|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> First tow after A LOT of improvements

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted on here back in January that I sold my 3500 dually diesel with a 6 speed and I bought my current rig in my sig. Truck was stock as a rock and not fun to drive. After the first test tow with it, I thought I took a year off my life.

Fast forward a few months. I have been busy.

Improvements included:

Roadmaster Active Suspension
Hellwig rear sway bar
Ford F250 springs V codes up front and modded B codes in the rear
Isspro gauges
4" stainless exhaust
6637 intake system
Custom tunes by Jody at DP tuners
A used/rebuilt Hensley Arrow hitch

All I can say is each modification I did made some type of improvement. Some more than others but each compliments the others nicely.

Today, I finally got my rebuilt Hensley mounted and took our trailer for a test tow.

Due to fact that my driveway slopes to the street and the street slops to the driveway the angle of the stinger caused me a little headache hitching up but eventually we got it hitched up. I adjusted the torsion controls and off I went.

I live about 3.5 miles away from the closest "interstate" and cruised at 55 mph with no problems. On the on ramp I stopped on th eshoulder and checked all my fittings again. Since all was good, I jumped on the interstate right to 65 mph. Steady as a rock. We had some pretty decent wind gusts today and they were hitting me right on the side. Absolutely no problems/sway. Movement of the trailer in the rearview mirror is different. Not bad, just different. Wherever I went the trailer followed in a perfect straight line. No problems.

It was a short drive (about 15-20 miles total) because I don't like wasting $4.00 gallon diesel for no reason but all I can say is I am very happy.

I am happy that I picked the Excursion as our family vehicle and tow vehicle. I know it came with some problems but with some improvements, it has became an excellent tow vehicle.

I want to say thanks for all the people that log on here as often that I do and that have postive and good information to provide. To all the people that bash and troll... blankety blank, blank. This website and its members has helped me alot over the years and I want to give them credit for assisting me.

Now with a very capable tow rig, a wonderful towing performance, and six new Maxxis tires, I am ready for camping.

Procrastinator

2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel

1984 Avion 34W triple axle no slide

Husband, wife, a boy, a girl, and two great danes.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good list of modifications there.

I'm surprised you needed the Roadmaster helper springs, considering you replaced the stock rear springs with 'modded' F250 springs. What modifications did you to do the F250 rear springs?

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Took a year off my life" LOL. that is exatly how I felt after the first tow with mine! not towing the X was wandering badly and towing with it was downright scarry!!! I installed air bags first as I had those from my previous truck, not much help. then I installed a Hellwig rear sway bar, this single addition made the X tow and drive like it was meant too. I was at the point originally where I was going to trade it if I couldn`t make it drive safe. the truck now actually feels like a Go-Kart......an 8000lb Go-Cart, but a much more fun drive none the less. the only other modification I did was to swap from 3.73`s to 4.30`s. this was another night and day modification, woke the V-10 up big time. I almost wish I would have gone to a 4.56.

Glad everything is working out for you. enjoy towing with it.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

I'm surprised you needed the Roadmaster helper springs, considering you replaced the stock rear springs with 'modded' F250 springs. What modifications did you to do the F250 rear springs?

B spring mod is a term used by Ex owners. The original springs had a band aid of a slapper bar added to them. When doing a mod B spring swap you take the two lower springs and the spacers from you old spring pack and put them on the new spring pack. Presto modded spring. This helps so you don't have to get an new spacer block (cheap), and it adds just a little spring to the capacity.

Procrastinator

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Procrastinator wrote:

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

B spring mod is a term used by Ex owners. The original springs had a band aid of a slapper bar added to them. When doing a mod B spring swap you take the two lower springs and the spacers from you old spring pack and put them on the new spring pack. Presto modded spring. This helps so you don't have to get an new spacer block (cheap), and it adds just a little spring to the capacity.

Procrastinator
So you're saying you added 2 leafs (which came from the bottom of your Excursion's original rear spring pack) to the bottom of the new F250 spring pack? Did you retain the F250 spring pack's bottom overload leaf, or did you eliminate that?

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Procrastinator wrote:

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Procrastinator
So you're saying you added 2 leafs (which came from the bottom of your Excursion's original rear spring pack) to the bottom of the new F250 spring pack? Did you retain the F250 spring pack's bottom overload leaf, or did you eliminate that?

No its still there but it kinda becomes not needed more of a spacer

Procrastinator

jims1

tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a Ford guy, but when you get the tow vehicle and camper to do what you want it makes a much more enjoyable trip.
Shocks, springrates, a little extra torque and power, a good hitch set up, can do wonders.
I just got my Dodge retuned with EFI Live, it still makes me smile when I roll into it.

'06 Ram with a Cummins
'09 36MAX1 Carrilite
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Slowmover

Corpus Christi, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pleased for you that it is all coming together!

The irony of a TT far more capable than the TV. Glad you've brought them into closer compliance.

Now, not that a tridem AVION needs much, but a TT of that age . . . have you gone through the TT suspension as thoroughly as the TV? The TT's I've had are of a similar type/age (though different suspension) and breaking them apart to inspect, re-weld attachment points and replace shock absorbers (beyond alignment and wheel balance) has always been a help. Can't always feel it at the wheel, but temp checks and tire wear tell the tale. The Adjust-A-Glide suspension is patented, unique, etc, but age and unknown miles would have me concerned.

Worst part of the H/A hitch for me has always been getting the trailer perfectly centered as strut adjustment is never mirror-image.

Any pics of this rig online we could view?

Thanks.

* This post was edited 04/01/12 03:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'68Monaco440HP wrote:

Pleased for you that it is all coming together!

The irony of a TT far more capable than the TV. Glad you've brought them into closer compliance.

Now, not that a tridem AVION needs much, but a TT of that age . . . have you gone through the TT suspension as thoroughly as the TV? The TT's I've had are of a similar type/age (though different suspension) and breaking them apart to inspect, re-weld attachment points and replace shock absorbers (beyond alignment and wheel balance) has always been a help. Can't always feel it at the wheel, but temp checks and tire wear tell the tale. The Adjust-A-Glide suspension is patented, unique, etc, but age and unknown miles would have me concerned.

Worst part of the H/A hitch for me has always been getting the trailer perfectly centered as strut adjustment is never mirror-image.

Any pics of this rig online we could view?

Thanks.

We still have some things to knock out inside the trailer this season. The brakes and bearings had just been done before we got it. I might try an inspection on the brakes and bearings this season, I am just not sure yet. When I do that I will probably replace the shocks and grease the wet bolts too.

As for pics, actually I don't have any yet. I will get that fixed shortly. Was going to try to post some pics here the other day, but I know there is a size limit and I couldn't find what the limit was.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 01:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pic size limit is 480x640. Just type '640' in the 'width' box in the pick post pop-up box and the pic will automatically re-size when it posts.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> First tow after A LOT of improvements
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS