|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> awning fabric replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DAVES 2500HD

sandwich Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, all I have a A&E sunchaser 2 awning (16ft.) tha I need to replace. I would like to do this myself but the removal/install steps about the end caps and releasing the spring tension seem very confusing? I have down loaded the info from A&E but still think this job is going to be a pain as I have not dealt these tension cap before. I really want to do this myself to save some$$$$$ and would like to hear from some who have done it themselves and maybe some pics would be great Thanks Dave

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had ours replaced by a RV repair shop and it took three guys and scaffolding to stand on to do it. I don't think it is a DIY project.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Jackthewonderdog

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really that dificult. Two people can do it. After removing the screws holding the end caps, the spring will unwind itself. The fabric slides out quite easily as does the new one sliding in, however you really need two to do it. One to pull it and one to keep it straight. Putting the end caps back on is simply the reverse. Once on, you turn the cap holder in the direction of the arrow, counter clockwise I believe, but follow the arrow. Turn it 21 times and lock down the cap. Done. Depending on your particular model, there may be no need to remove the end caps.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually it is fairly simply. Get up on a ladder and look at the end caps. There should be a hole through each end cap and the rods. Take a large nail or something similar and put through the hole, locking the rod in place and it should come down easily that way. Just be sure to NOT allow the locks to come out or you could get injured severely. It does take more than one person and a lot of ladders since you need to remove the arms, slide the tube/fabric assembly off the trailer and get it on the ground. Then a large CLEAN place to unroll the old fabric and remove it from the roller tube. Replace it with the new fabric and roll it back up and reinstall it on the trailer.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont think its 21 times I think its more like 12.

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this old man at 70 and the wife can do it, I would think most anyone can. Its probably about 1 hours work. Use a pair of visegrip pliers on the shaft area and be careful.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not confident that you understand how to do it the work will cost you about 2 hours labor at a competent RV service center plus the new awning fabric. I just had mine done and was very happy with the results

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did it myself in the driveway with a little help from DW to get the new fabric into the grooves. As long as you are careful not to flip it to the the "retract" position, the awning latch will hold the roller. See my earlier post with pictures.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

borntwotravel

Central IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did ours in about two hours and we also replaced the springs. We soaked the grooves with dish soap/water mix to make sliding in and out easier. We had never done it before. The directions said that my length required 12 turns on the springs. It took 15 to make it work right, so that may be a trial and error session. Respect the spring tension but don't be afraid of it.

Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just had ours done by my dealer. Fabric was $300 and labor was $100 to put it on. Better them do it than me taking a chance on screwing something up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> awning fabric replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS