easier to back up. The TT is over 3000 pounds lighter. In tow haul mode, I am usually in one higher gear with the TT than with the fiver. With the fiver, I have a lot more places in the trailer to stash things, but I lose a lot of space in the bed of my pickup.

One of the things I was not able to do with the fiver is take my wheel barrow (of course everyone takes that camping with them) -- but with the TT I will be able to. But I had to buy an extra little underbed toolbox for the second Honda 2000 to ride in with the TT (the first can ride in the regular toolboxes along with my 150 pound toolbox). The two spare 30 pound propane tanks and the 20 pound propane tank for the grill have to ride in the bed when using the TT, but rode in the fiver. One of the things I need to do is get me a grill that I can hook to that connector on the side of the TT so I can eliminate the 20 pounder.

ERS

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck&Gail wrote:

For us the stairs in the 5er make it a no go. Wife has trouble with stairs, and we've had several furchildren who had trouble with stairs. Inside stairs, nope, not for us thanks.

Same here, except it is me with the stair thingy not the DW.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

doublenot7

Clear Lake, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with the trailer vs the 5th for two reasons: original TV was a 1/2 ton; I need the storage of the bed with a lockable cover for daily use (haven't met a roll up cover II liked yet).

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5ers turn tighter, but other then a U turn, that is a con, not a plus. The 5er only turns when the rear axle moves, which makes it slugish at low speeds, and because it pivots over the axle, it wants to cut to the inside of turns pretty bad. A TT mounts behind the axle (several feet), which means it reacts faster, (the hitch ball starts moving sideways sooner, and faster then a 5er hitch). The ball also moves the opposite direction when you (start to) turn, which tends to make the trailer turn wider.
At my FIL's house, he has a bunch of trees I have to thread the trailer through, the TT was barely able to fit, the 5er can't even get from the street to the driveway without cutting a tree down.
On the freeway a 5er (other then chucking) wins hands down on everything over a TT. I have yet to find (bought parts this week, have yet to test them out) a cure for it.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT vs 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS