|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Shortest Bunkhouse w/ Queen Bed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Massey16 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I haven't heard the greatest things about the rear slides and they seem to be somewhat hard to find.

The Passport 2650BH looks great! Has that been out for a while so I'll be able to find a used one?

Also, Eric, I noticed you were pulling a 30' camper with your Expedition. Do you have any issues with that? The reason I ask is because I think the Expedition is very similar in size to my Durango. I think the towing capacity of my Durango is 7800 lbs.

MASH, the Trail Lite 8300 also looks like a decent option and its more in line in the price range I'd like to be in. Again, I need advice on length.

Thanks again everyone and keep the advice coming!

The later model Durango on the Ram frame is very similar to my Expedition. It's on an F150 frame but has independent rear suspension.

I would have issues pulling it without a very good weight distribution hitch with sway control. I use the Reese StraitLine/Dual Cam hitch.

I think the 2650BH started in 2010. There could be some used ones out there. If the 2650BH would have been around in 2009 we probably would have bought it. The Passport 280BH used would be a good option too a little longer for certain.

Power won't be your problem with the Durango. It will be payload (like all 1/2 ton SUVs) and short wheelbase.. Find the payload sticker in the door jamb and look over the numbers.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

Massey16

West Salem, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MASH - Thanks for all of the advice. I have a feeling that I'll have to continue to search and then match it to see if the Durango can tow it. I grew up on a farm, so I've got plenty of experience towing. It may come down to finding a camper that will fit our needs (space & towing) and we can afford.

Eric - It's the second generation Durango, so I think it is what you are talking about. Sounds like the hitch you use would set me up as well. Did you do a lot of research to find the best hitch for your application?

The Durango didn't come with a tow package, but I added a receiver hitch and light hook up. It came with a power steering and trans cooler. So, the only things I would still need to add would be a trailer brake controller and larger mirrors.

Again, it looks like I may have to search until I find something that will just work for us all around. When is the best time to find a used camper? I was hoping this spring as people try to switch up or sell what they have to get out of camping.

Kevin O.

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Massey16 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I haven't heard the greatest things about the rear slides and they seem to be somewhat hard to find.

The Passport 2650BH looks great! Has that been out for a while so I'll be able to find a used one?

Also, Eric, I noticed you were pulling a 30' camper with your Expedition. Do you have any issues with that? The reason I ask is because I think the Expedition is very similar in size to my Durango. I think the towing capacity of my Durango is 7800 lbs.

MASH, the Trail Lite 8300 also looks like a decent option and its more in line in the price range I'd like to be in. Again, I need advice on length.

Thanks again everyone and keep the advice coming!
Check out Holman Rv in Ohio! They have the 2650bh with the new graphics and aluminum wheels. They had the best prices around when i was looking at the Passports!

KEVIN
DW-Debbie
DS-Tyler 9yrs old
DD-Makayla 6yrs old
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH

Massey16

West Salem, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any one know of sites other than craigslist to search for used campers on? A brand new one just isn't in the budget.

steeleshark

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.rvtrader.com/

2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

Nosedive

Pearland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might also want to check the Gulf Stream RV Visa 23 BHD. I have no experience with them but they fit what your looking for.

Massey16

West Salem, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody have an opinion on this?

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/rvs/2935769526.html

I emailed for pics, but haven't heard back yet. Anybody have pictures of something similar or know the floor plan?

steeleshark

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Massey16 wrote:

Anybody have an opinion on this?

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/rvs/2935769526.html

I emailed for pics, but haven't heard back yet. Anybody have pictures of something similar or know the floor plan?

Always worth a try. Just make sure you educate yourself on things to look for when looking at rv condition.

nick_hoff

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did about 3 months worth of research and almost daily searching on the internet until I found our KZ Sportsmen 2505. If you want a rear slide with quad bunks here are some models to look for. KZ Frontier 2505, KZ Sportsmen 2505, KZ Jag 25Q, Outback 26RS, Coachman Velocity 26RS, Keystone Hornet 24RSL, Rockwood Roo 26RS, Forest River Shamrock 26RS, Fleetwood Resort 25SB, Starcraft Aruba 26RS. These are about the same floorplan. Some have fiberglass exterior some do not. They range in weight between GVWR 5000 to 6440.

This one is a trip bunk with rear slide, Pilgrim International Cirrus 24CRSTB.

Yours truly,

Camper_man
Spearfish, SD

Massey16

West Salem, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this doesn't have a queen bed like I was looking for, but it looks like it would work for us:

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/rvs/2940321949.html

Is the price reasonable? Really interested because it is so close to us. Thanks!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Shortest Bunkhouse w/ Queen Bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS