|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Shortest Bunkhouse w/ Queen Bed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Massey16

West Salem, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All!

My family is new to camping with a travel trailer. We were fortunate enough to have family friends let us use their permanent camper last fall to give it a try. We had a great time and are now looking to purchase our own.

It's me, my wife, our 2 yr old daughter, and our giant dog. Our tow vehicle will be a 2005 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 Hemi.

Based on the set up we would like and the size of our tow vehicle, we have figured out that a short bunkhouse model would work out great. A slide would be nice, but not a necessity. Also, we're looking for used.

What do you all suggest? Thanks!

we_the_unforgiven

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out a Springdale 210BHLWE.
http://www.keystone-springdale.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=west&model=210BHLWE

Northeast Montana
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Keystone Springdale 260TBL

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passport 2650BH is a great lightweight dual bunkhouse with deep slide.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

Exocet

Central NY, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Rockwood 1905 or 2306 are two of the smallest that I know of. No slides, though.

2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab, 4x4
Long Bed, Big Tow, Roadmaster Active Suspension

2009 Spree 318BHS
Reese Strait-Line 1200#
Tekonsha Prodigy

M*A*S*H

N IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking for older (relatively speaking) used models that should be in towing spec for your truck you could take a look at the Trail Lite 8300. We have a 2000 model and it works great for us! Triple bunk in the back too... Not exactly short though. Think it's right at 30'

2003 Excursion 6.0
2000 Trail Lite 8300

pappcam

Saskatchewan, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out some of the models with the rear slide where the bed is. They travel at a 22 or so length but extend to 27 or 28 feet when set up.

Something like:

THIS

2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Massey16

West Salem, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I haven't heard the greatest things about the rear slides and they seem to be somewhat hard to find.

The Passport 2650BH looks great! Has that been out for a while so I'll be able to find a used one?

Also, Eric, I noticed you were pulling a 30' camper with your Expedition. Do you have any issues with that? The reason I ask is because I think the Expedition is very similar in size to my Durango. I think the towing capacity of my Durango is 7800 lbs.

MASH, the Trail Lite 8300 also looks like a decent option and its more in line in the price range I'd like to be in. Again, I need advice on length.

Thanks again everyone and keep the advice coming!

DHCamper

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The CrossRoads Slingshot GT25bh weighs only 3800 pounds. That gives you a lot of slack for additional weight without the fabric. Pretty spacious for not having a slide!

QCMan

Grand Strand

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum and RV'ing! You might want to look at the rear slides again. They are no more problem than a side slide. The unit in my sig. is a great small bunkhouse that trailers ar 22 and opens to a 27. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes to set up if you are taking it slow. We have almost 20k miles and 184 nights in it and there have been no problems other than normal upkeep. It pulls well with my Dakota as the unloaded weight is about 4800 pounds and as loaded as we can get it for a cross country trip it is just under 6k. The reason that rear slides are hard to find used is that they work well and trailer well. Who would want to give that up? Outback makes the same unit (actually, Starcraft seems to have stolen the design early on) in exactly the same configuration. I believe Coachmen has a very similar layout. Good luck and happy camping.

2004 Starcraft Aruba 25RS, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT extended cab. Just the two of us, a Jack and a desire to roam!

M*A*S*H

N IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having just hunted down a used bunk model, it may be easier to find the bunk models available and then see if it fits in your requirements.

www.searchtempest.com is a good search engine for checking all craigslist listings within a set amount of miles from you.

IE: this link should be all listings with "bunk" in the listing in recreational vehicles, under $10000 within 200 miles of you.
CLICK HERE FOR SEARCH

That seems to find most of the private sale ones then searching dealer websites can usually find you what you want. Just google the model with the term weight specs will usually find you the specs on weight and length.

With just the one child any bunk model should be good for you. I'd consider the rear slides too. We really liked the kz 2505 but with all our kids taking the storage by the bunks it didn't leave us much space for ourselves. I noticed a rear slide model in the milwaukee craigslist that was two bunk beds on each side as well as the queen slide. They removed two bunks though. That may be a good spot for a dog bed for you!

We love our Trail Lite so far though! We generally have us, 3 kids and a 50lb dog. No slide for us at this time...

Depending on your budget you can get a new basic bunk model for 12 -13k also...

Do you have the tow package on the Durango? That will affect your tow rating. If you are unsure on the specs of the truck people on this forum can walk you through it. I may even have a spreadsheet to help you calculate off the GCWR...

As far as the length that you can tow I have seen A LOT of debate on that. Don't know that you will get a black and white answer on that. Do you have much experience towing or is this going to be a new experience for you?

* This post was last edited 03/31/12 09:11am by M*A*S*H *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Shortest Bunkhouse w/ Queen Bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS