|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Another Slide Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read slides should be closed for storage, but not the reason why. I can think of a couple, but I'd be speculating.

So that raises this question. If we're living in the TT for months is there any need for concern? Any routine action we should take?

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slides may be left open or closed when in storage. There are ADVANTAGES to leaving it closed which are mostly just keeping items from seeing excess wear. Slide toppers can be weakened somewhat and faded due to sun exposure, roofs are somewhat effected by the sun also. Open leaves the sides of the slide room exposed to UV rays and weather also. None of these would PREVENT me from leaving my slide open if using the RV or even in storage if there were any REASON to do so.

On the OTHER side of the coin, an open slide in many cases provides sun shield for tires on that side of the RV SAVING them from RV radiation. OOPS I MEANT to say UV radiation

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Slides may be left open or closed when in storage. There are ADVANTAGES to leaving it closed which are mostly just keeping items from seeing excess wear. Slide toppers can be weakened somewhat and faded due to sun exposure, roofs are somewhat effected by the sun also. Open leaves the sides of the slide room exposed to UV rays and weather also. None of these would PREVENT me from leaving my slide open if using the RV or even in storage if there were any REASON to do so.

On the OTHER side of the coin, an open slide in many cases provides sun shield for tires on that side of the RV SAVING them from RV radiation. OOPS I MEANT to say UV radiation

Good luck / Skip

What Skip said...no sense in exposing seals, gaskets and slide tops/toppers to UV exposure needlessly. If you aren't going to be in it on a regular basis giving you a reason for leaving them out, you might as well save the wear and tear on them by keeping them closed. Even the shading of the tires should be a non-issue...you should have your tires covered with purpose built covers, in any event, as a good storage practice.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member