|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Extended Service Plan

> Why Keep Coverage for Several Years

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we've had GS Extended Service coverage on two different campers for the last 10 years .... our current '05 5er has been covered since '06 .... during that time we've found that at times it can be difficult to find a repair facility willing to honor the coverage .... the reason consistently given is difficulty jumping through the hoops necessary to have a claim approved .... eventually, we did find a local dealership that will honor the coverage .... our main issue now is by the terms of the coverage they will pay for the repair of covered items but as years pass, repair parts aren't available for many of them .... we are beginning to wonder if it is worthwhile to keep the coverage

Jim

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

GrandmaLee

Minooka, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for postng this...I am still hemming and hawing about whether to join.....you are making me think twice.

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

If you are personally questioning the value of this type of limited insurance coverage then that may be your answer to the question that you ask. ..

you are probably right .... my reason for questioning the wisdom of us continuing to participate in the plan is they will only pay to repair a covered item .... that is perfectly OK and, in fact, is the way it should be IF there are repair parts available .... when there are no parts available the item can't be fixed and must be replaced .... unfortunately, that is where their coverage leaves one completely on their own as if they had no coverage at all

Jim

tallyo

Fort Myers,Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was all the hoops and attempts by their claims people to deny coverages that made me leave after 7 years on 2 MH"S. I even contacted Good Sam and all the response was "since we did pay the claims all must be good". But for me, if that is the way they feel about it and don't seem to care about customer service then they lose me as a customer,never to use them again and tell all I can about their very discourteous claims people.

Tallyo
2012 Phaeton 40 QBH
Freightliner, 6 spd Allison
2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT w/ Brake Buddy Vantage
Drinks-6, Eats-4, Sleeps-2
Semper Fi

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JEBar wrote:

we've had GS Extended Service coverage on two different campers for the last 10 years .... our current '05 5er has been covered since '06 .... during that time we've found that at times it can be difficult to find a repair facility willing to honor the coverage .... the reason consistently given is difficulty jumping through the hoops necessary to have a claim approved .... eventually, we did find a local dealership that will honor the coverage .... our main issue now is by the terms of the coverage they will pay for the repair of covered items but as years pass, repair parts aren't available for many of them .... we are beginning to wonder if it is worthwhile to keep the coverage

Jim

Jim this is why many do not buy this kind of insurance. Some like it so there is a market for it. For the DIY types it can be a pain in the butt vs just fixing it with the money you pay the insurance companies.

If you are personally questioning the value of this type of limited insurance coverage then that may be your answer to the question that you ask.

Gambling is not risk free but you know the HOUSE (insurance company selling extended coverage) work to have the odds in their favor.

I know people (very smart/sucessful business people) who will buy extended coverage on most everything they own but they would struggle with finding/replacing a blown fuse.

Scott Blanc

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,

We do require repair facilities to contact us prior to making repairs so that we can authorize the claim and then pay the shop directly. You should know about one of our newest benefits- we now have the world's largest RV repair network databases with over 10,000 businesses listed along with their repair capabilities. We also have established "Preferred Providers" that are willing to stand behind their work and accept payment directly from Good Sam.

To use this new benefit, you simply call the claims number on your ID card and let them know where you are and what needs to be repaired. We can then direct you to the best qualified repair facility in your area.

Scott Blanc
Vice President and General Manager
Good Sam Continued Service Plan
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott Blanc wrote:

The policy of the Good Sam Extended Service Plan is to repair rather than replace when possible and replace the component when it is not reparable. This keeps the cost of coverage down for everyone.

If you believe that this was not a fair approach in your case please contact me directly and I will review the claim.

as noted, I understand and agree with a fix it first policy, that is the only thing that makes sense .... our issue was with a factory installed dryer that was installed when the camper was built with back in October '05 .... when it experienced a motor/gearbox failure the dealership doing the repairs found that the needed part was no longer available the contacted GoodSam and were told a replacement was not provided for in our coverage .... rather than cause a fuss, we bought a new dryer .... it was over a year ago and we actually later renewed our coverage .... thank your for you clarification of policy, it will be taken into strong consideration when we are due to renew again in September

Jim

juzcruzin

Dayton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to buy a Used Motor Home and would like to know what is the oldest Year that I could still get coverage for example
2012 - 2010
2010 - 2005
etc,

Scott Blanc

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The policy of the Good Sam Extended Service Plan is to repair rather than replace when possible and replace the component when it is not reparable. This keeps the cost of coverage down for everyone.

If you believe that this was not a fair approach in your case please contact me directly and I will review the claim.

jc2838

Pahrump, Nevada today

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid $4812.00 for my Continued Service Plan back in '06 for a brand new motorhome. I had to use it the last two years for repairs on my washing machine, a motor for the awning over the door, and lately, a refrigerator cooling unit. The ammonia leaked out of the cooling unit while we were driving down the road. Overall, the plan has paid all the charges minus the deductible.

My only problem was with the refrigerator cooling unit. When the repair shop called for approval of charges, they were told that the CSP plan would only cover a refurbished cooling unit. We were advised "not to put in a refurbished cooling unit because they fail", not by one repair shop, but three. We made the decision to pay the difference of $1100.00 for the new cooling unit. The new unit cost was $1627.00. The CSP plan did pay for the analysis, labor, and the cost of a refurbished cooling unit. My CSP is coming up for renewal in June of the this year and I will need to make a decision if it is worth what I paid.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Extended Service Plan

> Why Keep Coverage for Several Years
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS